VG99 Mod 1 Harmonist Conundrum help!

Started by Nobulusprime, July 14, 2019, 09:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobulusprime

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this!? I'm baffled by it!
The harmonist (Mod 1&2) doesn't seem to function properly with the normal pick-up input on the rear of the VG99. However it does work when the normal pick up comes through the 13pin input...Even more weirdly (and check this out!), if I send as synth from Mainstage (via USB) triggered by the VG and route it through the COSM A (where the harmonists is) it harmonises the synth fine, but if I play that same synth through a keyboard, making no changes to the VG set up, it doesn't harmonise properly... ??? ???

I'd like to use the harmonise feature whilst playing the synth or playing through the input jack... Is there anyway to fool the VG99 to be able use the input jack and using a keyboard midi keyboard and have properly functioning harmonies?

chrish

Are you using an alternate tuning on channel A?

I ask because the VG will send midi note data to an external synth module according to the notes values set by the alternate tuning on channel A.

Or if Channel A alternate tuning is off it'll send midi  Note data according to what the tuning is on the guitar.

mooncaine

Chris is right that the Alt. Tune feature *can* affect the notes you send out with MIDI... but I think you're talking about the Harmonist effect type, in the Mod 1 effect.

If that's what you're talking about, knowing this might help:

Mod Harmony does not change your MIDI notes. It only affects audio.

Mod Harmony doesn't work well with chords compared to using the Alt. Tuning feature.

The Alt. Tuning's Harmoniser is awesomely good. Always prefer that, if you've got a 13-pin pickup, and you'll be in harmoniser heaven.

chrish

Also, are you performing these tests with both the 13 pin pick up and 1/4 pickup plugged into the VG99 at the same time?

Not sure if you can use both at the same time, but I'd have to check the manual.

I think there is a workaround to that though somewhere in the Forum. Just guessing now as one brain cell just fired.

Nobulusprime

Thanks both,

No I'm not using the alternate tuning function (and yes that is amazing!). I'm using the harmonist in the FX chain as in Mod 1&2.

It's really strange it works perfectly when I have 13pin plugged in using my regular pickups but gets ugly (out of tune) when I use my regular pick up through the guitar input on the back... what's even more weird is when I route a MainStage instrument (via USB) through COSM channel A to make use of the VG's effects, the harmonist works fine when playing midi notes via the guitar, but goes weird again when playing the same plugin on MainStage via a midi keyboard with no changes to the set up.

It's like the VG somehow 'knows' that the midi source is the GK pick up, when the 13pin cable is plugged in and also that the normal pick up is coming through 13pin cable and not the input jack... weird and frustrating.

Any further thoughts appreciated.  :)

Brent Flash

Quote from: chrish on July 14, 2019, 11:04:26 AM
Also, are you performing these tests with both the 13 pin pick up and 1/4 pickup plugged into the VG99 at the same time?

Not sure if you can use both at the same time, but I'd have to check the manual.

I think there is a workaround to that though somewhere in the Forum. Just guessing now as one brain cell just fired.
If you turn the GK CONNECTION (found in GK SETTINGS) from AUTO to ON you can use both the back GUITAR IN and the GK pickup at the same time. At least that is the way I remember how to do it. If you have it on AUTO and plug in the GK cable it will switch off the GUITAR IN on the back.

admin

bosetuno

I experienced something similar in the gp10. I got the impression it uses the tracking info from the hex pickup to do part of the harm process, like setting the window/buffer size. In my case happened if I have the gk guitar conected but unplayed and played through another guitar via guitar in on the gp10. As soon as I removed the gk cable it works fine

Nobulusprime

Thanks, that partially sorted it... on the 'Auto' setting the normal pickup now harmonises fine, but by doing this I can't route MainStage usb through COSM A or B... weird. I'll try the plugging in and unplugging method tomorrow but I'm not sure that will work.

Nobulusprime

So... still no joy on USB routing to COSM A when GK is set to Auto... and when the GK setting is set ON I can't get the harmonist to work correctly when I'm playing keys in via MainStage using a MIDI key board.... though weirdly when I'm playing the exact same synth in MainStage, at the same time, via guitar to MIDI function, it does work properly...

I've tried 'fooling it' by unplugging the GK and just using the input lead on the back in various combinations with no luck.

I've also noticed that when I set the GK setting to Auto using the guitar input on the back, it totally bypasses the COSM section, so there's no attenuation of the guitar input which you usually get when blending COSM and the normal pick up.

The main reason for this post was to use all of the FX functions by routing the USB via the COSM channel. Most of them work with the exception of the harmonist and the pitch shifters.

Shingles

Looks like the harmonist uses the GK he's signal to help tracking, even when only the mag signal is heard. And it can't do this if there is no GK hex signal.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3