Started by Vaultnaemsae, July 24, 2019, 10:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaultnaemsae

Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Smash

Let the polyphony argument begin!

chrish

They are saying "we developed a completely new approach to guitar synthesis. Our all original technology synthesizes your guitar directly, without the use of midi notes."

Ha, more like let the ad hype begin.

Quote from: Smash on July 24, 2019, 11:46:23 PM
Let the polyphony argument begin!

Smash

A kind of SY for iOS. I've got 2 Yonac ios apps: Tonestack (great) and their Organ (awesome) so look forward to giving this a go. Hoping it can be inserted on a Tonestack chain.

Vaultnaemsae

Yeah, all ambigous/misleading marketing language aside Yonac makes cool apps so I'm hoping this is a continuation of their great track record.

I've recently gone back to Tonestack on iOS after wrestling with Bias FX for too long. Tonestack's really quite powerful, flexible and sounds great with some tweaking. It's a pity Positive Grid don't take a leaf from the Yonac book and clean up some of the performance issues in their iOS apps.

Snow Black

Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

aliensporebomb

"No soulless GK2...." oh come on!  Really?   There's as much soul as you put into it.  Marketing dweebs.

I'm listening to the demo and it sounds mostly like stacked single notes, I've yet to hear a poly chord that sounds something like I'd like to hear.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Vaultnaemsae

My eyebrows raised a little when I read, "No soulless G2M" ...  ::)

Vaultnaemsae

Smash

Quote from: aliensporebomb on July 28, 2019, 10:22:27 AM
"No soulless GK2...." oh come on!  Really?   There's as much soul as you put into it.  Marketing dweebs.

I'm listening to the demo and it sounds mostly like stacked single notes, I've yet to hear a poly chord that sounds something like I'd like to hear.

It actually says no soulless G2M

I would have to say, even though MG2 doesn't work for me in poly, in mono lead mode it's incredibly expressive and very natural - works very well with normal guitar technique. So, if we're talking mono mode, I'd say it's not too much of a stretch to make that statement.

aliensporebomb

I'll check it out but I maintain the soul comes from the player not the type of pickup used. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on July 28, 2019, 12:59:48 PM
I'll check it out but I maintain the soul comes from the player not the type of pickup used.

or the gear that's used. Smash should know that as he can make most any gear sound good.

Quote from: Smash on July 28, 2019, 11:25:41 AM
It actually says no soulless G2M

I would have to say, even though MG2 doesn't work for me in poly, in mono lead mode it's incredibly expressive and very natural - works very well with normal guitar technique. So, if we're talking mono mode, I'd say it's not too much of a stretch to make that statement.
are you saying that a mono instrument is soulless? Or maybe its that after work  IPA I had. :)

Vaultnaemsae

I saw the Sound Test Room live stream today of Roxsyn running with (amongst other things) drums as an input signal...sounded interesting and up my alley so I jumped in and bought it for $9.99. Roxsyn is somewhat SY-300ish in nature. I've barely scratched the surface and look forward to playing with it more.  I initially had some issues with my interface input not being set hot enough and me thinking the app was broken and losing a tonne of time on it.

Once it got it fired up properly it had zero problems with my rapid legato linear playing -- feels nice, no struggle with perceivable latency. Arpeggiator...cool as! Pads...hmmm, not sure yet... There are over 500 patches of which I think I probably tried around 20 - I didn't attempt to tweak the main synth interface other than some very basic moves. All in all, I'd recommend it for 10 bucks. Support Yonac and we might eventually see an AUv3 version of Tonestack!  ;D

Re: suggested iOS devices...the 2nd generation iPad Pro 12.9" gets a fairly good wrap. Newer devices can have certain issues that make them less than ideal for audio production. And USB-C...I'll leave that one alone for now. I recommend visiting the Audiobus forum for lots of useful info on iOS music.

I've tried tonnes of iOS devices; iPod 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, iPhone 7+, iPad 3, iPad Mini 4 -- none of which I'd recommended but they were passable for very basic applications - like a single synth app or a basic amp sim app. My 'go to' device these days is the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 which has 4GB RAM and a much more powerful A10X Fusion processor. It handles pretty much whatever I throw at it -- within reason. I bought it 2nd hand in tip-top condition for a great price (50% of retail) from a frequent device updater. I'm very happy with it and won't be upgrading it for a long time yet.

