Stuck/Jammed RRC 2 Cable

Started by Frank, May 28, 2018, 11:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

My RRC 2 cable has become jammed/stuck inside my FC-300.  :'(

Has anybody found a solution to release the the Ethercon?
I've read elsewhere on the forum that others have suggested a thin, flat screwdriver pressing down against the housing to release but I've had no success with this approach.

I'm just checking if anyone has a reliable fix for this before I explore dismantling the unit (even then, I'm not sure if that would help). 

kenact

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

admin

Did you use the neutrik Ethercon type plug into FC300 RRC2 jack?
On right

see these threads
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=287.25

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18776.0

kenact

I don't have an RRC2 cable. I was going by the picture in the manual, and didn't realize that Roland came up with another "unique" connector idea. An RJ45, inside an XLR connector. Brilliant.  ;D

We need a "Tongue in cheek" emoji.

I've seen instances where the XLR release has broken, on a Roland KC350 amp, and the only way to remove the cable, is to take the unit apart.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Frank

Quote from: admin on May 28, 2018, 12:21:21 PM
Did you use the neutrik Ethercon type plug into FC300 RRC2 jack?
On right

I'm using the original cable that came with the VG-99.

Martin Turner

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem. Roland's own design makes it apparently impossible to fix.
Godin LGX - VG-99

Brent Flash

Quote from: Martin Turner on January 03, 2019, 12:30:47 PM
Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem. Roland's own design makes it apparently impossible to fix.
Mine has never got stuck! So it must be some part that is just a we bit too big on the connector. If you get some thin small screw driver and a magnifying glass I bet you can get it to turn loose. Just a suggestion. Hope it works! Good Luck!  :)

Brent Flash

I have a suggestion that may help. It is just a shot in the dark but when I just went and removed the cable I noticed that you have to push the release tab all the way in before it will release. Maybe your tab got bent and does not go in far enough. So my suggestion is to bend the tab a little away from the FC-300 housing so that when you push the tab it may go in a little farther or all the way and release the plug. Like I said, just something to try. Good luck!

admin

Simply unscrew the rear strain relief of the large Ethercon plug ( that looks like an XLR) counter-clockwise - pull the housing back , then release the internal RJ45 plug

Brent Flash

On my RRC 2 Cable it is not the RJ45 plug that locks. It is the housing that locks. The release tab pushes down a pin that locks into the slot on top of the housing. Has this changed in later models?

admin

Quote from: Brent Flash on January 03, 2019, 01:25:35 PM
On my RRC 2 Cable it is not the RJ45 plug that locks. It is the housing that locks. The release tab pushes down a pin that locks into the slot on top of the housing. Has this changed in later models?

We each may need to post a pic of our FC-300 RRC2 cables

a few different types have been employed  - and some RRC2 cables were assembled incorrectly ( leaving the internal RJ45 plastic release tab in place ( which is wrong and leads to the RRC2 Ethercon cable getting stuck inside  the FC300 )   

and used FC-300 / VG-99 may ship with a replacement Ethercon>RJ45 cable
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1125402-REG/comprehensive_cat6_10problk_er_pro_av_it_cat6_ethercon.html

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=287.25
Quote from:  imall41 on June 01, 2012, 05:41:48 AM
I think rah3 may be referring to the cable that comes with the FC-300 (or VG-99, I don't remember which unit included the special cable, with the large metal sleeve that locks into the FC-300).

I had the same issue. I searched here for help, but didn't find any info.

The metal sleeve has a release, but there is no way to release the latch on the cat5 cable itself, inside the sleeve.

The latch on the cat5 cable should've been removed by Roland, on the end inside that metal sleeve.

I knew better, and wish I had thought of that before I attached it to the FC-300.

You need to break off that locking clip on the RJ45 plug , inside the Ethercon sleeve, before plugging it into the FC-300

I had to completely destroy that cable in order to release the clip, and remove it from the FC-300 without damaging the FC.

I hope someone here has a trick I don't know of, but my solution wasn't pretty.

You might want to wait and see if someone chimes in here with a solution before you perform cable surgery like I had to.
[/i]

Brent Flash

So now that I have inspected it with my magnifiers it looks like if the release tab does not work you will need a tool that has an L at the tip to depress the locking pin in the slot on top of the plug housing. It will have to be small enough to fit in the crack between the female housing and male plug housing with a bent (90 Degree) tip that can fit in the slot on top of the plug.

You will have to push it down to unlock it.

Brent Flash

Here are pictures of my connectors. Sorry about it being blurry!  :)

Brent Flash

Quote from: admin on January 03, 2019, 01:29:21 PM

a few different types have been employed  - and some RRC2 cables were assembled incorrectly ( leaving the internal RJ45 plastic release tab in place ( which is wrong and leads to the RRC2 Ethercon cable getting stuck inside  the FC300 )   

and used FC-300 / VG-99 may ship with a replacement Ethercon>RJ45 cable
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1125402-REG/comprehensive_cat6_10problk_er_pro_av_it_cat6_ethercon.html

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=287.25[/i]
In this case the disassembly of the housing should work but still may need to use a tool on the housing if the latch for the housing does not disengage. If it does then you can get to the tab on the RJ45 and should be able to get it out and break the tab off and reassemble the housing. It can be done one way or the other!  :)

admin

i understand the folks with "Stuck RRC2 Ethercon connector inside the FC300" got the bad batch of RRC2 cables where they were assembled incorrectly  - because the Ethercon end internally still has the RJ-45 plastic locking tab - which is the source of the inability to remove the RRC2 cable from the FC300   

Brent Flash

Quote from: admin on January 03, 2019, 02:39:06 PM

i understand the folks with "Stuck RRC2 Ethercon connector inside the FC300" got the bad batch of RRC2 cables where they were assembled incorrectly  - because the Ethercon end internally still has the RJ-45 plastic locking tab - which is the source of the inability to remove the RRC2 cable from the FC300
Yes, I had not heard that they did that but the post right before this one I explained what to do if that is the case as you suggested to pull the housing apart.

If the metal latch is working you may be able to just break the plastic tab off by pulling real hard but that may not be a good idea. You need to break the tab off anyway.  :o

admin

Quote from: Brent Flash on January 03, 2019, 02:55:59 PM

If the metal latch is working you may be able to just break the plastic tab off by pulling real hard but that may not be a good idea. You need to break the tab off anyway.  :o

if you force remove the stuck Ethercon connector from FC300, (even if you press the "PUSH" release button on the FC300)   sadly 9 times out of ten, the Ethercon female Jack becomes damaged and requires a $274 internal FC300 PCB board replacement