is it me or does it seem resale on helix/fractal stuff isnt that great anymore??

Started by hsuru4u, May 01, 2019, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsuru4u

I watch alot of foum adds and seems the helix stomp is hard to get rid of at close to prices people bought it for- the helix lt seems better then the full helix board. The fractals maybe do the best but now with the fm3 coming I think the "older" fractal stuff will suffer. I mean why would i buy a used ax8 for more then a new fm3? I can see axefx xl 3(latest?) still getting better prices then the ax8 as it does way more but you still need a controller so it hets you over the fm3 pricing. I mean who doesnt want the newest in fractal gear?

admin

Quote from: hsuru4u on May 01, 2019, 10:37:25 AM
I watch alot of foum adds and seems the helix stomp is hard to get rid of at close to prices people bought it for- the helix lt seems better then the full helix board. The fractals maybe do the best but now with the fm3 coming I think the "older" fractal stuff will suffer. I mean why would i buy a used ax8 for more then a new fm3? I can see axefx xl 3(latest?) still getting better prices then the ax8 as it does way more but you still need a controller so it hets you over the fm3 pricing. I mean who doesnt want the newest in fractal gear?

For me its all about best tool for the task

After watching the FM3 editing video - I lost interest fast  -and keeping my Ampero and Headrush for live gigs
(Why?) - because on either  Ampero or Headrush (with  High res Color Capacitive Touch Screens) I can tweak anything I need to make a fast adjustment mid song under 10 seconds and both sound great to both mine & bandmates ears

And frankly  - Had I been on a 3 month waiting list for a new Fractal AX8, - only to be told:
"Sorry, no more AX8's are available, accept this new three footswitch FM3 instead"   
Id be a bit upset as I dont find them at all comparable for live use.

Martin Turner

I've always been advised that when I buy a piece of gear, it loses 1/3 of its value the moment I take it out of the shop. If I want to sell it back to a shop (instead of trade it) I need to expect to lose half its value.

This is even more the case with technological gear, which tends to get written off in three years anyway for accounting purposes.

Back when I used to buy a lot of stuff, I could get better discounts new from my local music store (PMT, Birmingham, England) than the eBay prices. People always expect to get a return based on what they paid.
Godin LGX - VG-99

admin

i know how to repair my broken gear ( I ran a qualified Roland/Boss/ Moog / Arp / Yamaha / Fender  /Peavey Warranty Service Center for several years

Myself when buying gear  -I always look for a gently used example first - often I buy the Sweetwater video demonstrator at the Sweetwater ebay store for 20% off.

Although if you know how to work a deal on the telephone - you can often negotiate that type discount (or greater) on brand new gear from a dealer you have a long term relationship with 

1 week "almost new" DSP Guitar gear looses value at same percentage as a 1 week "almost new" car

The point being I rarely pay the MSRP for new gear , as often 1 month old gear pops up on Ebay at a steep discount

Thats how I acquired all the following "gently used"

Big Headrush  - $720

Katana 100 combo -  $225

EHX9500 I purchased the Sweetwater demo

plexified

I have pointed searches on Craigslist I look at virtually every day (entire USA), and Helix, Fractal and Kemper retain virtual purchase price in regards to listings, and move very quickly without fail. The only dip was when the AXEFX III showed up XLII+ dipped slightly as users upgraded, you never see foot controllers. Helix has the rack and controller selling at cost of the floor and a Kemper can be had with an occasional expression pedal, rack case and that's it. They all move very fast with little wiggle room. So nothing is going to change, these companies all added value and longevity into the product and with time , comes improvements. So your actually better waiting for 15% of at Musicians Friend (no tax,free shipping) or close to your deal of choice NEW. Try out period, no wear and tear, financing etc. I also find the Tube problem is only going to enforce this over time, the only variable I see is the guitarist dying off. Just my opinion and observations.

carlb

Quote from: admin on May 01, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
<...> After watching the FM3 editing video - I lost interest fast  -and keeping my Ampero and Headrush for live gigs
(Why?) - because on either  Ampero or Headrush (with  High res Color Capacitive Touch Screens) I can tweak anything I need to make a fast adjustment mid song under 10 seconds and both sound great to my mine & bandmates ears
<...>

They sure didn't do themselves any favors with that video. Was he building the effects chain from scratch? And the guy playing guitar could've made any gear sound average ...

I'm used to editing with the GP-10's push-buttons and rotary encoder. So, I not likely one to mind editing the FM3 ...

But like you, I may find myself just staying with the Ampero and the GP-10.

