Yonac Roxsyn Guitar Synthesizer

Started by Vaultnaemsae, July 24, 2019, 10:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Sorry when you said it's been done I thought you meant combo of Roxsyn style synth and EHX tech which is what I was suggesting.

The vid just sounds like a guitar which is why I asked - Roxsynth does not sound anything like that!

We're kind of making assumptions about what Roxsyn does under the hood.

Splash a tenner and try it - you might like it:)

chrish

Quote from: Smash on August 02, 2019, 08:14:27 AM

The vid just sounds like a guitar which is why I asked - Roxsynth does not sound anything like that!

We're kind of making assumptions about what Roxsyn does under the hood.

I'm speculating going off what Bill said after he listened to the Raw wave form and looking at the control panel which doesn't appear to show virtual oscillators.

My point is that morphing a guitar sting into a fuzz wave, passing that signal into pitch shifters and filters, modulating the filters, pitch and amp (amp mostly adding sustain) with envelopes and LFOs is old hat in the guitar world and  effectively done by electro-harmonix.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/distortion-riding-the-wave-1

"Most of us love good distortion. Saying that sounds weird, but distorting a signal in a musically useful way is an incredibly complex process. The simplest signal waveform, a sine wave, can help illustrate how it works, although a guitar produces a tone much more like a sawtooth wave than a sine wave. The trick is to clip the waveforms; here's how it happens."

Quote from: Smash on August 02, 2019, 08:14:27 AM

Splash a tenner and try it - you might like it:)
I depend on the members here to thoroughly test a guitar product before I make a purchase decision. :)

jassy

Roxsyn is a good surprise.
it's the first complete software guitar synth It was time for someone to decide to do it. surely the new batch of guitarsynth pedals has influenced it.
it sounds very synth alike with a more pure sound compared to the sy300 I have and it has a very complete substractive synth estructure with vca envelope which the sy lacks.
The polyphony is very limited, maybe a bit less advanced than others, this is the least advanced aspect in general as we all know.
So congratulations to Yonac for this one. I hope other developers works in this interesting area.

Smash

Quote from: chrish on August 03, 2019, 02:34:20 PM
My point is that morphing a guitar sting into a fuzz wave, passing that signal into pitch shifters and filters, modulating the filters, pitch and amp (amp mostly adding sustain) with envelopes and LFOs is old hat in the guitar world and  effectively done by electro-harmonix.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/distortion-riding-the-wave-1

"Most of us love good distortion. Saying that sounds weird, but distorting a signal in a musically useful way is an incredibly complex process. The simplest signal waveform, a sine wave, can help illustrate how it works, although a guitar produces a tone much more like a sawtooth wave than a sine wave. The trick is to clip the waveforms; here's how it happens."
I depend on the members here to thoroughly test a guitar product before I make a purchase decision. :)

OK I give in, I give in! You're not impressed and you won't be buying :)

Yes Bill was right about what it does. And when he said he liked it, it's fun - I agree totally. I think he would also probably admit that it covers ground that would need a considerable investment in multiple EHX "building blocks" to reproduce.

Some fair and accurate discussion here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34031/roxsyn-by-yonac-is-live   from early adopters. A few are having an issue around retriggering the  envelope. One guy is uses it with a ukulele in a quite awesome vid!

I can only say that I lost a lot of time playing with presets over the weekend and riffing with it -and in the end didn't really scratch the surface of controls.

Interestingly the best pads are not to be found in the pad presets.... they're in the basses, some of which make lovely pads.

chrish

Thanks for posting that forum link. While $10 is certainly affordable, the time investment with new gear is what matters which is why reading user reviews is always helpful.

But I have to consider the source. So if I know a particular musician can make most any gear sound good, You and Bill for example, I have to judge user experiences based upon my skills and need for more practice time.

Lately I've been really great at shoveling dirt and bucking logs.  :)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34031/roxsyn-by-yonac-is-live

"No wonder it 'tracks' perfectly. It's just a synth harmonizer pedal with a filter and LFOs. Take the octave up to 0 from -1 (as most of the presets are set at) and have all the fun ruined. This really should've been a pedal in Tonestack instead of touted as some leap forward in guitar tracking technology. And it sounds crappy. Refunded!"

"The latency is somewhat acceptable (but not great). Tone stack has a lot less latency. Lowering the buffer helps but also introduces a lot of crackling noises when switching apps"

Quote from: Smash on August 05, 2019, 06:31:50 AM
OK I give in, I give in! You're not impressed and you won't be buying :)

Yes Bill was right about what it does. And when he said he liked it, it's fun - I agree totally. I think he would also probably admit that it covers ground that would need a considerable investment in multiple EHX "building blocks" to reproduce.

Some fair and accurate discussion here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34031/roxsyn-by-yonac-is-live   from early adopters. A few are having an issue around retriggering the  envelope. One guy is uses it with a ukulele in a quite awesome vid!

I can only say that I lost a lot of time playing with presets over the weekend and riffing with it -and in the end didn't really scratch the surface of controls.

