RPI - DAW on RPI

Started by admin, December 10, 2019, 07:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Reaper on RPI

admin

https://www.gearnews.de/raspberry-pi-daw-musik-computer-arm-64-bit/

Can the Raspberry PI 4 replace our DAWs soon?

Raspberry PI 4 teaser DAW Hand
Will the new RPI bring the revolution to the studios? ·  Source: Raspberry / Claudius

The Raspberry PI is a complete miniature computer. Everything is on a circuit board that, including the standard housing, is barely larger than two matchboxes - that's pretty compact when you consider that there are a lot of connections. It can also be expanded. But is all that enough to replace a DAW computer at some point or will it stay with the DIY PC for nerds and hackers forever?

Raspberry PI
The little calculator is really potent. The Raspberry PI was launched in 2012 and the fourth version is now available. There is a 64 bit ARM CPU with 1.5 GHz (Cortex A72), 1-4 GB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, WLAN, Bluetooth, USB3 and USB3, two 4K monitor outputs plus 4K 60 Hz decoder (HEVC video) and the part is also expandable.

And the most blatant: The Open.Source computer costs between 35 and 60 euros for the finished board - depending on the RAM configuration. Quite a bit, especially for Made in the UK. There is a precise check for IT people at Heise .

Raspberry PI 4 complete barebone board
circuit board
Raspberry PI 4 USB connections
4 USB ports
Raspberry PI 4 case
Raspberry PI 4 with housing

POOR
The problem with the distribution as a desktop PC is on the one hand the sometimes rather poor performance, especially the graphics unit is not really sufficient for games or complex programs. It is a mix of craft calculator and multimedia PC . I myself had been running KODI on the second model for a long time (a kind of multimedia system directly on the TV that also plays YouTube, Netflix and Co), now he controls my NAS .

Some work on the computer. The problem is the CPU architecture. ARM is (to put it simply) a different processor architecture that needs different software. But iPad and Co also run with ARM CPUs or Apple's derivatives A9 and A10. The technology and development for it is just not as common as for x64 , the great technology for conventional computers with Windows and macOS.

An example of using an ARM processor in a sound generator is Critter and Guitari Organelle .

DAW
Tracktion Waveform (Version 9 here)
Tracktion Waveform also runs on Raspberry PI

Technology and software are therefore available separately. The only thing missing is the union of the two. A normal Linux runs on the Raspberry PI (provided it does not use eye candy and complex animations), meanwhile there is also a Windows 10 descendant for ARM architecture. Where there is a GNU / Linux, there is also known software for it.

Tracktion developed the DAW waveform in parallel for ARM. Also Ardor from our leaderboard is available for ARM. And Reaper also has an (at least) experimental ARM built. The NON-DAC is designed specifically for Raspberry developed . The conventional DAWs come with everything that can also be used with Windows and macOS. Additional plug-ins could come from CALF , for example . Regardless of that, I find it highly recommended .

It has also been proven that you can make music with the old Raspberry PI 2 . The only question is whether the effort is now less?

synthesizer
However, the RPI can host much more than just an operating system or DAW. It can also control software synthesizers. There are several projects to be emphasized, mMn TronPi (Mellotron), Joytone , Looper / Synth / Drum Thing, FM Touch Synth and Zynthian . All are based on the small craft calculator and thus generate their sounds. However, these are standalone versions and not for "in the DAW".

Software synthesizer in the DAW
If you want to control them directly from the DAW, you should look for names like ZynAddSubFX, Helm or Amsynth .

Basically, all software synthesizers that run on iOS also work. The problem is the restrictions of the different systems. A program for iOS has to be written completely differently than for Linux. Even if they are not dissimilar, they build on other libraries and structures. The adjustment for Raspberry Pi is not financially worthwhile for the manufacturers. There is a lot of ideology involved.

Guitar Amps
The iOS thesis also applies here. In reality, the offer is limited to Guitarix . It is a virtual amp for Linux that has to be controlled via JACK . Guitarix can sound really good, but it takes a little more training time than GuitarRig and Co.

Raspberry PI - a dream of the future?
Will the Raspberry PI replace our computers for making music sometime in the near future? Would be at least one possibility. A DAW is not that expensive and audio calculation to a certain extent does not require as much power. If you can make music on iPhone and iPad , it's been on a Raspberry PI for a long time.

It also has another advantage: it is completely open source . That means: The hardware is often open source and can be changed and expanded as required. Everyone can develop for it. So he was able to assert himself and is quite common, especially among hobbyists . There are also areas of application for children, such as learning to program or controllers for technical devices in workshops (3D printers, milling, etc.). You can really do a lot with it, from controlling smart homes to garage doors and motion detectorsfor outside lighting or external interface at NASA. You just have to know how to properly secure the devices so that no one tricks them. Höhö .

I think the Raspberry PI has a good chance of being a DAW PC. But it will always remain a niche. The nerd status is on his neck, which discourages many audio people. And yes, whoever relies on Linux also has to be a bit willing to tinker, even if the systems are now really maintenance-friendly and console-free . I am currently sitting on a Linux as I type that. For everything about office tasks, I would still change the computer. Maybe that will change soon. I would be glad.

Do you use Raspberry PI?
And now you! Do you use the RPI? Are you going to get the new Raspberry PI 4?

Have you ever associated him with audio? Tell us your stories!

billbax

Other single-board computer options. Liking the look of the speedy Odroid N2 with Linux Mate.

SBC Video Editing: Raspberry Pi 4 vs Odroid N2 & Jetson Nano

SBC Odroid N2 hex-core review.