Controlling other synths with Gr-700

Started by guitar_dude, August 26, 2018, 07:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar_dude

Has anyone used their Gr-700 midi out to control other synths? Was wondering how stable the midi out is on the Gr-700.  I'm pretty sure I've read it won't do pitch bend through midi, but other wise I'm hoping it will work well enough. I just want to do chords and other slow stuff, no fast lead playing or anything like that.

Thanks for any help.

kslight

I've not tried it myself because I have a GM70 also.  I believe the GR700 does not output pitch bend through MIDI.  You may want to just pick up a GM70 for MIDI purposes, they are pretty cheap...it can be configured extensively (not sure if GR700 has as complete implementation...I'm thinking not) and it will output pitch bend depending on the mode you are in.

I find the GM70 tracking acceptable (though technically slower than the GR700 synth engine directly...not sure about speed for GR700 midi out), just as with the GR700 you have to play fairly precisely and avoid too many guitar tricks, but I'm sure you know that already.  For slower stuff and cleanly played chords you shouldn't have too many problems.

PeakSynthesis

I know this is an old post but just to add to the knowledgebase.....

GR-700 MIDI out is very rudimentary and only involves the following messages that I've seen:

Note On:  $90  NOTE(36-96)  VELOCITY(1-127)
Note Off:  $90  NOTE(36-96)  $00

Hold On:  $B0  $40  $7F
Hold Off:  $B0  $40  $00

Program Change:  $C0  Program($00-$7F)

All Notes Off:  $B0  $7B  $00

Onmi Off:  $B0  $7C  $00
Poly On:  $B0  $7F  $00

Notes:
- This information was derived by disassembly of the SH1.4 and SH1.5 firmware in the GR-700 to see what data can potentially be placed in the transmit buffer.
- The Omni Off / Poly On messages are only transmitted together and only once at power-on if the String 3 key is held down at the same time
- Program Change is only sent if the String 2 key is held down during power-on
- Hold Status is only sent if the String 1 key is held down during power-on
- Note off is sent as Note On with a velocity of zero
- No pitch bend information is transmitted
- This isn't 100% verified because the disassembly is only cursory and more or less by hand using hacked together tools but I'll consider it probably 99.99% accurate because it's based on  what data can potentially be placed in the transmit buffer and I don't anticipate any surprises once the complete firmware disassembly has been commented through reverse engineering.

arkieboy

Its been decades since I had one, but I remember having to hold switches down when I turned it on.

All it supported was basic, poly mode chromatic midi on a single channel.  It sent patch changes - I had a TX81Z and a SPX90 which I used live with the GR700 - but AFAIR it sent hold bytes and didn't mess with the note on/note off.  I could hold the '700 but not the 81Z, which was as much of a feature as a problem.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

jim-analog

Greetings,

I've used my 700 MIDI out to control a Sequential Circuits Prophet 600 with no issues. It's been a while, but if I'm recalling correctly turning OFF the chromatic function on the 700 solved an issue regarding the next note on the 600. I've also had the 700 MIDI out run a Roland MKS30, but that is almost exactly the same synth engine as the 700 (or JX3P keyboard) but in a rack mount configuration. Pretty sure I've tried some other units as slaves, but these are the ones I own and am most familiar with. I don't recall anything I ever tried not working at all or having any major problems.

pinkjimiphoton

i'm using the midi out of my gr700/707 to control a paia fatman, a behringer model d and a behringer k2 simultaneously, its absolutely tracking pitch bends, and well. video on my youtube.com/666pinkster