VG-99 - Rock Overdrive / Distortion Patch "Jam Like Per 2"

Started by aliensporebomb, December 25, 2016, 08:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

This is a rock or hard rock lead/rhythm guitar patch I put together that was somewhat reminscent of Per Haar's lead guitar patch from the GR-55 he did for his "How to use Set up the GR-55 and RC-300 as a Live Looping Setup" demo. 
I liked Per's attitude in his video and overall playing personality was cool too so it was inspiring to mess with a similar sound or to try and port that sound to the VG-99.

I used that sound as a sort of starting point and made it a bit creamier and warmer.  I use the volume control to start in a sort of clean to semi clean tone then max it out for big rock sounds.  So I'm riding the GK3 volume while using this patch quite a bit.

And then this demo I did was my white strat with GK2-A built in but I find that using my other guitar with the GK3 on the same patch produced a distinctly different sound, a slightly thinner SG-esque tone.  To my ears this is a Les Paul and big loud amp type tone particularly if you dig in.

I've got multiple variations of this patch I've used (the "under stars" video on my youtube channel is the same distortion tone but with some effects for a spacier overall tone).  I've got several versions with distinctly different EQ curves (some deliberately brighter, some more midrangy, some bassier) but this one seems to be most useful for various types of music. 

Give this one an audition and use it as a place for your own variations.

Enjoy!   More VG-99 patches to come since it's not like we'll be getting any more from Roland!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)