Re: Audio interfaces. If you have a class-compliant interface you can almost certainly use that. There are loads of options all with their +/-ves. I use an iConnectAUDIO4+ at home and an iRig HD 2 when I play out. Both also work with my laptop but both have certain issues that may bother some users. 'Best' is largely subjective. It really depends on your needs. I repeat, check out the highly informative Audiobus forum!!!

thebrushwithin

None of the videos I've seen so far, showcase the polyphony, by playing guitar chords.
How well does it handle chords?

mooncaine

Yeah, what about chords?

I'm not going to bother being curious about whether a synth pedal can do chords anymore. They all know good & darn well that it's something players are looking for. If anyone manages it, they'll be sure to publicize it. It'll be in their demo video.

It's not likely a demo guitarist just forgets to play chords. If the thing could handle chords, you'd be hearing and seeing demos with chords.
If it's at all possible without a special pickup, I know I'll hear about it from my friends here. But I won't ask anymore. Obviously they know we'd prefer to be able to play chords.

admin

Pretty sure playing complex chords not supported on Yonac Roxsyn Guitar Synthesizer

some 2 note partials shown here

chrish

Quote from: admin on July 30, 2019, 05:26:33 PM
Pretty sure playing complex chords not supported on Yonac Roxsyn Guitar Synthesizer

some 2 note partials shown here

thought i saw a pick sweeping triad. Also called metamorphic polyphony. ;D

Quote from: Les Paul Special on July 30, 2019, 09:14:31 AM

Doesn't give me the nails on a chalkboard feeling that I get from the SY-300. 

i think some folks are more sensitive to types of analog modelers. I have to turn the the global hi eq down quite a bit in order tolerate the sy-300 as well as hi dampening all the reverbs and delays on all the Roland processors that I've owned except the vg99.

Smash

So...seeing this had just been released I have literally rushed home in lunch hour, downloaded, had literally 5 minutes with it and am now literally back at work. Literally.

I can see why Arpegios are first set of presets - They'rrrrrrre GREAT #tonythetiger

I can't be sure but feel like there's some blend of original signal going on in some patches - only noticed as rubbing my hand on the strings showed 2 things: 1. the input has a "tall" gate 2. Felt like there was a hint of that characteristic DJ scratchy scratch sound with hand rubbing on some sounds. Intriguing.

So to the pads then and that all important polyphony question. I had very little time but tested following

x58515 x71087 x57675 x79897

All notes reproduced - picked one at a time to ensure all ringing there's definite 5 note polyphony.

The caveat is I didn't find one usable pad sound out of the 5 or 6 I tried. Time will tell whats possible getting into actually twiddling the knobs so we'll see.

Tried two lead sounds - tracking fast, agile and expressive, didn't stumble once and I was quite lazy with playing. So very much like MG2 lead mode and it's n this role (mono lead) I honestly think this approach to synth yields better results than hex, and I include FTP in that.

It's an absolute no brainer purchase at a tenner. Looking forward to playing with it - as Vaultnaemsae has said needs a hot input

Bill Ruppert

It seems its subtractive synthesis . Like a Fuzz with filters and pitch shifting. Strip away the effects and go to one voice to see the workings.
I like it. Its fun.
But dont look for OBX pads or Prophet 5 pads here.

Smash

Not touched since that 5 minute patch exploration yesterday and won't have a chance now til weekend but what you're saying Bill confirms what I thought I was hearing then.

Wonder if a combination of this type of approach and EHX wizardry might produce interesting results

On the plus side - no infringement to worry about!  ;D

chrish

^Its been done. Just one example.

https://www.ehx.com/products/holy-stain

Smash

chrish

Quote from: Smash on August 02, 2019, 01:40:25 AM
What am I listening too?
fuzz with filter, pitch shifter,and LFO (tremolo).

My first polyphonic  "guitar synth" was a Ehx big muff pi.

Gurbz

I like it - a lot!
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear