Why have I just bought an HD500X...

Started by Smash, February 07, 2019, 10:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Weird one. I was gonna get another Helix but....I am using VAX acoustic quite heavily and Helix support is minimal.

But the HD500 has full support - Mic position, compressor and model.so patch setup is easy without having to use work bench.

And it's cheap! 185 including full flight case.

No it's not state of the art but looking forward to applying some tricks learned from VG99 to the HD500 editor

admin

Agreed!

I consider the Variax support and DT25/DT50  AMP support superior on HD500X vs Helix

( they hint this may change with pending Helix FW 2.8 update )
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-2-8.2004443/page-32#post-27935363
QuoteFWIU, presets made in 2.80 won't be compatible with 2.70 and earlier, but since there are new models that wouldn't be compatible with 2.70 anyway, it's not a huge deal. At the very worst, back up everything with 2.70 and if you hate 2.80 for whatever reason, revert to 2.70 and restore your stuff.

More incite on creative HD500X use here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6035.0

https://allabouthd500x.altervista.org/allabouthd500x/viewforum.php?f=5

And comparison of most Line-6 Products is here:
https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/comparing-line-6s-multi-effects-pedals/

Smash

Bit miffed to see 2.8 announced for Helix but tgen I just thought the choice is becoming overwhelming. It's like the Spotify of modelling!

admin

One thing we know - no more firmware updates for 8 year old HD500x

Smash

What??!!!!  ;D :D

Messed with a bit.  Getting a nice acoustic sound - tube comp is very flattering.

Full control of VAX acoustic is a real bonus. You can get it just so. Just need to put the time in now...

Smash

Ok so had some more time with it.

You can hear the DNA for Helix very clearly in the amps.

The one thing that I'm finding a major hindrance are the EQ modules. All rubbish! Half of them don't have frequency display, just percentage. No true graphic EQ.

I know it won't get an update even though it's still a current line up item but it needs it - just for EQ functionality

Elantric

I'm still surprised the HD500X remains in production  - its older than the GR-55

be sure you have the HD500X FW 2.62 (April, 9, 2015)
https://line6.com/software/index.html
--
POD HD500X Flash Memory v2.62 RELEASE NOTES
POD HD500X v2.62 is a FREE firmware update that includes additional features and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all POD HD500X users perform this update!   It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using POD HD500X Edit to create a preset bundle, allowing you to include installing new presets as part of the update process.   The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Monkey. Once you've connected your POD HD500X to your computer via USB port (hubs are not supported), Monkey will recognize the unit and take you through the update process. It's important to update both the USB Firmware (1.04) and Flash Memory (2.62).   The Line 6 Monkey application may be downloaded here.
What's New?
Global EQ — Global EQ is used for compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio, and is applied to all setlists and presets. Global EQ features three fully parametric bands plus variable low and high cut filters. The 2.62 release addresses a previous issue in which the Global EQ did not function after tuner mode was accessed.

To access Global EQ:
Press and hold the VIEW button to open the Setup Menu.
Using the four-way, cursor right until you see the Global EQ screen.
Turn Knob 1 to select the desired EQ band (Low Cut, Low, Mid, High, High Cut) and turn Knobs 2, 3, and/or 4 to adjust the selected band.
To bypass or enable Global EQ, press ENTER.
NOTE—Due to L6 LINK's flexible routing, Global EQ is not available at this output.

Support for optional Model Packs—Firmware 2.62 supports three new Amp/Cab Model Packs:

Metal Pack—includes models based on* modern heavy gain amps like the Peavey® 5150® and a remastered JCM800
Vintage Pack—includes models based on* classics like the Vox® AC30 Fawn and the Orange® OR80
Bass Pack—includes models based on* an Ampeg® SVT and a GK Gallien-Kruger 800RB

Model Packs can be purchased here.

Variax Presets—Firmware 2.62 adds an additional "VARIAX" setlist of 64 presets, optimized for use with Line 6 Variax guitars. Selecting a preset from this setlist may recall a particular guitar model and tuning in a connected Variax.

Known Issues
Set List Names—If during the update process new presets are optionally loaded to overwrite the previous set, Set List names may not correlate to the new presets appropriately. This is because renaming Set Lists is not a part of the firmware update process. Set List names may be changed in the hardware using a variety of methods:
System Reset—Pressing (and holding down) the four-way navigation pad to the left while powering up will perform a Global Settings reset. This action will reset all settings to their factory default and requires a recalibration of the on-board expression pedal. Instructions for pedal calibration can be found here. Due to the pedal recalibration, it is generally recommended to update the Set List names using the manual method described below.
Manual—Set Lists may be renamed manually by simply highlighting a Set List name and pressing the SAVE button. Use the four encoders beneath the main display and press SAVE to complete.

The presets in firmware v2.62 correlate to the following Set List names, as seen in the main display from left to right, top to bottom:

BEST OF HD
FX HEAVY
SONGS / STYLE
BASS/ACO/VOC
L6LINK DT
VARIAX
USER 1
USER 2

FAQ For more information about POD HD500X, the POD HD FAQ can be found here.

Advanced User's Guide The latest version of the Advanced User's Guide for the POD HD500X can be found here.

* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6. The product names and images are provided for the sole purpose of identifying the specific products that were studied during Line 6's sound model development.
Compatible OS: Windows XP, Mac OS X, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10

Smash

Keep forgetting about the global stuff because it's not accessible within HX edit.

Yes, L6 Monkey confirmed latest firmware.

Actually think it's quite a musical unit, just wish it had one decent EQ module.

Hardware amp knobs are surprisingly useful

admin

Quote from: Smash on February 11, 2019, 11:14:22 AM
Keep forgetting about the global stuff because it's not accessible within HX edit.

Yes, L6 Monkey confirmed latest firmware.

Actually think it's quite a musical unit, just wish it had one decent EQ module.

Hardware amp knobs are surprisingly useful

Im not a fan of the Line-6 Amp Models in the HD500X  series - or Firehawk   - most are on / off and lack ability to clean up when I roll my Guitar volume down , and require noise gates ( which I detest!)
- I actually prefer the Vetta

or a Boss GT-1000 blows away all my Line-6 gear - including Helix

vtgearhead

Quote from: Smash on February 11, 2019, 10:12:20 AM
Ok so had some more time with it.

You can hear the DNA for Helix very clearly in the amps.

The one thing that I'm finding a major hindrance are the EQ modules. All rubbish! Half of them don't have frequency display, just percentage. No true graphic EQ.

I know it won't get an update even though it's still a current line up item but it needs it - just for EQ functionality

The EQ percentage labeling is just brain-damaged, IMHO.  But, in all fairness I think the team who designed that unit have long since moved on to other pastures. 

I also found the amplifier / speaker modeling to be just short of unusable, which is why my HD500 has been serving as a doorstop.  My HD500 experience was so bad that I never even considered looking at a Helix until last year.  Night and day difference.

vtgearhead

Quote from: admin on February 11, 2019, 11:31:55 AM
Im not a fan of the Line-6 Amp Models in the HD500X  series - or Firehawk   - most are on / off and lack ability to clean up when I roll my Guitar volume down , and require noise gates ( which I detest!)

This.  Exactly. 

Smash

Yep I'd agree with all the above but I'm using it first and foremost as front end for VAX acoustic with occasional bit if grit from the Baseman. The control of VAX and remote it gives make it worth 185 to me but no, I wouldn't buy as an electric solution.