Delete

Started by Bluesbird, August 21, 2019, 08:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesbird

Delete

admin

Quote from: Les Paul Special on August 21, 2019, 08:16:39 AM
My Tripleplay Connect arrived yesterday.  Installed and selected Tripleplay Connect as a midi input device in Ableton in Windows 10. I did two latency tests with the high e string and each time received a pitch to midi conversion time of 14 ms.  Is there some setting in the Tripleplay that will improve upon latency once the application is available for Mac and Windows?

IMHO - 14ms is as good as it gets on Windows

will be a bit lower latency on a Mac.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Les Paul Special on August 21, 2019, 10:31:34 AM
I don't think it is an OS issue as the low E is getting the expected latency of ~ 14 ms.  Maybe they compensated the latency for the higher strings to make it uniform across all strings or maybe it will operate differently in Mono mode. Strange.

In the TriplePlay Mac/Win software, if you choose "Pick" vs "Fingerstyle" under "Touch Sensitivity", you should be able to achieve lower latency for the high strings. I'm sure there are many past discussions/measurements on this subject here on this forum.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Les Paul Special on August 21, 2019, 11:29:44 AM
So out of the box, without further configuration, it is skipping the first recognition cycle (fingerstyle mode) hence the longer than expected latency. I will try that when the Windows/Mac software is updated for the Connect. Thank you for the helpful information.

So it turns out that I was incorrect.

I apologize for spreading misinformation; I spoke with Andras Szalay and he indicated that you are seeing a change in functionality introduced to reduce the occurrence of high-pitched false notes. Therefore with the latest firmware available in the TP Connect and the Connect iOS app, it should track more reliably in general, but you no longer have a way to get extra-low latency from the high strings.

After this change was made we added the feature "Monitor Hand Position", which seems to be particularly effective at reducing false notes.
Note that we have always had available the option to choose "Fingerstyle" touch mode, which tends to reduce false notes.

So I would like the folks from this forum to weigh in on the following questions (no promises from Fishman implied!)
1) For those that have tried the new "Monitor Hand Position", how effective is it in your estimation?
2) How important is it to you to have an option for extra-low latency on the high strings (even if it means more likelihood of false notes) vs consistent latency from all strings (with fewer false notes)?
3) Any other thoughts?

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Les Paul Special on August 21, 2019, 08:16:39 AM
My Tripleplay Connect arrived yesterday.  Installed and selected Tripleplay Connect as a midi input device in Ableton in Windows 10. I did three latency tests with the high e string and each time received a pitch to midi conversion time of over 16 ms. The output latency of my audio interface is 3 ms. so with a zero latency synth plugin, it would take 19 ms from hitting the high e string to hear the sound from the softsynth--not good!

(Edit: earlier stated the conversion time as 14 ms., but that was comparing the difference between the audio and the midi after the audio reached the daw, which in my case is over 2 ms. after hitting the string, so the true conversion time has to add this in.)

Time to switch to Mac!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973