Gurbz Katana IOS midi controller deluxe (midi designer pro 2 layout)

Started by Gurbz, November 20, 2018, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurbz

The goal is to create a deluxe version geared towards presets, this time created with midi designer pro 2.

Midi designer pro 2 has the preset option which means that this template will be using the katana as soundmodule. The touchosc version (other thread) is more geared towards practical use and saving presets with katana hardware knobs/buttons.

The midi designer pro 2 version has the option for saving its own presets and sending that midi data to the katana through the primova midx-20. I'm investigating if this will work.

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Here's a link to the midi designer pro 2 question and answer forum. Like vguitar the community is very supportive. :)

https://mididesigner.com/qa/6991/best-send-data-with-template-counting-controls-using-presets

Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Serious work on presets this time. Very close but a few inconsistencies to iron out.

Grtz,

Gurbz

sixeight

Quote from: Gurbz on November 25, 2018, 02:38:18 AM
Serious work on presets this time. Very close but a few inconsistencies to iron out.

Great work, Gerben. About the inconsistencies. Can it be that if the settings of the reverb are the same on two presets, that no reverb messages are sent?

Also it is imteresting to check with guitar sound during preset change to see if the patch changes sound good or give artifacts. And you should get reverb/delay spillover when the effects chain and reverb or delay type does not change.

Gurbz

Sometimes the amp seems to freeze (no sound) when selecting patches but when selecting a hardware patch all is normal again. As a workaround I could send a program change, say panel mode.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

So I've read quite some threads now about the midi bridge, sysex, etc.
A few users have managed to add external presets with small computers etc.

This setup works with the midx-20 and midi designer pro 2, which stores its presets on the iPad.
The software is, as far as I can tell, one-way-ticket sending midi data to the Katana.
These presets, combined CC values, work but after a few presets the master volumes risies or drops, delay's sometimes don/t change, etc. So I'm looking for some kind of reset with each send out preset to build a reliable preset list.

Can this be done with this setup? Is only sending midi data, or complete system snapshots, enough for this to work with this setup?
Grtz,

Gurbz

vtgearhead

It's possible that delays are needed between messages.under some circumstances.

Gurbz

Today was a good day!

Visited sixeight in his hometown and worked at storing patches for the midi designer controller. Learned a bit more about sysex and reading katana patches.

On top of it codesmart chimed in and we discussed possibilities to read katana data with the midi designer software through the midx-20.

Thanks so much guys!
This really is a supportive community.

Cheers,

Gurbz ;)
Grtz,

Gurbz

sixeight

Quote from: Gurbz on November 30, 2018, 09:17:36 AM
Today was a good day!

Visited sixeight in his hometown and worked at storing patches for the midi designer controller. Learned a bit more about sysex and reading katana patches.

On top of it codesmart chimed in and we discussed possibilities to read katana data with the midi designer software through the midx-20.

Thanks so much guys!
This really is a supportive community.

Cheers,

Gurbz ;)

It was great having you. I always enjoy talking about this stuff. Your midi designer template is looking great. Do drop by if you need some more help.

admin

Quote from: sixeight on November 30, 2018, 09:51:30 AM
It was great having you. I always enjoy talking about this stuff. Your midi designer template is looking great. Do drop by if you need some more help.

man wish I could have been there   = exciting times!

Gurbz

Witnessed also the V-controller handmade by sixeight; it is awesome!
Grtz,

Gurbz

sixeight

Quote from: admin on November 30, 2018, 10:34:03 AM
man wish I could have been there   = exciting times!

To meet in person is not that easy, though you would be most welcome to visit the Netherlands. Maybe we should have a Skype/Facetime chat some day.

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

First version of the layout is online and also here on V-Guitar forums downloadable.
Different versions will be created in time for other USB-midi hosts.

https://mididesigner.com/qa/7079/layout-boss-katana-primova-midx-20-preset-version
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

The primova version is up. This one is geared towards presets. The primova however is designed towards practical use of midi control change. An update or slimmed down version will be created like: press one button on your foot controller and boost, solo and reverb will be activated.

If you have any smart wishes please reply to this subject.

Besides all that I 've got the bi-directional thing going without the primova. So a windows tablet or intel stick can be used as a midibridge and the layout responds to midi in so knobs are being turned on the screen when turning the knobs on the katana. It reads the katana's messages and stored presets are visual.

