State of Boss GP-10 on Linux in 2023?

Started by jtode, January 16, 2023, 06:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtode

Hey all,

Linux user, also a GP-10 owner, also just joined a new bar band in which I'll be switching between keys and guitar and vox, so I'm planning to shed the amp and go with GP-10 and my VR-09 organ and my mic into a common mixer with feeds to the PA and some sort of personal monitor, be it a cheap wedge I own or maybe eventually something in-ear.

I'm aware that the audio hardware has long since been implemented in the kernel so I'm not anticipating issues there, but I'm not particularly enjoying programming the beast with its buttons and knobs, so I wanna try out what else is available. I can always run Boss's software on my Windoze laptop, but I'd prefer to see if I can just work from my main Arch machine. I downloaded the GP-10 packages here, and am going to give it a go today, it was last updated just over a year ago so hopefully nothing is broken.

Update: I extracted the Linux executable and ran it and it found the GP-10 immediately, and appears to be enjoying full bidirectional communications with no further effort from me. I have not yet attempted to load a patch downloaded from here.

̶I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶, has anyone run Boss Tone Studio under Wine? Am I attempting to shave an unnecessary yak that does not want to be shaved? Yaks run when they see me now, it's a problem.

pasha811

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

jtode

Yes, I had actually downloaded them already when I posted but hadn't tried yet - worked brilliantly.

I'm still a bit unclear on what the interface is doing as regards the signal routing, it drags and drops but it moves other things besides. The help files don't match the software. This is not said in a spirit of complaint, just observations, and once I've got it fully wrangled I'm gonna make a little Youtube video explainer cause there doesn't seem to be anything of that nature for it and it deserves a bit more exposure. Very good stuff.