VG-99 Editor working on macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (16E195), but only on laptop.

Started by mooncaine, May 07, 2017, 09:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Well, the editor opened on this new MacBook Pro, and it opens my saved patch files. No kernel panic yet.... Cautiously optimistic.

arkieboy

While I haven't tried it out on my 2017 MBP yet, I've been running the editor and librarian on whatever has been the latest version of OS X for quite some time without any hitches.  Have been using 10.12.4 since released on my mac mini with no problems.

I have old hardware lying around just incase, but I have to say the editor and drivers for Mac have been pretty spot on for the last three years.  Well done, Roland!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

mooncaine

But it still crashes my Mac Pro, hard. I installed the macOS Sierra driver today on that Mac Pro, and reinstalled the VG-99 Editor. Both were downloaded today.

I still get an instant kernel panic and a restart if I try to open the Editor. I should mention that I tried all this while csrutil was disabled, which I disabled before doing any of today's tests.

Bummer. I don't know why it's working on the MBP running its own Sierra, but not on the MP, so I don't feel reassured that it'll keep working on the laptop.

admin

What year/model number Mac Pro?

Is it the round black cylinder or older silver Aluminum tower ?

mooncaine

The cylinder, the Darth Vader's Wastebasket model.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
1 TB internal SSD

Running macOS Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)

admin

Might obtain a USB <> MIDI adapter (iConnectivity MIO,Roland UM-One MkII )  and try connecting the VG-99 Editor using the 5pin MIDI Interface (and not use the VG-99 USB driver /USB cable  )

mooncaine

Kinky. I'm game to try it if USB stops working on the new MacBook Pro. It is working, even after a recent OS update (last couple days).

But on the Mac Pro, the prob is that the editor won't run. It's the software that crashes the Mac, I think.

I'm not sure I need to solve this prob, but I did want to report it, to help others here who might be doing research before they buy something.

mooncaine

I should probably add that this Mac Pro has another undiagnosed kernel panic cause, so maybe this is my last report until I know more.

When I open Audio MIDI Setup, the same Mac Pro crashes. I fixed that once, but forgot what I did. When/if I rediscover that fix, I'll be able to try VG-99 software on that Mac Pro again.

admin

Quote from: mooncaine on May 16, 2017, 03:26:08 PM
I should probably add that this Mac Pro has another undiagnosed kernel panic cause, so maybe this is my last report until I know more.

When I open Audio MIDI Setup, the same Mac Pro crashes. I fixed that once, but forgot what I did. When/if I rediscover that fix, I'll be able to try VG-99 software on that Mac Pro again.

Might try the VG-99 Editor download from Australia
VG-99 EDITOR/LIBRARIAN VERSION 1.01A (MAC)
https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/support/by_product/vg-99/updates_drivers/4995

- its different than the RolandUS version
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21414.msg154218;topicseen#msg154218

mooncaine

I want to update you on the weird kernel panic I reported when using VG-99 Editor on my Mac Pro, running Sierra. The editor's fine.

I learned that one of my 2 Apple Cinema LED displays is causing it. When that monitor's USB connector is attached to the computer, either directly or thru powered hub, it seems to cause a kernel panic related to MIDI.

If I try the Editor, or Ableton Live, or Audio MIDI Setup, I get the kernel panic. But the fix is easy: I unplug that particular monitor's USB connector, sacrificing 3 USB ports on the monitor. No kernel panic. I have 2 identical monitors (same order, same shipment).

You just wouldn't believe the hours I wasted trying to troubleshoot that. And mac tech visits. And a support call. I missed an important step, so it's my fault: I should have booted the Mac with only one monitor, 1 Apple keyboard, and 1 mouse attached... NOTHING else. Had I done so, I might not have found the problem, because I regarded the monitors as identical and I wasn't actually thinking of trying each one separately.... but one of them uses an extension cable for USB/Thunderbolt. The other doesn't. So... that's the only reason I eventually tried booting with each one, alone. Nevertheless, I wasted a lot of time because I forgot that each monitor has USB and is a device that interacts with the Mac. I had gotten used to thinking of a monitor as a passive receiver, not as an active transmitter.

[btw, these aren't mine... they're my employer's. No way would I shell out for an Apple display]

admin

Quote from: mooncaine on January 30, 2018, 01:06:35 PM
I want to update you on the weird kernel panic I reported when using VG-99 Editor on my Mac Pro, running Sierra. The editor's fine.

I learned that one of my 2 Apple Cinema LED displays is causing it. When that monitor's USB connector is attached to the computer, either directly or thru powered hub, it seems to cause a kernel panic related to MIDI.

If I try the Editor, or Ableton Live, or Audio MIDI Setup, I get the kernel panic. But the fix is easy: I unplug that particular monitor's USB connector, sacrificing 3 USB ports on the monitor. No kernel panic. I have 2 identical monitors (same order, same shipment).

You just wouldn't believe the hours I wasted trying to troubleshoot that. And mac tech visits. And a support call. I missed an important step, so it's my fault: I should have booted the Mac with only one monitor, 1 Apple keyboard, and 1 mouse attached... NOTHING else. Had I done so, I might not have found the problem, because I regarded the monitors as identical and I wasn't actually thinking of trying each one separately.... but one of them uses an extension cable for USB/Thunderbolt. The other doesn't. So... that's the only reason I eventually tried booting with each one, alone. Nevertheless, I wasted a lot of time because I forgot that each monitor has USB and is a device that interacts with the Mac. I had gotten used to thinking of a monitor as a passive receiver, not as an active transmitter.

[btw, these aren't mine... they're my employer's. No way would I shell out for an Apple display]

Each Apple Monitor employs a USB Hub
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5064487
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thunderbolt-display-drops-usb-ports.1372018/

( you can have too many !
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1781064

mooncaine

Thank you. Hmm, maybe I can replace that cable. I'll look it over tomorrow.