Connecting rc300, Gt-100 and sr-18 drum machine

Started by Godfather_77, June 04, 2019, 01:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godfather_77

I would like to connect my Gt-100, sr-18 drum machine to my rc-300 looper. I do not want the drum machine affected by gt-100 patches but I would like to use the drum beat from the sr-18 and record them in my looper. Is this possible?

YankyDWad

I hope I understand your question correctly. You want to record the SR18 on to a track of your RC-300. You can do that. That ¡s simple enough. You plug it in and record. BUT it's about syncing. If you want your SR18 drum loops to be tight with the RC300, you'll want to:

- set the RC-300 to Auto Record. This means it starts recording when it hears the first sound from your drum machine.
- make sure the tempo is the same on both machines. You can set that manually on both, or you can call in the big guns and sync them up with a midi cable. more on that below.

At this point it all starts out nicely. You press play on the drum machine and RC300 starts recording in sync. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE END OF THE LOOP? You can stop it with your foot and it'll try to quantize the loop length.

- probably best to check how many measures are in your drum machine loop, then set the RC-300 to record that many measures. That way, they will stay in sync, and start AND end at the right time.

Okay, so it starts and stops nice. but it seems to get louder as it loops. Yes, it would. Because you didnt stop the SR18 from playing. Remember to press stop on the SR18. And right on the beat would be best. you'll notice when it records on top of itself. It will erk you.

But now you have a drum track recorded on the RC-300. Was it worth it? Maybe, maybe so.

But then there is midi. With a midi cable you can connect both, and get the SR-18 to listen to the RC-300 for it's tempo. So it'll sort the tempo out itself. That's good. But it will also take care of start and stop. So when you first start your loop, with the RC-300, the SR18 will start playing at the right tempo. And when you all stop your track it will stop. SO? Well, what that means is you don't need to record the drum track to the RC-300. You have a slaved drum machine that will follow you, and you gain the use of the RC300 track that you no longer need. I don't have a straight midi cable from one to the other myself. I go through the computer and use Midi OX to receive from RC and send to SR. It's just a cable thing. I have two MIDI2USB cables. Them's the breaks. 

Here's a trick: Dial up a blank track on your SR18. Sync the tempo with midi, or manually. Actually, just do the midi thing or it'll get difficult. So you are synched through midi. Your drum track is blank. And you start recording the loop. On the SR-18, calmly press RECORD and then PLAY. It is now recording, it is blank, and it is in synch. NOW you can layer up your Sr-18 beat, one beat at a time, by pounding the little buttons like a drum machine person does. It'll oop with the RC300 and you can build up instrument and drums into some wild crescendo. Admittedly, if you are playing live you would look quite busy, and you only have 2 hands, but at home just playing with yourself, pun unavoidable, you can go on this beats and instruments trip for ages, erasing drums and adding them, changeing drum kits on the fly, all the while building and dismantling loops with your guitar for one long varied and only slightly out of control loop frenzy.

I have the RC300, GT1, SY300, GP10, GR-55, the SR18 and an Ebow. It just goes on forever.

Godfather_77

Camilo69

Hey Brother!
I am having trouble connecting my RC-300 Loop station to my new machine Alesis SR18
Would you like to help me please with step by step? I can Vinmo you for $ compensation.
Thank you very much in advance.
C