SY-1000 - Firmware Wish List

Started by admin, December 12, 2019, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

JiveTurkey

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on December 13, 2019, 08:10:05 AM
Realistic PCM sounds
I am with you 100%. I am also 100% certain (well, maybe 98% to keep a little optimism alive) that it probably won't happen  :(

admin

Quote from: hading on December 13, 2019, 07:33:10 AM
I don't know if they will do it, but it had occurred me as well that the blender ought to work perfectly fine being in the app rather than on the box itself.

No equivalent I can find for the SY-300's Blender control on SY-1000
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf

hading

Quote from: admin on December 13, 2019, 08:19:22 AM

Sorry if I was unclear - I meant that it didn't seem like there should be any obstacle to building it into the app should they so choose, not that it was in fact there.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: admin on December 13, 2019, 08:19:22 AM

Yes we know :p we're saying it's not in there so we're adding it to this wish list so that perhaps they can add it or make the app do it :D

JiveTurkey

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 13, 2019, 08:25:00 AM
Yes we know :p we're saying it's not in there so we're adding it to this wish list so that perhaps they can add it or make the app do it :D
If nothing else, an alternate option would be allowing for copy/paste of oscillators/blocks. Not the same but in the ballpark of same intentions, I'd say.

BROCKSTAR

I think if anything I would like to see a randomizer more than anything if we wanna try something new. I LOVEEEEEEEEEE the blender option but imagine a randomizer, or perhaps a randomizer matrix where we can have a page of options that we can randomize anytime. BUT don't randomize it like that damn waldorf blofeld synth. Ugh! I love that synth and use it but the randomizer randomizes every freaking thing and the end results is 98% unusable garbles and noise and stuff. A randomizer matrix would allow us to choose what parameters/effects/options to randomize :D

I'm also proposing the same idea to the empress effects ZOIA staff as well, and hope we get it in there too. I mean alot of synths and some units are coming with a modulation matrix, why not a randomizer matrix :D

hading

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 13, 2019, 08:32:42 AM
I think if anything I would like to see a randomizer more than anything if we wanna try something new. I LOVEEEEEEEEEE the blender option but imagine a randomizer, or perhaps a randomizer matrix where we can have a page of options that we can randomize anytime. BUT don't randomize it like that damn waldorf blofeld synth. Ugh! I love that synth and use it but the randomizer randomizes every freaking thing and the end results is 98% unusable garbles and noise and stuff. A randomizer matrix would allow us to choose what parameters/effects/options to randomize :D

I'm also proposing the same idea to the empress effects ZOIA staff as well, and hope we get it in there too. I mean alot of synths and some units are coming with a modulation matrix, why not a randomizer matrix :D

The last I looked at the data that a Tone Studio app stored (I don't remember if it was for the SY-300 or something else) is was in a pretty simple JSON format, so it seems likely to me that if someone were so inclined this would not be a difficult project save for deciding among the multitude of possible ways to blend or randomize. I will add though, I'm not inclined.  :)

BROCKSTAR

Did I miss it, or is there not a ring modulator? SY-300 had a option to turn 2 OSC's into ring modulation. If not there then I propose adding it back! I also I would like to see maybe some FM (frequency modulation) options. Like the Source Audio C4 has a dedicated FM function in the app to add some FM sounds on I think sine oscillators etc..

You can get FM tones from a ring modulator, but a RM is more AM (amplitude modulation) I think.

I LOVE ring modulators and FM synthesis tones. (love my preenfm2 synth for fm stuff)

admin

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 13, 2019, 08:59:57 AM
Did I miss it, or is there not a ring modulator? SY-300 had a option to turn 2 OSC's into ring modulation. If not there then I propose adding it back! I also I would like to see maybe some FM (frequency modulation) options. Like the Source Audio C4 has a dedicated FM function in the app to add some FM sounds on I think sine oscillators etc..

You can get FM tones from a ring modulator, but a RM is more AM (amplitude modulation) I think.

I LOVE ring modulators and FM synthesis tones. (love my preenfm2 synth for fm stuff)

Page 51
STEREO RING MODULATOR

BROCKSTAR

jassy

Quoteclass compliant mode
class compliant mode
class compliant mode
class compliant mode
Forgot about that, very important, and maybe even doable in a firmware update (or it needs some hardware inside to do this?)

Kenmac

As I said in the other thread, I'd like them to bring back the Gretsch model and add that.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

admin

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BossSY1000Users/?multi_permalinks=437732790228219&notif_id=1576344000042258&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

TJ Trifeletti wrote>
Just taking a second look through the manual. Some things on my wish list are;

True ADSR envelopes for the Dynamic Synth filter and amplitude (it's there on the OCS synth yeah!!!).
Hard sync on the Dynamic Synth.
Self oscillating filters (might be there already, doesn't say).
MIDI and tempo sync the LFOs.
String and fretboard splits of the three instruments when using a GK patch.
Ability to route the synths to the amp modeling.
More modulation destinations for the LFOs like filter resonance, pulse width depth and saw detune depth, FX parameters, etc.
More noise types in the OCS synth.
Bias adjustments in amp modeling.

Unknowns???
Not sure if control assignments can be per preset? I guess they are. Would be dumb if not.
There is something called "virtual expression pedal system". I wonder if that can be used as a 3rd LFO?

Anyways, this thing is deep. I'm clearing my calendar for February lol.

sixeight

Quote from: jassy on December 13, 2019, 09:46:43 AM
Forgot about that, very important, and maybe even doable in a firmware update (or it needs some hardware inside to do this?)

No, it is software entirely. But class compliant midi only supports smaller midi sysex messages per USB packet and the editor needs large sysex messages to function. There are ways around this, a message can be split up in several packets, but as it also involves updating the editor it is unlikely Boss will go this way.

AFAIK Other brands have class compliant USB, but the Kemper does not support audio over USB at all. Helix has class compliant adio and midi, but does not use midi for communication with the editor. I am not sure about the AxeFX 3 if it is class compliant and what protocols are used....

drbill

I'll add my votes.
Full VG-99 suite of hex efx.
Stereo send/return via USB.
Gretch guitar model.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

mooncaine

I will give this some thought, read over the reference manual again, and give a thoughtful answer in a day or so. Thank you for the opportunity.

Smash

Quote from: drbill on December 14, 2019, 02:25:40 PM
Gretch guitar model.

Its listed in the manual, just looks like a formatting issue it didn't get it's own line (hopefully).

I think some requests rely on the assumption the CPU has something left under the hood which probably isn t the case. I'm sure if it was possible to add 500 series delay/reverb they would.

The Boss approach seems to be you will always have the complete list of effects available whereas Line 6 take an "effects on a CPU cost share basis" which has obvious pros but also can be frustrating - I like knowing I'll never hit a CPU wall.

I'd request that the edit software has the ability to import an instrument set up from any other patch. So if you've set up a mind blowing synth after slaving away you can simply import the instrument and it's settings into another patch

slooky

Definitely Tera Echo. Glad to see the Slow Gear in this unit!

chrish

I'm a bit confused as to the quality of the fxss in the Boss line.

Are the 500/200 series better then the GT1000 for example?

And what quality level is in the sy1000?

Does the sy1000 have the Same quality fxs as sy300? I know Boss doesn't necessarily include all the fx types.

To my ear the VG 99 has quality fxs  is better than the sy300.

Thanks

fabzx

For the bass side   ;D :

"multi-band " setting for the compressor (fx section)

really good and useful...

BROCKSTAR

From my understanding the SY-300 had pretty much same quality FX as the 500 series from what I heard from others before? And the 200 series is the same as the 500 pretty much.

admin

Quote from: chrish on December 16, 2019, 08:33:03 AM
I'm a bit confused as to the quality of the fxss in the Boss line.

Are the 500/200 series better then the GT1000 for example?

And what quality level is in the sy1000?

Thanks

Review the PDF docs for the unit under review

review the list of available effects

of the available effects, review the list of available Controls

in general the 500 series has additional controls  / capabilities   

OzzySlant

Third party IR for sure! It allows so much user flexibility even in modelling acoustic guitars and what not. So much possibility in a simple IR loader, and so much limitation in excluding it from a product like this. Honestly I think no device like this should exclude third party IR:s anymore from 2020, it should be the law or something ;D Just include it, always, and many people will be happy!

admin

Quote from: OzzySlant on December 18, 2019, 11:50:49 AM
Third party IR for sure! It allows so much user flexibility even in modelling acoustic guitars and what not. So much possibility in a simple IR loader, and so much limitation in excluding it from a product like this. Honestly I think no device like this should exclude third party IR:s anymore from 2020, it should be the law or something ;D Just include it, always, and many people will be happy!

^ I agree - but it seems the culture at Roland/Boss is not on board  with the idea of supporting third party solutions

Remember the GT-1000 initially had zero Cab IR file support, only after a lot complaints from dealers and users did Boss find spare memory space to support loading third party Cab IR files on GT-1000. I'll communicate this need for SY-1000 with Yoshi at 2020 Winter NAMM