Interestingly the best pads are not to be found in the pad presets.... they're in the basses, some of which make lovely pads.

Smash

Do you want me to post all the glowing stuff in response?  ::)

Moving on...what appears to be happening is it's bringing a "form" of synthesis to a much wider audience who are having fun with it. The uke for one but also found a recorder (yes recorder) clip which was fab and a trumpet! Maybe guitar won't end up being the major market - who knows. Maybe it was a mistake to call it a synth - it's more a sonic adventure (would love to hear an infinite jet combined with it - total madness). Yes it's distortion, envelope, filter and FX but someone already said, it's more than the sum of its parts, which I'd agree with.

Haven't had the latency problem  ???

Headless68

whatever the method, it is a lot of fun & nobody would mistake it as anything other than 'synth' 

Just downloaded it & running on a iPad mini 4 on an itrack doc (which runs it fine) - Initial thoughts are its tracking is similar to MG2 but its pallet makes it feel completely different. I see this as a companion to MG2 (for me).

tried a bunch of the pad presets and they all see pretty bad for some reason (i.e. not really that usable as pads :-)  )  - guess a bit of hacking around will sort that easily though

Im going to run this into the loop of my GT1K & see what that is like

tenner well spent

Smash

Some op the bass patches work well as pads with a bit of tweaking

susbemol

Have they said anywhere if they have plans for a PC/Mac plugin version?

admin

The guitar synth arrives on iOS without MIDI

Roxsyn is the app for Apple iOS devices that turns the guitar into a three-voice synth complete with effects thanks to a technology without pitch tracking.
Yonac is a New York software company in business since 2008 and specializes in synthesizers and virtual instruments for iOS. For the first time, it exploits a technology capable of bringing together the world of guitar and electric bass with that of keyboards to pack a polyphonic guitar synth that does not rely on pitch tracking or MIDI to interpret the notes of the instrument.

The guitar synth arrives on iOS without MIDI

The Roxsyn Guitar Synthesizer is a software for iOS capable of reading the signal of a guitar in a polyphonic way and turning it into an analog-style synth respectful of dynamics and playing.
The app borrows the interface from the classic modular synthesizers and revolves around a technology called Metamorphic Synth Engine, three oscillators with five waveforms and a range of over 4 octaves with which to recreate solo, bass and pad sounds of all kinds .
The signals can be freely modeled and colored with modulations and envelope filters, giving life to innovative timbres and behaviors typical of keyboards, such as the possibility of having instruments with infinite sustain.
An arpeggiator is added with eight algorithms to choose from and everything is packaged in over 500 factory presets with the possibility of creating your own.
The Roxsyn also offers a recorder included in the interface and gives the musician the possibility of managing parameters of his choice through external MIDI controllers to integrate his portable device with professional studio and live rigs.

Roxsyn can be downloaded from the App Store at this link , while more information and technical details about the application are on this page on the official website .

https://www.yonac.com/roxsyn/index.php

RoxSyn User Manual
https://www.yonac.com/roxsyn/roxsyn_manual.pdf

GuitarBuilder

I think products like this (I do have it on my iPad, BTW) only serve to continue to confuse guitarists as to what a real synth is and should do.  IMHO it causes a problem for any manufacturer who wants to market a real guitar synth, because the market is getting filled up with poorly performing "synths"

Oh wait!  Was I talking about the current music industry or YouTube? Lots if noise and poor "music"........Perhaps this is just a sign of the times!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 15, 2019, 06:34:34 AM
I think products like this (I do have it on my iPad, BTW) only serve to continue to confuse guitarists as to what a real synth is and should do.  IMHO it causes a problem for any manufacturer who wants to market a real guitar synth, because the market is getting filled up with poorly performing "synths"

Perhaps these types of products should termed "guitar synth effects" ? Its a fuzzy line.

What is a real synth anyway?

Here's a whole slew of guitar synth effect pedals.

https://www.premierguitar.com/topics/1532-synth

Edit to add.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/27332-monster-mutilators-vintage-guitar-synth-pedals

"So, what defines a guitar synthesizer effect? The final word of that question is key. In this article, I'm covering effects that produce synth-like sounds from any electric guitar or bass. Not guitar synthesizers. That's a whole other ballgame, and not one I can profess any great knowledge of. Guitar synth effects, on the other hand, are one of my particular areas of interest. Those of you who know me through Soundgas or, for that matter, last issue's story on vintage spring reverbs ("Lords of the Springs") will already be aware that I'm a sucker for anything exotic when it comes to old gear, and guitar synths are pretty much at the top of the tree. Why? Because to even contemplate building a box that got an unmodified electric guitar to produce sounds like those emitted by a synthesizer, using only '70s technology, required the mind of a genius or a madman—or a combination of both. An early synth's notes were either off or on. Creating an effects unit that would respond to the nuances of a guitarist's playing and track subtle changes in pitch, while still remaining synth-like, required ingenious design."