VG-99 - Hows it doin' that? (Flanging comb filter)

Started by cynegetic, August 18, 2010, 10:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynegetic

Was just playing around with delays and got this.

I'm just playing d-b strings going up the fretboard on g-a-d (5-7-12), which you can hear. But there are notes that are getting lower at each position instead of higher. Almost sounds like the crystal synth, but it's not.

Anyone tell me where the lower notes are coming from? Is it just harmonics being raised in volume some how?

I'm curios.

aliensporebomb

Oh that's cool!  Very weird!

It's like some kind of resonance happening and I'm not quite sure how but I can't argue with the result - very bell like.

Bill Ruppert might have an idea.

I did find that depending on the way I had some effects set that it added a texture that didn't really make sense as well, one of my patches.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brent Flash

This is done with the WARP DELAY. A 4ms delay fed into WARP DELAY section with FEEDBACK DEPTH AND LEVEL DEPTH up high will create this.

vanceg

Yeah, sounds like an ultra short modulating resonant delay to me.  I'll check out the patch itself. Pretty.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on August 19, 2010, 08:44:51 AM
Oh that's cool!  Very weird!

It's like some kind of resonance happening and I'm not quite sure how but I can't argue with the result - very bell like.

Bill Ruppert might have an idea.

I did find that depending on the way I had some effects set that it added a texture that didn't really make sense as well, one of my patches.

cynegetic

Yes, it is the warp delay doing it. But why? Where are those other notes coming from? What makes those pitches go lower as I play pitches that are higher?

Bill Ruppert

If it is a 4ms delay with feedback up it is acting as a comb filter or a flanger stuck in one spot.
It is emphasizing harmoincs with in the signal.
Changing the delay time by very small amounts will allow you to tune it to other key centers.

You have a VERY cool sound there.
Bill

cynegetic

Interesting. While I don't really know what a comb filter does (will have to wiki it), I'm surprised that a delay could augment a pitch. It's just repeating what it got in the first place after all I thought (meh).

Anyway, I'll have to try adjusting it to see those other key centers as suggested.

Thanks!

Bill Ruppert

Here is a little info:

Flanging comb filter is an delay-based audio effect that occurs when two identical signals are mixed together,usually smaller than 10 ms (milliseconds). This produces a  'comb filter' effect: peaks and notches are produced in the resultant frequency spectrum, related to each other in a linear harmonic series.
The frequency response of a comb filter consists of a series of regularly-spaced spikes, giving the appearance of a comb.

cynegetic

Thank you for taking some time to explain, Bill.  ;D