VG-99 - Mesa Boogie Modern Dual Rectifier

Started by A2theT, January 19, 2010, 12:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A2theT

Ok, so you be the judge here.
I took 4 different modelers and compared them to the VG-99.
I didn't really test responsiveness other than to say I liked Guitar Rig the least from a playability standpoint but it did sound nice.

The Setup:
Ibanez RG-540 straight into VG which was recorded direct via USB and panned hard left (in each mp3).  No COSM guitars used for this demo.
Guitar out of the VG into the Instrument in of my Line6 Toneport UX2 to send the dry signal to all the vsti plugins.
I then opened each vsti and programmed up a straight dual rec model with every knob at 50%.
Each vsti is panned hard right.
I used the stock Mesa cab sims within each plugin.
All effects were disabled and not inserted as well.
Guitar Rig and Nomad's Gain control did not appear to be in sync with the rest of the modellers (level wise).
The output volumes of each guitar amp sim varied too.

FWIW, I have posted the Recto patch I used which is basically stock with everything set to 50%.
Additionally a programmed the VG-99 F1-F6 controls to simulate the knobs on the amp.

I listened to these through Yamaha NS-10Ms and AKG K240 heads as well.

Personally I thing the VG and the POD sound the best.  But of course all this stuff is subjective.

I will be interested to hear different opinions on this.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

Good lord - better late than never - nobody responded to this?  You must have put a heck of a lot of work into this. 

So VG-99 left channel in each example and then vsti right channel?

I personally do not own a recto but when I got a chance to spend some extended time with one really liked the 50 watt head version.

I will be listening to this one and playing with it for quite a bit.

Thanks for the work! 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.