Boss SY-1000 - Boss Introduces the SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

Started by admin, December 05, 2019, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffata

Hopefully an eventual Group Buy can be arranged?
Gotta start to sell off some things.
Though my 99 will never leave my possession.

szilard

Quote from: ffata on December 05, 2019, 09:21:22 AM
Hopefully an eventual Group Buy can be arranged?
I hope so - it looks like a box full of fun to me. I want one.

hippietim

It looks like I can sell my V-Bass and SY-300 but the VG-8 and VG-99 will need to stay.

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

chrish

Quote from: brockdavisson on December 05, 2019, 09:10:20 AM
If it doesn't have PCM sounds then why the hex pickup? Hex pickup just for amp/guitar modelling or something, that would be lame.... The better solution would have been to have PCM, sy-300, amp/effect modelling all in one system which is what i thought this was? If not, then nope count me out 100%
hex does the separate string poly fx, guitar pitch to midi, alternate tunings and solves the muddyness and poor poly pitch extraction that is in the sy300.

BROCKSTAR

So far I haven't seen a blender for sy-1000. So maybe not that good of an option to get rid of your sy-300 so fast as the blender is powerful.

admin

Quote from: chrish on December 05, 2019, 09:53:18 AM
hex does the separate string poly fx, guitar pitch to midi, alternate tunings and solves the muddyness and poor poly pitch extraction that is in the sy300.

And assignable bender per string - for "B" bender emulation and pedal steel effects  - ( not possible on Variax ) 

BROCKSTAR

I understand what the hex is doing now for it... but I would have enjoyed it more if it was PCM stuff like gr-33 / SY-300 / effect/amp/guitar modelling all in one with bonus option of allowing us to use the hex for vst's or into real synths etc... That would have been something I would have thought about more. I don't really care about what the hex can do for the sy-1000 really right now.

Smash

You can use the hex to drive VSTis and real synths!  ???

On top of that it gives you 3 individual alt tunings for each of the 3 instrument parts.

I can't actually see anything tgat prevents you from running 3 different modelled guitars, or 3 basses. It looks incredibly flexible.

Note: no mention of AIRD  :)

admin

Quote from: JiveTurkey, post: 29610133, member: 126265Do you happen to know the dimensions, Elantric? You've been quiet as of late :anon:D
13.58 inch (345mm) × 9.64 inch (245mm)× 2.64 inch (67mm)

carlb

Hope they threw the ring modulator back in. Precise-tuned ring mod is so cool to play fusion solos in given keys.

Has an effects loop, excellent! Guessing mono, otherwise they'd be mentioning stereo and would see something toward that on the back jacks. Some will be bummed.

Guessing the reverbs are borrowed from the GT-1000. How are those? One area that the GP-10 could have been stronger in.

For the "three instruments types," can you have two separate modeled types or are they talking the three being  'one-modeled and/or one-synth and/or one-mono-mag-pickup'?"

For me it's great they kept the size reasonable. I'll integrate it into my roll-up and play rig.

So glad Roland/Boss has produced a new generation 13-pin flagship processor, and one I can use. Pre-ordered one. With the updated amp models, no reason for me to keep an Ax-FX FM3 on order.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

CodeSmart

Here's the Basic SY-1000 Manual in Japanese:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_jpn01_W.pdf

I'm so happy they released this new product.
I'll probably ditch my GP-10 and pair this with my GR-55 so I get two PCM synths on top of all the SY-1000 synth engines out to PA.
It will be massively fat! ;D

Note: Google Translate will translate this PDF from Japanese to other language. However it appear that the images will be lost.
https://translate.google.com/?tr=f&hl=en#view=home&op=docs&sl=auto&tl=en
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

The manual states the USB connection require a SY-1000 USB driver in the PC (indicating not class compliant)

Up to 10 different GK Settings may be stored

GK Pickup modes:
GK-3.      Select when using the Roland GK-3.
GK-2A.   When using the Roland GK-2A or using a guitar with a built-in pickup (commercially available).
GC-1.      Select this when using the Roland V-Guitar GC-1.
PIEZO.    Piezo pickup(Flat characteristics)
PIEZO F.    Fishman
PIEZO G.   Graph Tech
PIEZO L.    LR Baggs
PIEZO R.   RMC

