GR33 and TruTone CS12 power supply?

Started by JiveTurkey, January 09, 2018, 06:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JiveTurkey

I have a GR33 coming in today. It comes with a 14v, 800mA adapter. Forgive my noob-level electronics knowledge; but is there any safe way to run it off my CS12 pedal power supply? Obviously; there are no 14v, 800mA taps on it. Here is what is available on the CS12:

Thanks either way. Looking forward to running the 33 with my FTP!

chrish

Seems like there would be less latency and more accurately using the gk3. Guessing your looking for wireless though. Roland guitar synths always trigger internal sounds faster using the  13 pin connection than via midi.

JiveTurkey

We'll see when I get it. I'll end up back at GK land if so. Can you do a reverse mount GK3 with the 33 I wonder? I am pretty sure that I am going to have to use the bundled adapter too.

chrish

I should have stated guitar pitch to Midi and then back into the Roland guitar synth or another since tone module via MIDI

I'd be interested in what your test results would be if you compared the FTP versus the gk3 into the gr 33.

admin

No the CS12 does not support the GR33
The 18 V @ 100mA DC outputs  are useless for GR33  -  which requires 14VAC @ 800MA power supply
The GK PU can be reverse mounted , but electrically modified to accomodate all GK processors

JiveTurkey

I'll report back. I have a power supply coming from another vendor so I will have to wait to try it out  :-X

I have went round and round with synth gear. The FTP is awesome; but trying to pin down what to drive with it is a hassle imo. I have used some cheap solutions (midiEngine USB, S-Engine) as well as messed around with soft synths, an Ipad based rig and driving a Roland hardware synth.

Tracking is fine but stuff like bends and other picking nuances seem a little glitchier than the GK based stuff. Beyond that; I don't necessarily like the hardware settings management of the FTP. With the Roland; you just go into GK settings on the synth device and be done. The FTP requires connecting to a PC and some tweaking I don't find pleasant. Not in a difficult way, but just in a way that seems a little too removed for me. I never had per-patch settings on the GK gear but the FTP seems like it would benefit more from that.

I've digressed farther than I would like  :o I will report back with GR33 findings later in the week Chris.

admin

QuoteI'll report back. I have a power supply coming from another vendor so I will have to wait to try it out  :-X

Tough to beat the factory GR-33 power supply

BRC-120 which is 14VAC @ 800mA

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-BRC-120-BRC120-Power-Supply/dp/B0002CZVCI