Now if the Ampero would get a nylon string model going, I could leave the GP-10 at home ... Well unless I need alt tunings. But for most gigs, usually not.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

Quoteat Musicians Friend (no tax . . . )

FWIW - As of April 1, 2019 - those days are over  - most online M.I. dealers now charge state sales tax (AMS, Sweetwater, Zzounds, Proaudiostar, Musicians Friend, Music 123,   

Exception is B&H 

Of course  states with no state sales tax are : Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

hsuru4u

Quote from: admin on May 01, 2019, 05:05:06 PM
FWIW - As of April 1, 2019 - those days are over  - most online M.I. dealers now charge state sales tax (AMS, Sweetwater, Zzounds, Proaudiostar, Musicians Friend, Music 123,   

Exception is B&H 

Of course  states with no state sales tax are : Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

Didnt know that. best bet is buy at GC so you can return locally free within 45 days.

I know gear depreciates from the get go and they are tools but i think to me the ampero/headrush and gt1000 seem to give the best bang for the buck. If you can get a used HR OR GT1000 at a great deal its a no brainer- or if you can get 20% new its not bad. The HR worries me with the updates and such but the looper is great. the gt1000 is getting alot of updates which is nice and you can get it pretty cheap lately as well. Still not sold on any of them yet.
The fractal fm3 seems ok but still too much$$ for me(no discount) and only 3 switches and the screen is nicer then the ax8 but looks like a pain to get around in.Touch screens are the future in my mind.

hsuru4u

Quote from: admin on May 01, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
For me its all about best tool for the task

After watching the FM3 editing video - I lost interest fast  -and keeping my Ampero and Headrush for live gigs
(Why?) - because on either  Ampero or Headrush (with  High res Color Capacitive Touch Screens) I can tweak anything I need to make a fast adjustment mid song under 10 seconds and both sound great to both mine & bandmates ears

And frankly  - Had I been on a 3 month waiting list for a new Fractal AX8, - only to be told:
"Sorry, no more AX8's are available, accept this new three footswitch FM3 instead"   
Id be a bit upset as I dont find them at all comparable for live use.

OMG i just watched that vid- what a joke to get around in. WOW just wow- 2019 and this is the best they can come up with? really?

gumbo

Quote from: admin on May 01, 2019, 05:05:06 PM

Exception is B&H 

...and since July 2018, the Oz government clamped down on the adding of Goods & Services Tax (GST) to all imported items INCLUDING THOSE WITH A VALUE UNDER $1000 AU....so overnight we had to fork out another 10% on such stuff..eBay(etc) actually collecting the tax on behalf of the Government on the smaller items by automatically debiting one's Paypal account.

Some (business) suppliers got worried and for a while reduced their prices by 10% when shipping to Oz in an effort to not lose out on sales...most of that 'shock reaction' has now faded...along with the discounts.... ::)

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

HecticArt

I still want this stuff.

I don't care about the resale value.
Everything depreciates.
Buy equipment that you want to play because you like it.

All kinds of stuff depreciates - cars, guitars, jewelry, computers, tube amps......all kinds of stuff.

gumtown

Quote from: gumbo on May 01, 2019, 05:45:41 PM
...and since July 2018, the Oz government clamped down on the adding of Goods & Services Tax (GST) to all imported items INCLUDING THOSE WITH A VALUE UNDER $1000 AU....so overnight we had to fork out another 10% on such stuff..eBay(etc) actually collecting the tax on behalf of the Government on the smaller items by automatically debiting one's Paypal account.

Some (business) suppliers got worried and for a while reduced their prices by 10% when shipping to Oz in an effort to not lose out on sales...most of that 'shock reaction' has now faded...along with the discounts.... ::)

Peter

Your GST is only 10% ?
15% here  :(
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on May 01, 2019, 06:25:28 PM
Your GST is only 10% ?
15% here  :(

..yes, I know...  sorry about that... ;)

...does yours apply to everything, like every time it gets sold second-hand ?   :-\
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Smash

Re: video - all that work for a below par basic tone!

Whilst I'm selling the HD500X one thing I think was a step in the right direction was dedicated amp knobs. Don't really understand why you couldn't have 5 rotary FX encoders and dedicated amp knobs

hsuru4u

Quote from: HecticArt on May 01, 2019, 06:05:25 PM
I still want this stuff.

I don't care about the resale value.
Everything depreciates.
Buy equipment that you want to play because you like it.

All kinds of stuff depreciates - cars, guitars, jewelry, computers, tube amps......all kinds of stuff.

I didnt mean to say its important in deciding what to buy with gear(cars maybe) but you are right it all depreciates.
I try to buy something at the best deal(usually not when 1st comes out) so i could care less about resale. I think that the new norm is $999.99 in modeling world. These companies raised the pricing and of course got it because the fan structure is so plentiful. Helix releases a mini stomp helix for $600 or so and the fans jump on that too. So their pricing is a winner for them but i would never buy a helix anything at near retail pricing and that goes for the gt1000/headrush ect. Thats just me.

The fractal fm3 to me isnt complete by itself and i think to many its ok and some cant afford the axe3 so this is the obvious step for them. Some have the axe3 and want the fm3 cause they want everything fractal. Thats cool i guess.Ampero pricepoint to me is the best on paper.havent tried yet. Gt1000 is on radar. headrush will wait to see what next year brings and helix same.