GK PU TYPE(Bass mode)Description
GK-3B.   Select when using the GK-3B.
GK-2B.   When using the Roland GK-2B, or using a bass with a built-in pickup (commercially available).
PIEZO.   Piezo pickup(Flat characteristics)
PIEZO G.    Graph Tech
PIEZO R.     RMC

The SY-1000 consists of three sound sources (INST blocks) and effects (FX blocks) that can be freely connected.
Sources
INST1
INST2
INST3
NORMAL

Blocks:
FX1,FX2,FX3 (various effects)
EQ1, EQ2
DLY1, DLY2 (delay)
FV1, FV2 (foot volume)
SUB L / R
CMP (compressor)
DS (distortion)
AMP (amplifier emulation)
NS (noise suppressor)
S / R (send/receive jacks)
CHO (chorus)
MST DLY (master delay)
REV (reverb)
DIV
MIX
MAIN L / R
MST (master settings)

A group of INST settings and effect combinations is called a "patch".A group of four patches is called a "bank".Patches are organized into banks (1 to 50) and numbers (1 to 4), and 200 patches can be saved
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mooncaine

Quote from: szilard on December 05, 2019, 09:26:38 AM
I hope so - it looks like a box full of fun to me. I want one.
I'll buy into that. [edit: I mean, if you're putting together a group buy, I'm in. I'll buy into that offer]

whippinpost91850

If it doesn't have PCM type realistic sounds ,I'll be able to save my Money

The pitch to MIDI would have to be "Steller" for me to buy it

mchad

Quote from: gumbo on December 05, 2019, 06:08:40 AM
Suggested Selling Price in Oz is 1799 AUD....current conversion is approx equal to 1228 USD...
...at least they aren't gouging as much as usual... ::)

Yikes. And there I was thinking SY1000 plus a killer amp modeller/multi effector and I'll be done. I'll be penniless more like it.

admin

Quote from: mchad on December 05, 2019, 12:52:55 PM
Yikes. And there I was thinking SY1000 plus a killer amp modeller/multi effector and I'll be done. I'll be penniless more like it.

Dont get confused with exchange rates
SY-1000 has a MSRP of $1000 USD in USA 
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SY1000--boss-sy-1000-guitar-synthesizer-pedal

carlb

Quote from: mchad on December 05, 2019, 12:52:55 PM
<...> I was thinking SY1000 plus a killer amp modeller/multi effector and I'll be done. <...>

The SY-1000 inherits amp modeling and effects from the GT-1000, if I'm understanding correctly. So depending on your thoughts about those effects and amp models, the SY-1000 just might be your one-stop-shop.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

whippinpost91850

I'm  bummed.... I really wanted an updated replacement for my GR55's  :'(

aliensporebomb

Still keeping my VG-99!

But, the spiritual inheritor of the GR-55 mantle combining the best features of the SY-300 with the GK input.

I think I'm going to have to get one of these.  I hope my GP-10 won't be jealous.

The sad thing - I feel TOTALLY blindsided by this - it was announced and almost a day passed before I got it into my head that the image of the device wasn't a mock-up produced by someone who made it as a "this could exist someday" but a real thing.   And we had just been talking about "what do we want to see in a new device?"

Anyone have a patch list?  We know the hex is driving some kind of actual synthesizer but what kind?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

2pods

I'd really like to know what guitar and bass models are there. Is it just the stuff from the GP10 and GR55, or is there models the aforementioned didn't have, from the VG99 and VB99 ?

VIO...?
Virtual instrument ?
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

scratch17

This unit has potential. Without a manual available yet, we will have to wait and see. How long we will have to wait is an open question.

It is interesting that Roland releases this tease so close to Winter NAMM. I doubt actual product will hit retailer's shelves before the second quarter of 2020. Maybe longer. But Winter NAMM should provide us with a lot more information.

From the video, it is obvious that the built in synth engines track with great accuracy and speed. That's all well and good.

The question I have is, how well does the pitch to MIDI work? If the SY-1000 doesn't do soft synth tracking as well as with its built in hardware, I am not sure that I can see it in my future. I might stick with my VG-99.

However, if it tracks my soft synths and Kontakt instruments as well or better than my Triple Play, I will pony up and buy one.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio