FTP connect hardware mode

Started by Phorton, November 06, 2019, 02:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorton

Does anyone know if, by default, or via some kind of ui on the device itself, if the wired version can be gotten into, pardon my terminology, "hardware mode", or as they confusingly call it "monophonic mode", where, absent any Fishman software, but acting as a USB midi compliant device to hardware and software of my choosing, where it transmits on 6 separate midi channels, one per string?

I personally have a pretty passionate love-hate relationship with the FTP.

I think it is a beautiful piece of hardware, worthy of awe and the great Fishman name.

I think they are completely off base with the software aspects of this device, however.

The proper approach would have been to deliver this hardware with a well thought out and published midi and programming api, and to allow software experts to create the software. They *could* if they want, bundle rudimentary software with it, but you should not be forced to use their software with beautiful little piece of hardware.

Instead, they have taken the totally closed proprietary route.  It's really a shame because the device has so much more potential than they are able to deliver with either their in-house, or partner, developers.  The original one I got was so laden with complicated software, that I never used. The iPad software they bundled at that time was soon, and easily replaced with the $20 version from the app store.

I have taken some serious efforts to reverse engineer the midi implantation of the wireless device.  I can read and write patches to it, adjust the string sensitivity parameters, and pretty much "get at" any parameter that affect it's behavior as generic compliant midi device. I even at some point pasted the basics of how to do into this forum, but nobody ever seemed to care.

I care however. A lot.

As I am in the middle of a multi-year development project, largely centered around the FTP, I am wondering if the wired version can act the same. And I am also very interested to hear from anyone who has hacked, or otherwise reverse engineered one, or both, of these devices.

And finally, as always, I would very much like fishman to simply publish a decently written guide to the midi implantation of these devices, as used to be the norm of midi music hardware producers, and give us a chance to make it dance and sing.

Your sales wold jump from tens to hundreds of thousands, and you could lower the price by not bundling 5 programs for 3 operating systems and the associated costs in supporting that complexity.

kevorkian

I have a similar interest and posted the following a few months back:

Quote from: kevorkian on July 29, 2019, 09:25:03 PM

I figured out how to get the Connect into Mono mode:

Poly = Bank #0
Mono = "Bank #1

So, to enable Mono mode you just need to send a bank change specifying bank #1 to  the "TP Guitar" MIDI Output.

Simple enough to do, but harder to discover than it should have been (Thankfully the FC-1 displays the MIDI mode clearly as you scroll through the presets).

Fishman would do well to share some additional documentation about these features.

kevorkian

@Phorton

I missed your previous post but I would be interested to hear more about the project you are working on as well as any FTP-related control info you are willing to share.

I still have a number of plans surrounding modifying the connect that I'm just starting to get back to.

Thanks!

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Les Paul Special on November 06, 2019, 02:47:35 PM
According to Fishman:

"There is also "Hardware Mode" which allows for more advanced functionality when no TriplePlay software is running; you need to hold down the "Up" button while powering up the controller. (For Connect controller it is the button closest to the pickup wire, for TP Wireless controller it is the button that is closest to the Fishman logo.) If you plug into an FC-1 the controller will also function as if in Hardware Mode. Lots of info available on this forum about Basic and Hardware Mode."

However, I have tried this and it doesn't seem to work in getting the Fishman Connect into mono mode.
When the unit is switched into Hardware Mode, it uses an internally stored list of Hardware Patches. By default that list of Hardware Patches is set up so that the first 128 are set to "Poly Mode". So I recommend downloading and installing the Mac or Windows TriplePlay software v1.4.177 or newer (which supports the Connect controller), then use that software to edit and save the first one or two Hardware Patches to be the settings that you want, i.e. "Mono Mode". Then the method you mentioned in your post will work easily; otherwise you have to scroll past the first 128 "Poly" Hardware Patches, or use a MIDI bank select/program change.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Phorton on November 06, 2019, 02:00:10 PM
Does anyone know if, by default, or via some kind of ui on the device itself, if the wired version can be gotten into, pardon my terminology, "hardware mode", or as they confusingly call it "monophonic mode", where, absent any Fishman software, but acting as a USB midi compliant device to hardware and software of my choosing, where it transmits on 6 separate midi channels, one per string?

Yes, the Connect controller supports the same features/commands/protocol as the wireless version.

FYI, "Hardware Mode" means the controller uses internally stored "Hardware Patches" which have settings that allow (among other things) selection of Mono vs Poly operation, transposition, dynamics, pick vs fingerstyle, etc.

You need to use the Mac/Win software to edit and save the Hardware Patches to achieve the settings that you want. BTW you don't need any plugins to edit HW patches. The Connect controller requires TriplePlay Mac/Win software 1.4.177 or later.

Once you have some number of HW patches set the way you like, you can use the controller without any Fishman software. As stated elsewhere in this thread, to power up in Hardware Mode, for the Connect controller, hold down the Up button (closest to the pickup wire) while plugging in the unit, and for the wireless controller hold down the Up button (closest to the Fishman logo) while switching it on.

vtxtc1

I'm new to the forum and have read your posts for months. I have the connect and the fc1. After some time, I have the connect and fc1 running on my pc with my mks50 connected to the midi out of the fc1. All included software plays beautifully as does the mks50.  After renaming all my mks50 patches in the Fishman software the fc1 changes hardware patches with names. The expression pedal on the fc1 won't control anything on the mks50, only the triple play software mixer. The software mixer won't input any audio signals from mks50 or guitar while using the mks patches. To get mod pedal and switch I hooked my old gm70 to the midi in on the fc1 just for a controller. I use my Roland strat with the Fishman connect pickup allowing me to input my gr300 to the guitar challenge. That is my home system. Wish I could use the software mixer with the mks.

I gave up on a mobile iPad system after bad tracking issues with all the poly mode synths on iOS. Then I found Layr and set up 6 copies of each preset on midi channels 1-6 and restricted each channel to note range of string. I can use Layr without connect software but tracks a bit better with it. I start the connect software, turn off sounds 1, 2 and clips and start Layr. I use the TP software for changing global string bend and the tuner functions. Tracks and sounds amazing with only the guitar and iPad.
My new quest is for a foot control program change/mod pedal Bluetooth Unit. I was unable to get Layr to respond to any fc1 switches and pedal signals. I'm waiting for IK to respond about compatibility with Layr and their blueboard unit. Both connect switches on pickup are only assignable to: sound one, two, combo 1, 2 octave up, down... No response from Layr from any assignment. Have no idea what these transmit but on Layr channel 1 shows activity when I push either button.

Hope some of this is useful for something. The info for the Fishman is so scattered on the web.

Smash

Quote from:  Smash on April 10, 2020, 04:23:16 PM
Try MIDIflow - you can indidualky process and output midi channels to ehatever app you  want and much more plus it will show exactly what's being transmitted when you press the connect buttons

vtxtc1

Thanks Smash,
     I already have midiflow. I used it to sequence a hardware synth. I have Aum now too. I am ready to spring for the IK Blueboard to control LayR. Between audiobus, aum, and midiflow one should allow the Blueboard to control LayR.

Smash

Use the midiflow monitor function to see what message the FTP connect is putting out

vtxtc1

Smash,
          I was just musing over that very problem when I read your post. I was able to ditch the connect app by holding down the top button while plugging into the iPad. Wait a bit after plugging in before you release the button.
I turned on the midi monitor and both buttons on the Connect transmit:
           PITCH 16 00000
           PITCH 15 00000

And so on from 16 down to 1

Must be note and midi channels
Does that mean it transmits note #00000 on all 16 midi channels? Can I assign this to do anything? Both buttons transmit the same continuous message.

Thanks for helping

vtxtc1

Well I found both buttons work well as a midi note-off command. If I let the strings sustain and push either button all sounds stop immediately. Too bad I can't invert it to a sustain button. Why have two useless controllers in hardware mode?

Guess they might work as panic buttons if something jams. Maybe a future firmware update will address triple play control button assignments.

vtxtc1

Now I can get:

Top button

CC063 08 002

CC063 08 018

Bottom button

CC063 08 003

CC063 08 019

Smash

Ah OK - great - you've sussed it.

Meanwhile I've been looking at Layr- that really is perfect fit for FTP - good call

vtxtc1

Super easy to edit Layr and share your banks between software. Just put Layr on my iPhone too and transferred my entire edited-for-guitar bank. Plays great on the phone and can plug phone into a powered speaker (using Bluetooth is too much lag) and walk around the yard playing the best tracking guitar synth I've ever owned.
Only waited 40 years for this

80Hz

Quote from: FishmanSoftware on November 07, 2019, 02:26:19 PM
...or the Connect controller, hold down the Up button (closest to the pickup wire) while plugging in the unit, and for the wireless controller hold down the Up button (closest to the Fishman logo) while switching it on.

Do you have to do this every time, or will it default to hardware mode if that was the last setting used?

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp