Boss SY-1000 -Reviews

Started by Elantric, January 08, 2020, 07:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2020, 04:01:42 PM
Yes, has Haunting mids  . . .

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27337073/

:P

Just hoping the stereo implementation is fulsome and spacious. Haunting even.

mdortona

Can't wait to hear your review of the midi out triggering 🤞🙏🙏🙏. If it's usable live, out comes the Sweetwater card!

plexified

Black ?  you can wrap it and pick any design your wildest dreams can imagine. Local printers will welcome you.  I have to admit I wrapped my GP-10 ;-)

mooncaine

You can get wood grain patterned duck tape. Also diamond-plate steel. I have a pile of these pattern tapes waiting to get smacked all over my guitar one rainy Sunday.

gumbo

I was thinking of wrapping one in images of $100 notes......   ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

Had a busy evening last night  -
Will be another day before I can test SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI performance 

Elantric

Update -  I have tested the SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI performance using its 5 pin MIDI Output feeding a third party MIDI Module  -

the MIDIPlus MINI Engine Plus   

I found acceptable Guitar to MIDI performance. Still must be careful and precise with your playing technique to avoid mis triggers, but I could accomplish solid consistent performance.

I A/B tested SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI Performance vs GR-55 Guitar to MIDI Performance, I observed both exhibit similar latency, but the GR-55 was more prone to sporadic random notes, while the SY-1000 I felt delivered a more consistent performance with fewer mis-triggers,even while playing Dick Dale Miserloo high speed picking, no dropped notes!     

The Fishman Tripleplay delivers lower latency on the low E, A, D strings.

And its possible that after the SY-1000 USB Driver becomes available, the SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI over USB may deliver lower latency than the SY-1000's  5 pin MIDI Out   

arkieboy

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2020, 05:35:21 AM
The Fishman Tripleplay delivers lower latency on the low E, A, D strings.

Theoretically of course you could string your guitar up with top E strings and use alt tuning and guitar modelling to transpose back to EBGDAE and regain a usable regular guitar sound.  I wonder if the SY1000 is good enough to make EBGDDD a practical possibility?

Not a solution for everyone, and not one I would use in every band, but were we to reform Ark I'd definitely give that a go - the last time we played I just did synths for the whole tour.  My guitar amp didn't leave my home.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

... I should add that when I main synths I tend to use a decent analogue synth (I have a Supernova IIR and a Matrix 6R) and a sampler of some kind.  From the spec, and judging by your assessment of the quality of the 'oscillators', the SY might be the only 'analogue' synth I need.  Plug a mac into the USB and run ESX from MainStage and that's the Ark gig sorted in a way I couldn't dream when I bought my GR700/G707 ...

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

QuoteTheoretically of course you could string your guitar up with top E strings and use alt tuning and guitar modelling to transpose back to EBGDAE and regain a usable regular guitar sound.  I wonder if the SY1000 is good enough to make EBGDDD a practical possibility?

Yes that old MIDI Guitar strategy technique would lower latency and is possible on SY-1000. 

Elantric

Quote from: arkieboy on January 10, 2020, 06:20:21 AM
... I should add that when I main synths I tend to use a decent analogue synth (I have a Supernova IIR and a Matrix 6R) and a sampler of some kind.  From the spec, and judging by your assessment of the quality of the 'oscillators', the SY might be the only 'analogue' synth I need.  Plug a mac into the USB and run ESX from MainStage and that's the Ark gig sorted in a way I couldn't dream when I bought my GR700/G707 ...

^ iNDEED thats the type of rig the SY-1000 is targeting
Quote from: randombastage, post: 29798699, member: 21951How does the FTP do with false triggers compared to other devices? I have the FTP right now and was hoping the SY1000 was going to outperform the FTP for pitch to midi.

They are comparable, slight edge to the Tripleplay owing to lower latency on the lower E,A,D strings. Still must use precise playing technique to avoid mistriggers on either system.

By Contrast, the SY-1000 GK-13 pin driving the SY-1000 internal Synths I have not experienced any mis-triggers, its closer to VG-99 performance   

So far my only minor complaints?
* Headphone Out   -  the SY-1000 has a weaker lower decibel  headphone output - which was noticeable when comparing to the GR-55 headphone output

If you review the rear panel, you can see its crowded and the SY-1000  Headphone Out is a shared dual function 1/4" output jack with the Main Left Out Jack

* No 3.5mm TRS AUX Input  - I use this a LOT on my Boss GP-10 for playing along to backing tracks from my portable Sony Recorder, or connecting a $15 Bluetooth Audio receiver for streaming Youtube Guitar videos to practice.

* No Balanced Outputs   - which forces use of a separate stereo passive DI box on larger stages

arkieboy

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2020, 06:29:52 AM
* No Balanced Outputs   - which forces use of a separate stereo passive DI box on larger stages

So the sub outs aren't balanced?  That's inconvenient :-(

admin

Quote from:  Bluesbird on January 10, 2020, 09:30:24 AM
Not to derail this thread, but just wanted to point out that with the release of the Tripleplay Connect, they have added a "monitor hand position" feature to the firmware that has significantly reduced the occurrence of false triggers.

and that FTP "monitor hand position" feature is available to older FTP users via latest firmware update
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14964.msg106864#msg106864

admin

Quote"dlc86 wrote>
How does it compare to the antares atg in that regard?
On SY-1000 DSP Alt tuning patches, I have not detected any warbles, and all (COSM) Guitar Models have been improved ,
owing to the new 32 bit A/D > 32 bit D/A

Antares ATG-1 still owns the "Auto Tune" feature, ( Although the 1995 Roland VG-8 did have a Auto Tune 1st) and Antares ATG DSP Alt tunings on the fly result in a great experience - alas they are history.
I might give slight edge to Antares for the Acoustic models - but there are many methods to work with the Boss SY-1000 Guitar Modeling on tap, using strategies user have discovered for Boss GP-10 ( (Autana)

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admin on January 10, 2020, 09:59:16 AM
On SY-1000 DSP Alt tuning patches, I have not detected any warbles, and all (COSM) Guitar Models have been improved ,
owing to the new 32 bit A/D > 32 bit D/A

Antares ATG-1 still owns the "Auto Tune" feature, ( Although the 1995 Roland VG-8 did have a Auto Tune 1st) and Antares ATG DSP Alt tunings on the fly result in a great experience - alas they are history.
I might give slight edge to Antares for the Acoustic models - but there are many methods to work with the Boss SY-1000 Guitar Modeling on tap, using strategies user have discovered for Boss GP-10 ( (Autana)

The vg8 had a auto tune function, I never used it, so I don't know if it's a different thing than the Antares version.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

lumena

I am getting very excited about this box. There is one demo I would like to request. I would like to hear actual sounds of just the amp sims...
If they sound reasonable that means I could replace all things with only the SY1000, a looper and an FRFR. That would make me extremely eager to buy one.

admin

Quote from: lumena on January 11, 2020, 08:38:32 AM
I am getting very excited about this box. There is one demo I would like to request. I would like to hear actual sounds of just the amp sims...
If they sound reasonable that means I could replace all things with only the SY1000, a looper and an FRFR. That would make me extremely eager to buy one.

Listen to a GT-1000 " just Amps demo - they are same in SY-1000

chrish

Just read over in the frequently asked questions thread that the sy1000 has a bass pitch to midi  function.

The SY1000 and a GK3B will give new life to that 6 string bass over in the corner collecting dust.

Larsson

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2020, 06:29:52 AM
So far my only minor complaints?
* Headphone Out   -  the SY-1000 has a weaker lower decibel  headphone output - which was noticeable when comparing to the GR-55 headphone output

If you review the rear panel, you can see its crowded and the SY-1000  Headphone Out is a shared dual function 1/4" output jack with the Main Left Out Jack

* No 3.5mm TRS AUX Input  - I use this a LOT on my Boss GP-10 for playing along to backing tracks from my portable Sony Recorder, or connecting a $15 Bluetooth Audio receiver for streaming Youtube Guitar videos to practice.

