HX STOMP - User Reviews

Started by admin, October 09, 2018, 09:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.morningstarfx.com/single-post/2018/10/21/Line-6-HX-Stomp-In-Depth-Review

Creating our first HX Stomp preset

Distortion

This category is in our opinion, the least convincing amongst the HX Stomp's effects. The hairiness of the ODs and fuzzes sound rather tight, and are not able to breathe as organically as analog or even some other overdrive/distortion emulations do. They do not break up and decay as naturally and as pleasingly to our ears. While they are useable (most audiences will not be able to tell the difference) and clean up pretty well with the guitar's volume knob, they still sound relatively sterile and do not offer the same dynamism and connection to the player as some of our favourite pedals do. So for us, we would definitely use the HX Stomp in conjunction with other overdrive and distortion pedals if constraints allow. We tried the HX Stomp together with a variety of drive pedals including the J. Rockett Archer, Walrus Audio Red and fuzz mode on the Dr. Scientist BitQuest. We are pleased to report that it takes external pedals very well. Adding an analog drive to the chain takes the HX Stomp to the next level.

Dynamics

Compressors and noise gates are what you will find most in this category. During our testing, the compressors were a pleasure to use. The Deluxe Comp was our favourite of the lot and gave our tone that sweet boost and extra presence. Settings can be adjusted to give your tone just a gentle squeeze or an outright squashed sound. The compressors also helped to even out volume across different frequencies and allowed more sensitive, dynamic playing.

EQ

This section exceeded our expectations. Aside from the usual low, mid and high EQ options, there is also a Parametric and a 10-Band EQ block, allowing you to fine tune and precisely shape your tone to taste. Very impressive and definitely a very useful tool to have.

Modulation

This category consists of Tremolo, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger and Ring Mod blocks. A wide palette of Tremolo flavours are available including optical, harmonic and beat chop. Phaser and Flanger blocks also will not disappoint. They sound smooth and can be adjusted to be subtle or more in-your-face.

Delay

This category is perhaps the most used by many guitarists out there. And we are happy to say that the HX Stomp delivers in buckets. From analog to digital, or simple to complex delays, there are plenty of options available. And they are easy to use too. Each block you select will offer you the same basic adjustable parameters such as Time Division (1/(1 to 64) with straight, dotted or triplet options). Feedback, Mix and other parameters are easily adjustable, with the knobs clearly showing each knob's function above on the LCD screen as you page up/down.

Apart from the classic Analog (modulatable chorus), Bucket Brigade, Digital and Tape types, there are also Ducked, Reverse and Swell types available to lend a unique edge to your delay tones. They all sounded pleasing to our ears, and different enough to justify each block's existence.

Reverb

Now what would the Helix line be without luscious, lingering, ethereal reverb. In this aspect, the HX stomp is great. The usual Room, Hall, Spring, Plate and Particle Verb are all present. And on top of that we have even more unique reverbs. Our top 2 picks of the lot are the Ganymede and Double Tank algorithms. The first offers a nice supporting pad-like texture and the second gives a deeper and richer tank reverb (sounds like it was passed through 2 reverb tanks). Absolutely beautiful. We are big fans of the Strymon BigSky Cloud reverb that in our opinion still can't be beat. However, we are confident that with some tweaking on the HX Stomp, you won't be missing your BigSky too much.

Pitch/Synth

Now this category is great for experimentalist musicians who love creating evolving textures of varying pitch. But we can also see how it can be used musically when applied in small doses to make your songs stand out more. In our testing, the pitch shifter and synth generators all tracked well with the guitar playing with no perceptible latency. Our tip for this category is that you should dive deeper into the Legacy section where you will find more usable effects such as Octaver and Growler.

Filter/Wah

We are combining these 2 categories together in our review as they are very similar. The main difference is that the Wah blocks are set up to be used with an expression pedal. The filters sound great, and we were pretty convinced by the Fassel emulation too. These effects made us want to open our mouths when playing, and that's always a good indicator of how good a wah/filter effect is.

Amp+Cab/Amp/Cab/Preamp

We now come to the HX Stomp's star category. This category is what makes the HX Stomp so much more powerful and in our opinion a more worthy investment than the HX Effects. Having a full array of amp and cab modellers together with effects in one box makes this a complete solution that you can take and play at any venue in the world. If you don't have access to good guitar amps at a venue, you can definitely go line-in to the PA and still be assured of high quality amp tones. Let's dive in.

Amp blocks are cleverly named, alluding to the originals that they emulate. Deluxe, Tweed, Matchstick, A30, Zed... you get the idea. In out testing, we are pleased to say that the amps were all very dynamic, responding to our variations in touch like a real tube amp would. While they may not replicate the same exact warmth of a real tube amp, they do very accurately recreate the characteristics of each amp they represent. We are confident that anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test with the tube amp mic-ed up and effects applied (let alone a non-musician audience). All we have to say for this section is, play around and have fun. You won't be disappointed.

Looper

This is a simple one-switch looper that allows you to record, overdub, undo and stop. It is not the most intuitive and we initially had a hard time figuring out how to use it. We recommend that you refer to the user manual for this. It is not a fancy or powerful looper by any means, but it does fine for laying down ideas or for single track looping performances.

BUILT-IN AUDIO INTERFACE

The HX Stomp also has a built-in 24-bit/96Hz, low-latency audio interface for Mac, iOS and Windows. This allows you to record the HX Stomp's audio via USB straight into your preferred digital audio workstation. Very convenient indeed. Other than for recording purposes, we expect this feature to be used widely by live players with Ableton Live and Mainstage rigs that are gradually gaining popularity.

The HX Stomp as a USB audio interface direct into Ableton Live

MIDI CAPABILITIES

The HX Stomp has outstanding MIDI capabilities, and can be controlled via MIDI over USB or its traditional 5-pin MIDI DIN connectors. Do note that if you want to control the HX Stomp via MIDI over USB, you will need a USB Host to do so.

MIDI enables you to perform 3 main functions: Preset & Snapshot Recall, Block Bypass and Parameter Control.

Preset and Snapshot Recall

Program Change (PC) messages can be used to recall presets and Snapshots on the HX Stomp. In the preset selection view, you can conveniently view which PC or Control Change (CC) message will recall that currently selected preset.

There is also a MIDI PC Tx feature on the HX Stomp that allows it to transmit a MIDI PC message which corresponds to the selected preset. The means that if a certain Preset is selected on the HX Stomp, the HX Stomp will send a PC message via it's MIDI OUT connector. This is great for when you need to change presets on other MIDI devices together with engaging a preset on the HX Stomp. This feature can be easily disabled if not required.

Block Bypass

Block Bypass allows you to turn on and off the different Blocks (or Effects) on the HX Stomp. CC values 0-63 will turn the block off, while 64-127 will turn the block on. You can assign any CC message (except those that are reserved for global functions) to control individual blocks on the HX Stomp. The HX Stomp uses a MIDI Learn system, and incoming CC message will be assigned to your selected block when in Learn mode. It is also possible to manually assign CC messages to each block.

Parameter Control

The HX Stomp's Midi implementation also allows you to control parameters within each block. That means that you can use CC messages to adjust parameters in your blocks (like Gain, Delay Time, Mix etc). Again, this can be implemented via the Learn function, or done manually as well.

Midi Conclusion

The MIDI implementation on the HX Stomp is well thought out and the 3 main MIDI functions give you total control of the HX Stomp via a midi controller. Practically, we foresee players using the Preset Recall and Block Bypass functions more often. They would most probably use their midi controllers to recall presets on the HX Stomp and then engage/disengage individual blocks within that preset. Players may also make use of Parameter Control if they would like to make minor adjustments to a particular block's settings while staying on the same preset.

PAIRING WITH THE MORNINGSTAR MC6

The Morningstar MC6 midi controller will greatly benefit all HX Stomp users, and we were especially excited to get our hands on the new Line 6 product the moment it arrived on our shores. We will go in depth about using the MC6 with the HX Stomp in our next blog post. Before that, find out more about the Morningstar MC6 MkII Midi Controller.
https://www.morningstarfx.com/mc6-mkii

VERDICT

Every once in a while, a new piece of gear comes along and unquestionably changes the game. The HX Stomp is a fully featured Helix system in a tiny enclosure. It is a great all-in-one solution on its own, with stellar effects, realistic amp and cab models, all tied together in a user-friendly interface. It can also easily be used with other pedals as its small footprint will allow it to sit nicely on most pedalboards. Being able to use the HX Stomp as a USB Audio and MIDI interface is a huge bonus, and gives you the added flexibility and convenience both on stage and in the studio.

Its compact size is excellent, but also comes with tradeoffs. Having only 3 switches means that foot control is very limited (choose between scrolling through presets or engaging/bypassing 2 pre-assigned blocks). However, the MIDI implementation on the HX Stomp is incredible and very user friendly, allowing you to easily connect it with a midi controller to recall presets on the fly, engage/bypass individual effect blocks and control effect parameters.

+ Intuitive user interface

+ Realistic and responsive amp/cab models

+ Wide range of high quality and useful effects

+ Great MIDI implementation

+ Compact size

+ Sturdy build quality

+ Good value for money

Dislikes

- Limited foot control with only 3 footswitches

- Not the most convincing overdrive and distortion algorithms

- Touch-sensitive footswitches can get activated unintentionally when tweaking knobs

Recommended for: Musicians who want a high quality, compact, all-in-one amp simulator and effects rig, that can also be part of a bigger pedalboard when needed.
[/i]

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27370275/

blackmonday wrote>

Just got my HX Stomp on Friday (thanks Westlake Village GC)::

I'm upgrading from the Pod HD Bean which has served me well for a looong time. I don't think the Stomp is the true successor to the bean, but it will do. A couple of quick notes:

being a pedal, it comes out of the box geared towards plugging into an amp's input - the first presets are geared towards that. So if you're like me and got the thing and plugged in headphones, scroll to the direct presets or you'll be scratching your head a bit.
The factory setting has the output level at amp level, so change it to direct so you don't have volume issues (too low out of the box for headphones)
it gets hot like an old laptop - not fry an egg hot, but hot. I hope that's OK for the summer gigs.
I started a brand new patch and wanted to load a amp+cab block and had to scroll through so many effects that it was ridiculous - it took too long to be honest. I haven't tried the mac editor, but to continue my theme, the FX get the first billing here.

If there's ever a Helix Bean in the future, I may pick that up as well.

And for the Line 6 folks down the street reading this - make a powered Helix and take on the Powerhead! Keep it portable too please :)

Kevin M

Just got mine Friday night and have managed to spend a couple of hours with it...mostly setting up the drivers, firmware update, and editor installation. I like the editor. This is a really nice box given its size and limitations. I'm able to dial up amp models and effects very easily. The modern hi-gain models need patience and good EQ skills (at least given my cursory dabblings). It could be nice for practices, or recording, or maybe a good little complement to an existing rig.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/got-the-hx-stomp-3-full-days-in.2004640/#post-27721942

otter5555 wrote>
first let me say that i am a kemper fanboy. i LOVE my kemper. 2.5 years with it and i have zero gripes.

i was curious about the helix (just for grins) but wasn't interested in the full boat so i bought an open box hx stomp for $549 from zzounds knowing i could send it back if i wanted to.

what got my interest up in the helix was watching a video on youtube with a guy using 4-5 hx stomp factory presets untouched. they sounded good to me. very good. since i have never heard a factory preset that i liked (in 50+ years of playing) i became interested in the hx stomp.

anyhow, i got it here and plugged it into my cheap rocket 5's that the kemper is plugged into.

i found a couple of the presets that i'd heard on youtube and they were nice. all i did was up the sag and lower the presence and saved them.

they were nice. they weren't kemper nice.

so i've a few spent days now seeing if i could build 2-3 "kemper nice" patches. i only need 2-3 patches to cover my whole setlist.

i decided to be very patient and try tons of amps-cabs-ir's and see if i could get kemper quality tones and feel out of a $549 box.

i seldom play clean, but still like a clean, delayed, chorused fender for 80's rock intros
i must have a crunchy plexi and a sustained lead tone. that covers my needs just fine.

i got each one of tones quickly. then spent the next few days improving them as far as i could take them.

i use those same tones with my kemper.

i have wound up using the stock cabs for all of my tones. i tried tons of ir's and just didn't see an improvement to my ears. the stock cabs do just fine. line 6 did it right.

using sag and bias (and a bit of compression) i have a nice "tube feel" (i like some "give" from my amps).

the 3 tones i created on the hx stomp match my kemper in tone and feel. i can't tell them apart side by side.

being one that is forever "stuck in the 80's" i decided to put the hx stomp metalzone in front of my clean fender preset minus the chorus. pure 80's hairband bliss :)

line 6 has created a monster :)
i'll never get rid of my kemper. but i feel just fine using the hx stomp in any situation.

ps: i never opened the manual. you can edit anything you want with one hand tied behind your back. the only time i used hx edit was to upload a bunch of ir's.

this thing is dirt simple. of course, my music and tones are dirt simple so i don't need a complicated rig.

don't hesitate if you are on the fence about the hx stomp. it has great tones and is a bargain even at full price.

admin

http://cyfrowogitarowo.pl/archiwa/3153

Test Line 6 HX Stomp: it's good
That's how one of the users of the Facebook group Helix Polska wrote, and we can only confirm it. It is worth, however, to write how Stomp falls out against the other Heliks. What are the common features with them, how they differ, Where are its strengths, and where are the weaknesses.

Building
They must admit that when I first saw HX Stomp, I knew in the picture that it would be small. However, only after removing it from the box I found out how much it is filigree and by the way how much it got stuck in and out. Stomp is enclosed in an armored aluminum housing (casting), which is slightly smaller than the DD Boss series or large Strymony. However, unlike them, this small multi is astonishing at the number of interfaces.

Input / Output
The inputs and outputs can be used in mono or stereo mode and, depending on the configuration, work as instrumental or line sockets. The fact is we will not find XLR outputs here, but the mounted TRS sockets produce a symmetrical signal and the only thing we need to do is to use the TRS> XLR.

Although this does not appear at first glance, there are jack sockets on the right side wall to operate two mono effect loops or one stereo. Due to the optimization of the place, instead of two pairs, you will find only three (!) Sockets - the loop is sent using the TRS cable.

There are also MIDI 5 DIN connectors, headphone output and EXP ½ output, to which you can connect either two expression pedals, or two additional footswitches or a pedal and one footswitch.

In relation to the bigger brother, Helix LT, he lacks the digital output, the Variax socket and the second pair of outputs. The rest remains the same.

navigation
It is exactly the same as in LT, but the layout of buttons changes, their size - only small metal encoders are available - and quantity. In HX Stompie, instead of an encoder used to select presets and a multi-functional joystick, we simply have two encoders and four buttons instead of eight. Fortunately, less does not mean harder. Simplifications are logical and applied to functions that are less frequently used. Instead of pressing one Save button, like in LT here, we have to press two (View and Action). The same procedure gives access to the system menu (hamburger icon). In LT, when we want to turn off some block we use the Bypass button, in Stompa we press the upper encoder, pressing the two encoders makes a global bypass, etc.

In navigating Stompie, we can use a color LCD screen that, despite its poor looking paper resolution (320 × 240 pixels), is very well readable. With the View button we switch between Edit View and Play View. The first mode is used to edit the effect chain, in which the upper encoder is used to navigate blocks and turn them on. Page <> keys are used to scroll the parameters of a given algorithm, which are controlled by three encoders placed under the screen.

The editing of parameters related to the blocks can be done more quickly and easily from the computer using the HX Edit editor. Let's just remember that we can not edit global settings in this way, such as eg Global EQ or settings of additional expression pedals.

The footswitches, as in the whole Heliksów family, are sensitive to touch and have illuminated LED rings. The principle of their operation remains unchanged, but "touch" is only useful when editing and assigning FSs to selected parameters. In Stomp, we can not edit without using our hands.

Edit View

Play View

Attention! Theoretically, any preset from Helix or HX Effect, which has six or fewer blocks, can be used in Stomp. The problem is that such presets from Helix can not be uploaded to Stomp. The only way is to connect both devices at once to the editor and transfer settings by copying entire blocks. The same can be done using Native version 2.71.

controlling
Play View is the one you most probably are curious about, because it is used to control Stomp during the game. In this mode, the screen displays a large number and name of the preset and information about which blocks are assigned to the footswitch (Stomp Mode). Using the Page <> buttons, you can switch between other modes and change the functions copied to the footswitches:

Scroll Mode is used to scroll between three Snapshots or presets: FS1 shifts up, FS2 down, FS3 gives access to the assigned function. Pressing FS1 + 2 toggles between scrolling snapshots and presets.
Preset Mode is used to select presets. FSs choose 1-2-3 preset in the bank;
Snapshot Mode does the same but with respect to snapshots. FSs choose 1-2-3 snapshots.
In the last two modes, simultaneous pressing of FS1 + 2 or FS2 + 3 opens the list of presets saved in the bank, from which we can choose one of them, or change the bank down (FS1 + 2) or up (FS2 + 3).

If you do not plan to add an additional switch to Stomp, I would recommend using Snapshot Mode or accessing one function key, Scroll Mode.

However, if we think about using this little one as an independent multi, then we will achieve the full happiness by adding to it the expression pedal and one additional footswitch that will be used to select the Play View mode. It is worth remembering, because it can not be done with the built-in FS, but only with the Page buttons that you have to press with your finger!

Makaroni: expression pedal hooked up after MIDI, two footswitches.

The situation changes dramatically if the HX Stomp is one of the elements of a larger pedalboard. Then the presets can be changed in it, eg from the level of the GSC-4 MIDI loop / floor. You can also use such an additional controller to select scenes or connect the expression pedal, etc.

Signal routing
In HX Stomp, the signal path is as flexible as in LT or large Helix. The problem is that in its path the signal can only go through 6 blocks. If we connect

Such an idea: In the left channel we have an electric guitar (Wah + Dist + Amp / Cab + Rev), in the right acoustic (Dly + Rev).

Stompa to the amplifier using the 4-wire method, we will have 5 free blocks available. We can split the audio track into two tracks and connect two instruments simultaneously to the stomp. It's just that then we will have only 6 blocks to build, and this may be a bit too small.
Other scenarios are also possible: for example, to connect Stomp to a rigidly acoustic and electric guitar and to use only one instrument without the need to override it.
As in HX Effecte, here too we have a choice of a tru-bypass, or DSP bypass, transferring "tails" between presets.

Possibilities and functions
Stomp is Helix in the ankle. It has exactly the same effects, the same amplifiers, the same processor, the same pickups and, according to the assurances of Line 6, sounds exactly the same. From the side of the inputs and outputs it makes a good impression and, as I wrote, it lacks only the Variax's support, the digital output and the second pair of main outputs.

Functionally, HX Stop is also almost the same. What can be done in Helek can be done here (you can read about the effects, scenes here, for example). The exception is Looper, which in Foot due to footswitch poverty occurs only in the one-touch version (1-Switch Looper). The second difference is the lack of the Command Center, ie the possibility of assigning MIDI commands to the footswitch (CC, PC, MMC, Note on / off), which other devices from the Helix family can send independently of all other functions. HX Stomp only sends PC messages when changing presets.

The main difference is the limited (unfortunately) only up to 6 items the number of seats per function block. Let me remind you that in Helix one can fill up to 16 on one path. As long as there is enough power. This in HX Stomp on one audio track is exactly the same as in the other Helixes. We have the same DSP chip, which, regardless of the device, can be clogged with a "heavy" configuration. Check out the combination of 5 blocks: Clowthorn Drive, Brit Plexi Jumped (Amp + Cab), Double Tank and extremely light Chorus, Volume pedal and Wah. There is no more power here, but we could easily add 2 EQs, for which we already lack slots in Stomp. Of course, in Heliksach, thanks to the fact that we can combine into one two tracks supported by separate processors, we have 2x more power.

Stomp, like HX Effects, are powered by the same large 3-amp DC-3 power supply. Theoretically, it is a 9V power supply, but due to the high current demand of Line 6 in Stomp and HXFX he made a thicker pin (-), so as not to be wrong. You can try to replace it with another power supply, but the manufacturer warns about the risk of raising the noise level. For example, two sections should be sufficient: Strymon Zuma R300 (-140dBr) or Voodoo Lab Pedal Power (-124dBr).

What else? HX Stomp quite neat multichannel audio interface 24-bit / 96 kHz. It can be connected not only to the computer, but also to the iPad / iPhone.

Podumowanie
The quality and power of Helix in a small box: In one sentence you can describe HX Stomp. It is a bit harder to say who Stomp is for. In Line 6, it is not a miniature equivalent of Helix, but a device that can replace up to six pedals in the pedalboard and at the same time act as a "spare race". Stomp will also work as an independent equipment with which you can travel. He can also connect it to a synthesizer or AX8 or Kemper to fill their gaps.

What could change in Stompie in the future is the number of blocks. Two more slots, even as a paid option, would radically change the capabilities of the smallest Helix.

Dimensions: 17.78 × 12.7 × 6.35 cm
Weight: 0.79 kg
Price: approx. PLN 2300
Info, video:  Line 6

We thank Line 6 for making the product available for testing.

Bill Ruppert

I adore this little box!
Shoot some IR,s of the GT 1000 speakers simulators drop them in the HX Stomp and it's a very close shave!
A+++

sixeight

Haha. I shot an IR of the 4x10 cab of the VG99 and use it on the Helix. I kinda like that sound.