Boss V-BDN ( VG Strandberg) V-Guitar

Started by Elantric, January 19, 2017, 12:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Quote from:  aliensporebomb on November 21, 2017, 05:39:20 AM
So, a budget beginners instrument then?  Yeow!

...so obviously they didn't manage to save too much by omitting the 13-pin jack...  ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

vanceg

Quote from:  Cups on September 08, 2017, 05:29:23 AM
Now if they were to release that tech with the hex pickup in a dual pedal format I bet it might sell. Dumbed down modelling a la EHX.

You mean, the GP-10?

Elantric

Quote from:  vanceg on January 02, 2018, 04:04:17 PM
You mean, the GP-10?

Agreed - in fact the GP-10 does a lot more compared to the Boss V-BDN ( VG Strandberg) V-Guitar , and its simple use GP-10 only for Guitar Modeling + DSP Alt Tuning and Guitar to MIDI

Cups

I have a GP-10 and am in love with it. But I think it has a bit of an identity crisis. Maybe it's trying too hard to do everything and because of this it does a few things well and is lacking in a few other areas. A GP-10 format with just modelling and tuning and  better/more flexible in outs would be prettt cool, and sought after in my opinion

Majiken

Quote from:  Elantric on January 02, 2018, 04:15:19 PM
its simple use GP-10 only for Guitar Modeling + DSP Alt Tuning and Guitar to MIDI

After having read elsewhere on the Forum that for another user the quality of Alt Tunings improved significantly (less warbling) when using the GP-10 solely for modeling and alt tunings, I had to test it with my Godin LGX-T.  I had visions of an ATG-1 at a fraction of the footprint!

So, I found a patch I had made with an acoustic 12-string tuned to drop D (think "The Wizard" from Uriah Heep) that sounds great, but turns into warble chaos during chord fadeout.  Perfect candidate.... took a completely separate patch, turned everything off except the modeled guitar and the tuning, and?  Since you only hear the guitar, the warbles come through much clearer  :'(.  No need to explain that a GK-3 performs better, I know that....  Fired up my Electra with the built-in ATG, played my drop D 12, no issues. 

I personally like the GP10 models quite a bit, and there is a lot more in very good quality than the ATG has to offer.  I also like many of the effects in the box and agree with Cups that better and more flexible ins and outs (routing) would make it even more attractive.  What seems to separate me from many on the forum is that I like playing wireless, with the option to get out in the audience if I so desire, so the current state of 13-pin will never be totally satisfying for me as long as it has to be hardwired.  I have been swimming through the ocean of information regarding FTP here, and will be almost certainly pulling the trigger on that soon.  At the same time, I totally understand what forum member Smash is going through with his lean toward acoustic; for the kind of stuff I do, if I can't pull off a perfomance utterly without electronic assistance, I'm doing something wrong.  Yin-yang, what a wonderful privilege to have the option of going full-tilt either way  :)!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Quote from:  Majiken on January 03, 2018, 01:35:10 AM
After having read elsewhere on the Forum that for another user the quality of Alt Tunings improved significantly (less warbling) when using the GP-10 solely for modeling and alt tunings, I had to test it with my Godin LGX-T.  I had visions of an ATG-1 at a fraction of the footprint!

So, I found a patch I had made with an acoustic 12-string tuned to drop D (think "The Wizard" from Uriah Heep) that sounds great, but turns into warble chaos during chord fadeout.  Perfect candidate.... took a completely separate patch, turned everything off except the modeled guitar and the tuning, and?  Since you only hear the guitar, the warbles come through much clearer  :'(.  No need to explain that a GK-3 performs better, I know that....  Fired up my Electra with the built-in ATG, played my drop D 12, no issues. 

I personally like the GP10 models quite a bit, and there is a lot more in very good quality than the ATG has to offer.  I also like many of the effects in the box and agree with Cups that better and more flexible ins and outs (routing) would make it even more attractive.  What seems to separate me from many on the forum is that I like playing wireless, with the option to get out in the audience if I so desire, so the current state of 13-pin will never be totally satisfying for me as long as it has to be hardwired.  I have been swimming through the ocean of information regarding FTP here, and will be almost certainly pulling the trigger on that soon.  At the same time, I totally understand what forum member Smash is going through with his lean toward acoustic; for the kind of stuff I do, if I can't pull off a perfomance utterly without electronic assistance, I'm doing something wrong.  Yin-yang, what a wonderful privilege to have the option of going full-tilt either way  :)!

Many who need wireless opt for a guitar with internal DSP modeling (Line-6 Variax/ Roland VG Strat / Antares Luthier Kit ) and then output their mono wireless guitar signal into a SY-300 or laptop running Jam Origin MIDI Guitar , or use a Fishman Tripleplay wireless Guitar to MIDI system

Just know that all Guitar to MIDI systems will have more latency vs a direct DSP Modeling system (Line-6 Variax/ Roland VG Strat / Antares Luthier Kit ) or GK 13 connected VG-8/VG-88/VG-99/GP-10

carlb

Ken, it's so frustrating. So close, but still not there yet. Perhaps the string doubling might be too much for the GP-10's single processor when the alt-tuning is also deployed.

By the way, the ATG models sound a LOT better with a GK pickup instead of piezos. Acoustic models are very, very good, I'd say.

So for you, maybe:

GK -> ATG built-in -> Wireless -> GP-10 (1/4" input)

Can't get the nylon string patches with the above though. Dang!!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Majiken

Quote from:  carlb on January 03, 2018, 11:24:21 AM
So for you, maybe:
GK -> ATG built-in -> Wireless -> GP-10 (1/4" input)
Can't get the nylon string patches with the above though. Dang!!

Hey Carl, that's exactly what I've gone to, using this guitar: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19806.0
My wireless is the Xvive U2, cheap but works flawlessly, and the mini-receiver gives me an instantaneous plug & play solution for unexpected instruments when I do live mixing*.  Only caveat is that a charge holds max. 5 hours; sometimes I do 4-set solo gigs lasting that long and the lack of extra charge cuts it too close for comfort.

Quote from:  Elantric on January 03, 2018, 09:28:49 AM....and then output their mono wireless guitar signal into a SY-300 or laptop running Jam Origin MIDI Guitar , or use a Fishman Tripleplay wireless Guitar to MIDI system

Just know that all Guitar to MIDI systems will have more latency vs a direct DSP Modeling system (Line-6 Variax/ Roland VG Strat / Antares Luthier Kit ) or GK 13 connected VG-8/VG-88/VG-99/GP-10     

Aware of this, the GR55 synths didn't cut the mustard for me in this regard either, which is why I sold mine.  Deep-diving the forum it appears the FTP is better, whereby I certainly would not want to rely on it for everything; I am deep-diving the ocean of FTP info here and elsewhere to try and configure the lowest-latency system I can based on my humble budget before I pull the trigger.  Maybe it will allow me to at least recover the nylon, which I dearly miss on the ATG, as well as the sitar, which with the GP10 was a guaranteed head-turning gimmick.

This looks very attractive: http://www.riversongguitars.com/guitars/tradition-2p-ga-stage-tp/, but it appears to be probably too stiff for my current budget and is not (yet) readily available.  I am more likely to either get something built from scratch with my 2nd ATG luthier kit and an Evertune bridge; I am also looking at a poor man's modification of this: http://www.snap-dragon-guitars.co.uk/snap-dragon-traxe-solo-noir-38-p.asp (you can see the pickups are mounted on a removable scratch plate, if I can fit my ATG and the FTP in the space available that could work).

* I use the Midas MR18 for mixing these days, and it's GREAT and inexpensive, including 4 stereo FX paths and a lot of good FX (Carl, including the BBE).  Highly recommended! 
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Smash

I do wonder where some of these guys have been for the past 10 plus years!

BMapson

Quote from: Smash on March 08, 2019, 05:46:27 AM
I do wonder where some of these guys have been for the past 10 plus years!

No kidding. 

I quick search on this guitar shows it's no longer available (at least as far as I've searched).  It looks like they did a limited production run and that's it.