Do you think some of the decision behind the I/O connections have to do with making it fit 19" rack?

I would preferred the I/O section of GT-1000 with the addition of GK-input (that could've been added instead of Amp CTL for example). Like you said, it's a shame there is no 3.5mm TRS AUX input, though GT-1000 doesn't have it either, but at least it has Stereo FX loop, where it's mono on the SY-1000. It would be interesting to know the decisions behind the final hardware. Maybe they could've used TRS connections in FX loop to make it stereo and also in the outputs to have it balanced. XLR would be optimal, but even a TRS balanced out would remove the need of a DI box.

Shingles

Quote from: Larsson on January 12, 2020, 03:05:24 AM
Do you think some of the decision behind the I/O connections have to do with making it fit 19" rack?

I would preferred the I/O section of GT-1000 with the addition of GK-input (that could've been added instead of Amp CTL for example). Like you said, it's a shame there is no 3.5mm TRS AUX input, though GT-1000 doesn't have it either, but at least it has Stereo FX loop, where it's mono on the SY-1000. It would be interesting to know the decisions behind the final hardware. Maybe they could've used TRS connections in FX loop to make it stereo and also in the outputs to have it balanced. XLR would be optimal, but even a TRS balanced out would remove the need of a DI box.

Seems to me the GT1000 is designed to be the main part of a rig, that other (optional) processors connect to and rout into. The SY1000 on the other hand, is one of those other (optional) items designed primarily as an addition to an existing rig. Hence the more limited io.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Frank

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2020, 11:34:01 AM
I have all units here side by side ( VG-99, GP-10, GR-55, SY-300, SY-1000)

The SY-1000 is substantially improved and NOTHING like the poor responding  / glitchy OSC Synths in the GP-10 
Does the "Dynamic Synth" respond in the same way as HRM sounds i.e. changes timbre with palm muting, harmonics etc or are they more like triggered oscillators?

Nobulusprime

It also lacks a guitar out signal jack which I use with the VG99. Could that be routed through the send out?

Couple more questions;

Would you be confident with creating similar synth sounds to the VG99 (with some effort) e.g. emulating sounds like flutes using the pipe synth?

Are the Vio sounds the same or based on the VG8 Vio sounds? I don't really get why the manual talks about different using guitar models with the Vio sounds. As I recall the Vio on the VG8 was a thing on it's own not related to other guitar models.

Frank

Quote from: Nobulusprime on January 13, 2020, 02:01:51 PM
Are the Vio sounds the same or based on the VG8 Vio sounds? I don't really get why the manual talks about different using guitar models with the Vio sounds. As I recall the Vio on the VG8 was a thing on it's own not related to other guitar models.

VIO guitar on the VG-8EX gives you all the guitar models to choose from, with the VIO processing applied to them.

jassy

Nobody attending the NAMM want to share their opinion about the SY1000?
I would like to much to hear more opinions.
Especially on the following matters which are my main doubts:
Its a real evolution over the SY300?, the Dynamic Synth sounds better, less dirty, rough and gritty? more like an analog Synth? or its more or less the same sound and experience?
The OSC synth how is the playing experience? latency, unpredictability, false triggers?
How it compares in the amps and effects department to the GT1000? its 1:1? they are indistinguishable or are different?
any improvement in the guitar emulation department, in the acoustic and nylon sounds Poly FX?
etc?  ;D
Thank you in advance.

paganskins

Quote from: Elantric on January 09, 2020, 09:08:31 AM

Elantric, with the unit in hand could you clarify something for me re the normal input please?

I was wondering what would happen if the 13 pin input and guitar input were both in use, specifically how the unit 'knew' which signal to use as the normal input.

Looking at the reference manual (page 66) and the block diagrams does the normal input feed come from the GK pickup unless you have normal input turned on? And is that on a patch by patch basis?

Many thanks