Red Bishop Accu-Locator

Started by lespauled, October 24, 2019, 07:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

Thanks to a thread on another forum, I decided to check out the Red Bishop ACCU-LOCATOR/Intonation Adjuster for Floyd Rose, Ibanez EDGE, Schaller, GOTOH 1996T

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NST2LSB

I changed the FU-Tone brass block in my Lynch Sunburst Tiger, back to the stock block, because in this one guitar, it made the guitar too bright. My other guitars, including other Lynch guitars, have the FU-Tone brass block and it significantly enhanced the sound in those guitars. In this one guitar, it sounds better without the large brass block. After putting the bridge back together, I took a photo of the original saddle locations, and got as close as I could without using any tools to get it close.

I knew that I was ordering the Accu-Locator, so I waited for it to show up and test it on this guitar.

It showed up yesterday, and my first impression was that it was made really well. Has a little weight to it. It seems really well made.

I took out the Tiger and used the accu-locator to set the intonation. After one use, I am completely sold. I can say that I will never use "The Key" ever again. I've been using "The Key" for many years and it did a great job most of the time. The problem arises when the Floyd is close to the body. Since it attaches to the string locking screws, which are under the plate, there is little room to fit it on some floyds. Another "issue" is that it pushes the locking screw down, making the note sharp. So, you have to adjust the tuning and get it right after you install it, and tune the string again when you remove it.

None of these pitfalls happen with the Accu-locator. It rides on top, and not on the locking screws. It connects to the base plate, and inserts into the saddle behind the lock block. Installs in seconds, without having to change anything. You unlock the locking nut. Tune the strings. Connect it. Loosen the intonation lock screw, then use the tool to tune the string. If you connect it with enough tension, the string is already in tune. Then you check the intonation. Make adjustments using the tool using the large blue wheel, which makes it very easy. Much easier than the screw on The Key. Tune the string after any adjustment via the neck tuners. Tighten the intonation screw, and the access to it is easy because the tool makes sure you have slot to fit the allen key to tighten it. No need to retune the string after removing it, since you locked the saddle in place. But, being anal, I checked anyway, and it was spot on.

Intonation with The Key could take 10 minutes, especially if there is little room, or it pops off on some Floyd-like trem systems. I did the intonation in under 4 minutes with the Accu-locator. No problems whatsoever. I am thrilled with this tool. I doubt I will be using the key in the future. This is my new go-to intonation tool.

Thanks to that thread, I have a new tool that not only works on Floyd Rose trems, but others also. Highly recommended.