HX Effects battery power?

Started by TG, April 12, 2019, 07:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TG

Hi Guys,

Successfully been powering my pedals from a poweradd battery (as recommended by Elantric, THANKS!)
(Also - i'm using a red tipped, polarity inverter from the poweradd DC out)

Just got one of the HX effects, and it says "9v DC centre negative, 3A min"

Am I ok to plug the poweradd in? (From the DC out, set to 9V obviously)

I really don't want to fry my new toy and wondered if anyone has done so?

BTW - I've got a line6 adapter, so "sizewise" it fits, think the adapter is just a 2.1 - 2.5 barrel converter.

admin

If using a PowerAdd Pilot Pro, Must invert the voltage polarity

Full thread here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10662.0

Learn to use a Voltmeter

TG

Thanks for the reply!

Just tested it, and for anyone else who is as stupid or confused as me when it come to this kinda stuff... here was the process:

- testing just the cable from poweradd - centre positive.

- added my "polarity inverter" adapter, (that i've been using to power boss pedals etc), and as expected, centre negative, and therefore happy with most pedals and has been working a charm...

The confusing thing here is actually this "polarity inverter" adapter i use, is advertised as "centre positive", seemingly what this actually does is reverse the +ve polarity of what you are feeding to it...

Very glad i did test, as the i thought i could just add the (diago) line6 converter (2.1mm to 2.5mm) to that previous polarity inverter adapter
however, this reversed it again.

This is because the adapter i'm using advertised as "2.1mm to 2.5mm, centre positive", but again, like the other adapter this actually seems to reverse the signal from +ve to what i want...

So, with just the diago line6 adapter attached to the poweradd cable and it's come up centre negative, and with just the one adapter, the HX effects boots up!

Thanks again for the response, i know very little about electronics, what i learnt is:
The centre positive coming from the poweradd, when you add a centre positive adapter, inverts, becoming centre negative.
(add another centre positive adapter and you are back to where you started! {+ve})
i hope that this might help someone else who is as green as me with this stuff...

I had these adapters lying around, but i assume that something like this would also work to power helix off a centre positive battery:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PPL6-R-2-5mm-Reverse-Polarity-Barrel/dp/B00WBR35HA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=voodoo+lab+centre+negative+2.5mm&qid=1555081193&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-1-fkmr2
or the diago one mentioned above...

admin

The BIG issue  is

#1 ) Determine the Voltage and Polarity and plug type of your actual FX unit you intend to power , and its mA current demand

#2)  ALWAYS measure the the Voltage and Polarity from the actual physical power plug you intend to connect to the unit in step #1, and verify the power supply can deliver the mA current required.