Add more speaker output options to KTN-Head like Artist Model?

Started by J Michael, March 11, 2018, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Michael

Hi All,

I purchased the head a week or so ago and my one gripe is the single speaker output of 8 or 16 ohm. I do not see this as a fault or anything as I knew this when I purchased it.

The new 1x12 Katana Artist has an interesting setup and I assume I could mod my head to have the same based on my own assumptions of how the Artist is wired.

I would love to see the wiring or a schematic for the Artist model if anyone has it or can get it. Just to confirm my own assumptions. If anyone has access to this info and can post that would be wonderful.

As far as a mod goes I imagine that this could be either a mod that is done to the head itself or a simple external mod that just plugs into the existing output which would work for the head and any of the others if they have been setup to have a speaker. Either way it would be a pretty simple mod outside of altering the head for a professional look if wanted.

Why would I want this? I would really like to have two outputs so I can run with just a single, 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 or double it up and run with two cabs. I know it would not be to difficult to achieve this outside of the head but the convenience of just grabbing another cable and plugging another 2x12 for larger venues is tempting. In my case, I have 2 DIY 2x12 cabs wired with two outputs, 1 for single speaker at 8 ohm and the other for both at 16 ohm.

Would love to see if this gets traction here.

Cheers All,

J M
J Michael
—————
Dad, Husband, Musician, Guitar Instructor, Electronics Engineer, Software Developer, Computer & Network Engineer are a few of my hats.

gumtown

No matter how you do it, the Amp must not have a load any more than 8 ohms.
Which gives you the option of
1 x 8 ohm cabinet
1 x 16 ohm cabinet
2 x 16 ohm cabinet (= 8 ohm load combined in parallel)
2 x 8 ohm cabinets in series (= 16 ohms)
2 x 4 ohm cabinets in series (= 8 ohms)

The safest option for 2 output jacks is to have a main one, and a second one in series with a shorting switch,
so if nothing is plugged in, only the main output works (with a non switching socket).
Then you can run any variety of cabinets without blowing the Katana amp chip from overload.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on March 11, 2018, 09:20:06 PM
No matter how you do it, the Amp must not have a load any more than 8 ohms.
Which gives you the option of
1 x 8 ohm cabinet
1 x 16 ohm cabinet
2 x 16 ohm cabinet (= 8 ohm load combined in parallel)
2 x 8 ohm cabinets in series (= 16 ohms)
2 x 4 ohm cabinets in series (= 8 ohms)

The safest option for 2 output jacks is to have a main one, and a second one in series with a shorting switch,
so if nothing is plugged in, only the main output works (with a non switching socket).

Then you can run any variety of cabinets without blowing the Katana amp chip from overload.

...thank you for saying so eloquently what it was that I was thinking....    ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

J Michael

My actual plan for what I am doing is below. For a general all purpose mod I was thinking more in terms of creating something bulletproof for others that want to use different cabs with the head. Like adding the Artist speaker outs. Or,  a plastic project box between the head and cabs, making a build like current ABY type switchers, etc. I think the head could use some more options. Maybe it already exists as a cheap cab switcher already, doh.

My current project is as follows.

All of the wiring will be done to the two cabs rather than the KTN-head. I have two older 2x12 combos, one working, that are at the point where the speakers are worth more than the amp. I am tired of fixing the finicky one even though it is probably an easy fix. I will be able to drop the heads back in and put them back in order after, if I want to convert them back at some later date.

One has a pair of Celestion G12T-100's and the other has Celestion G12T-60's made for Trace Elliot. All are 8ohm making them perfect for my use. I plan to pull out the heads, drop in a patch panel blank then do a speaker swap so each has 60 and a 100. They should make a great sounding pair.

After that I will wire them up as follows. One cab will have 3 ins, two singles ins as 8ohm Left and 8ohm Right and a single 16ohm mono for both. That will give me a single 12 of either speaker type or a straight up 2x12. 3 tonal options, WIN!  With the other cab I am going to do just 2 ins. One will be a single 2x12 16 ohm and other will take a daisy chain from the others 2x12 in and parallel the two cabs to the second in, creating a 4x12 at 8ohm.

I have a tendency to over engineer my projects so they will be wired to not allow 4ohm out regardless of how it is wired, even if wired wrong it will be 8ohm+ or cut out completely. I just haven't decided whether to use some actual switches or do it all through switching jacks.

It is pretty simple to build but harder to explain to most people as it sounds complicated.

Cheers,
J Michael
J Michael
—————
Dad, Husband, Musician, Guitar Instructor, Electronics Engineer, Software Developer, Computer & Network Engineer are a few of my hats.