These are sysex version of the controller layout and I'm testing within a few weeks how these respond to shifting large amounts of midi data as this data will be send through bluetooth midi.
Grtz,

Gurbz

admin

QuoteBesides all that I 've got the bi-directional (Windows)  thing going without the primova. So a windows tablet or intel stick can be used as a midibridge and the layout responds to midi in so knobs are being turned on the screen when turning the knobs on the katana. It reads the katana's messages and stored presets are visual.

IS this a standalone app? - or is a new version of MIDI Designer which runs on Windows?

vtgearhead

At the risk of appearing naive, how does one import your template?  If downloaded from the web browser will Midi Designer find it automatically?  Quick Google search failed to turn up a description of the process.

admin

Under the MIDI DESIGNER OPTIONS menu, allows import of a template. (a.k.a Layout)

Its similar to steps used to assign MIDI designer to use the built in Antares ATG editor
http://mididesigner.com/pdfs/midi_designer_reference_manual_version_1.0.pdf
Opening Layouts in MD
There are two ways to open layouts in MD:
1. Open In... — From Mail, Safari, Dropbox and many other apps, a long press on a .mididesigner file
will allow you to choose MIDI Designer Pro to open your layout.
2. Config → Actions → Load Layout
❍ Layouts you make available to MD via iTunes File Sharing can be found here
❍ Layouts you have saved (using Save Layout) are also available here
Append Layout
Last update: 2015/04/13 17:36 wiki:ebook http://mididesigner.com/wiki/doku.php/wiki:ebook
http://mididesigner.com/wiki/ Printed on 2015/11/01 23:04
With either method of opening layouts, you will be given the option to append the current layout. This
will combine the currently-loaded layout with the layout that you are loading.

https://mididesigner.com/wiki/doku.php/manual:10_intro

review countless MD "Layouts" for other gear
https://mididesigner.com/community/

Gurbz

Yes. They used to have a free midi designer pro 2 version for review layouts (no edit function) in the App Store (I think, not sure) but I don't see it anymore.
get the MD app (its pretty cool!) and load in the layout like admin pointed out. Do not append with current layout, except you know what you're doing. Hook up your primova and Roland um one MKII (or similar) and try it out.

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

It is IOS, the MD app.

About midi-USB host and data stream.

What I meant is that I'm working on a sysex version that wil work with windows 10,(RTP Midi), a raspberry pi, beagle bone ot linux instead of the midx-20.
This is partly because of my curiosity concerning how bigger presets (midi data) will stream to the Katana (USB).
I had to slow down the midi traffic in this layout because of the midx-20 buffer size.

The sysex is a lot more work but interesting enough because the bi-directional thing is easier to accomplish and the knobs became realtime active, like I wrote.

If more people are starting to see the power of MDP2 we could move forward much faster.
Please let me know what you think if you try this out.
Grtz,

Gurbz

admin

Quote from: Gurbz on December 07, 2018, 06:06:16 AM
Yes. They used to have a free midi designer pro 2 version for review layouts (no edit function) in the App Store (I think, not sure) but I don't see it anymore.
get the MD app (its pretty cool!) and load in the layout like admin pointed out. Do not append with current layout, except you know what you're doing. Hook up your primova and Roland um one MKII (or similar) and try it out.

Afaik MIDI DESIGNER IOS has been around since 2012 and started out at $10 on the iTunes store

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7156.0

But its now  $25 ( more features) which I find appropriate.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-pro/id492291712?mt=8

Ive spent more on MIDI Cables

vtgearhead

Quote from: admin on December 07, 2018, 04:42:41 AM
Under the MIDI DESIGNER OPTIONS menu, allows import of a template. (a.k.a Layout)

(snip..)

Thanks very much!  That is the information I needed.  I bought MD Pro last evening and didn't see any guidance on imports. I don't spend a lot of time in the ios environment as you can probably infer.

vtgearhead

Quote from: Gurbz on December 07, 2018, 06:13:23 AM
The sysex is a lot more work...

Possibly the understatement of the year :-).  As the person who first sniffed the conversation between Katana and BTS and transcribed the results, I have the scars to prove it. 

Interesting to know that MD Pro is able to produce and respond to sysex!

Gurbz

:D

Of course the amplifier knobs are the only knobs available BUT it reads also stored presets of stored FX.

The tric is simple: click BTS on and it sends the data. The vid is made with a primova midx-20 with midi bridge OFF. Yesterday I had it running wireless with rtp midi on a win10 tablet
Grtz,

Gurbz