Windows 10 stupid drivers

Started by gekomax, September 06, 2019, 10:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brion

Quote from: kenact on January 25, 2021, 07:02:19 PM
There are hackers in this world? :)

Nearly 50 years of IT

There *are* hackers in the world; It might not be 'this' world...  Maybe in a parallel universe that coincides with our observable universe, but only when our computers report, "You're PC may be infected with malware!  Please click here to download [fake product here]," (and MORE malware!)
LOL!!!
Computer Science.
Nearly a juxtaposition, (oxymoron).
Regarding the 'scientific method' with a perspective eye to CompSci; I believe there's still more chaos than organization; especially with the likes of Microsoft attempting to bring 'order out of chaos!'

kenact

Quote from: Brion on January 27, 2021, 07:08:09 AM
"You're PC may be infected with malware!  Please click here to download [fake product here]," (and MORE malware!)

I've fixed many a pc & mac, whose owners were called by Windows Support, and iCloud support. I keep getting both of those calls on a fairly regular basis. I usually hurl some expletive before hanging up on them. :)
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumtown

Quote from: kenact on January 27, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
I've fixed many a pc & mac, whose owners were called by Windows Support, and iCloud support. I keep getting both of those calls on a fairly regular basis. I usually hurl some expletive before hanging up on them. :)
Or if you have some spare time and bored, keep them on the phone as long as you can . . . . . . cup of coffee. . . . . . . . . . . then finally ask where are these settings I need to access in Linux?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

philjynx

Quote from: kenact on January 27, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
When my brother in law gets calls like that he says 'Oh, you need to speak to my wife about that, hold on'. He then puts the phone on mute, and goes back to watching TV or whatever else he was doing with a grin on his face.

mooncaine

Before mobile phones, I used to love putting unsolicited marketing callers/scammers on hold, or talking some nonsense to them. Two of my riffs:

"OK, please hold."   Wait, come back and pretend to be a different person: "Social Security number, please?" No matter what they say, just say, "Social please? Please spell your last name" and "Sorry, didn't get your social. I need that to continue."

Also, I only did this once, but: "What's your name again?  OK, yeah, hi, Lawrence.... so... (in a quieter voice) what are you wearing?" Hard to keep from laughing.

During this pandemic I stayed up all night watching youtubes of a guy's screen video as he takes these calls, then messes with them, soaking up their time while he collects info to embarrass them with. I think it's his hobby to be a white-hat hacker, punching scammers in the plums. It was fun to hear them squirm. My favorite part was when he pretended to transfer the money, then placed the hacker's access to his screen on 'pause', edited the HTML in the bank page on his browser, then unpaused it. "Oh, there it is, it went through." "Are you sure, sir, it didn't show up on my side." "Well, there it is, you can see it. You're the expert, you tell me!"

Also, in the days when people actually called wrong numbers a lot, I used to answer with a fake biz spiel if I was in a good mood, like 'Gooood morning, thank you for calling Great Lakes Heating & Air, hot or not, we're the best ya got, this is Stan, what can I do ya for?"

Brion

Try this?
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/gr-55/updates_drivers/c3e42923-7040-4113-b502-8cd602a1b680/

It should show a 'download' button at the bottom....

This is the only way I could get the driver into my system.  Once there, it worked EXACTLY as we all would expect!  The audio driver and MIDI driver are there and work perfectly with DAWs and the Floorboard and Librarian utilities.

Please let me know if this helps.

Benjazz31

I had the same problem. Replacing the usb cable with another solved the problem. Although the 1st cable worked on my printer, it did not work with the GR55 and my laptop.
sometimes the problem is simpler than it seems.