Advice re GR505?

Started by Billy Kaffadrin, January 17, 2018, 06:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Kaffadrin

Some people rescue animals,  I find myself  rescuing guitars...
I love this old GR 505. I got it with the Roland neck gone, and the banana Headstock Epiphone neck broken in shipping. Which paid for this replacement fender neck.
The volume pot is slotted and half busted off but it works. I don't have a use for the 24 pin side. I do have an old GK2a kit  that was a Pull  I think from Roland ready strat.
I'm wondering if the kit will fit elegantly into this guitar or if it's worth it. I'm wondering if the 24 pin electronics are worth anything,  or if I can keep the metal plate that closes the cavity and use that  with the 13 pin kit. Or if I should just rip it all out and use it as a guitar.
It plays beautifully, is  heavy and  nicely distressed. I like this guitar, but I'm wondering how to best use it – or maybe I should just sell it to somebody who needs a 24 pin guitar...
Thoughts?

chrish

You might be able to get $100 for that Electronics board, which would be enough to purchase an internal GK kit, through Anderton's Music in the UK. And you might be able to sell the 24-pin jack separate from the board.

Or just use your Salvage kit, it should work fine.

You should keep the metal cover plate however to mount the 13 pin jack, and the quarter inch guitar out Jack.

Also I believe that you could use the stock hex pickup which will require adapting the cable to the new preamp GK board or simply replace it with the GK3 pickup that comes with the internal kit. I have read that those old cables are fragile.

As for wiring the stock magnetic pickups, I'm sure folks around here have some recommendations for that.

jim-analog

Greetings,

Billy, I'm in exactly the reverse position. I have the same 'burst 505 guitar, but none of the internal electronics (I do have the rear cover though). I'd be happy to purchase what you have so you can put the fund towards the appropriate parts you need. Let me know and thanks!

Regards, Jim