ATG - Some questions on the ATG

Started by Gearhead, January 02, 2016, 01:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearhead

I'm very interested in the ATG but I have a couple of questions.
The ATG has a GK out, does that mean I can go from the ATG to the Boss GP-10 and play both?
How wouls you rate the overall sound quality of the ATG?

Thanks and cheers,
Uli

Elantric

Yes you can play both

I think the Antares has Modeled guitars with higher dynamic range compared to Roland /Boss /Line-6

Gearhead

Thanks, man

DeRigueur

Does the ATG respond to the gk switches?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

Elantric

ATG-1 FLOOR - Yes
S1/S2 switches for ATG-1 Patch up/Down
GK Vol for ATG-1 Volume
But three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth" switch does nothing 
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/mediafiles/online_help_records/68_ATG-1_Floor_Processor_Manual_v3.10.pdf

drbill

Elantric (or anyone else with contacts with Antares),

Is this product just a hobby for them? That's fine if it is, I guess, but it would allow me to recalibrate my support expectations.

Is there any hope for them to update their craptastic support software? Since I loaned my Focusrite interface to my son, I have no way of connecting to the pedal. Their software won't work with the perfectly fine interfaces I have. That includes the M-Audio one I bought specifically for this purpose.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

vtgearhead

They know that the GUI app has issues and claim to be working on it.  I was quite annoyed to find out that it required > 800 pixel vertical resolution to display on Windows, which exceeded the size of the Thinkpad I carry around for parameter tweaking.  Managed to work around it by installing a virtual desktop top called GimeSpace, but I don't think I'm only one who complained.

I'm disappointed in general with the pace of their firmware development.  The acoustic models are magnificent, but the electrics?  Meh.  The "California Single Coil" (strat) is really not very good at all - worse than the Line6 Version 2.x firmware.  I found it unusable for any tones requiring vintage strat "squank".  The Roland GP-10 and Line6 1.9 firmware still top my list for "switch position 2" Strat tones.

Majiken

Bizarre- I only played an ATG-1 briefly, but I recall thinking they nailed the electrics pretty good; I know the P90 hit the nail square on the head vs. a Framus I have with the real thing... and no noise.... I mostly play solo without backing tracks, so acoustics are my prime target. That Strat position is one of my favs, so I'll dive into my GP10 tomorrow and swim electric models for awhile.  I did say before that I like the GP10s models and tones a lot, but for the stuff I do with a lot of alternate tunings and 12-string effects, the warbling on sustained notes and larger retunings is borderline on gig usability.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Majiken

Quote from: drbill on October 15, 2016, 10:06:07 AM
Is there any hope for them to update their craptastic support software? Since I loaned my Focusrite interface to my son, I have no way of connecting to the pedal. Their software won't work with the perfectly fine interfaces I have. That includes the M-Audio one I bought specifically for this purpose.

I am currently experiencing the same issue- got my new ATG luthier kit installed, just now plugged the midi from the guitar into an M-Audio Midisport Uno (the one interface they say works both ways), and nothing.... the software recognizes the midi interface, the green "USB" light is blinking, but the hookup between ATG and the guitar fails, neither the midi in nor midi out lights turn on :-(.  The wiring from the ATG board to the midi jack on the guitar is done exactly as described on pages 44 and 45 of the installation manual, and soldering is robust, so operator error in that spot is about 95% unlikely.  No other midi interfaces are installed at this time!

I went to the ATG site, their online support is belly-up, no info to be culled from the forum entries.... I will write Henrik for assistance, any ideas here would be appreciated!  Note that the system works fine in the guitar itself, it is just a matter of computer control and preset library functions.

Darn... hope this gets fixed soon! 
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

I know you must be logged into your Antares account to use either the ATG Settings Manager  or ATG Software Manager  - that was my battle
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/guitar-connect/atg_utility_applications.php

For internal kit, I use the Peavey AT-200 breakout box with a Roland UM-ONE MKII USB MIDI Interface with my Win8.1 Asus laptop

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/support/documentation-detail.php?help=Connecting_Your_ATG_Equipped_Guitar_Using_a_Peavey_AT-200B_Breakout_Box_48

• You must have created your account on the Auto-Tune for Guitar web site. If you have not yet done that, go do it now.

• Your computer must be running the Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8.  It can be either a Windows PC or a Macintosh running Windows via Bootcamp (learn more about Bootcamp here). Your browser must have Java 6.0 or later enabled. You can find a guide to installing and activating Java here.

• Note that you can use a computer other than your own to do the transfer, as the software will reside on the guitar you transfer it to. So if you don't have a computer running Windows, but you have a friend that does, simply connect your guitar to their computer, log into your account and transfer away.

• Many cheap MIDI interfaces will not work for this software transfer. You must use an interface whose manufacturer provides device-specific driver software which you must install on your computer. You can find a selection of interfaces we have tested and found to work here.

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/support/documentation-detail.php?help=MIDI_Interfaces_for_Connecting_Your_Guitar_to_Your_Computer_or_iPad_6

drbill

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2017, 09:27:15 AM

• Many cheap MIDI interfaces will not work for this software transfer. You must use an interface whose manufacturer provides device-specific driver software which you must install on your computer. You can find a selection of interfaces we have tested and found to work here.

... including my MOTU 828 mk3, which is neither "cheap" nor without a driver.

Their support software is utter crap and they should be embarrassed to have shipped it.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

vtgearhead

My $35 MidiSport 1x1 works fine - with Windows 7 at any rate. 

JamminJoe

"For internal kit, I use the Peavey AT-200 breakout box with a Roland UM-ONE MKII USB MIDI Interface with my Win8.1 Asus laptop"
Just an FYI ...

I recently got a killer deal on a NEW Peavey AT-200, at a pawn shop of all places. I purchased the AT-200 Complete Pack, and downloaded it using the UM-ONE MKII with zero issues.
I just got the Peavey breakbox, but have not used it yet.

I had a conversation with Henrik today at NAMM. Among other things, I joking ask him if there were any show specials on the Luthier Kit. He smiled and referred me here :-)
I'm embarrassed to say I had kind of forgotten about this forum, even though I created a login a long time ago. That won't happen again :-)
50% off ... um ... glad he mentioned this forum :-)
I'm going back tomorrow (Sat) with several more questions and suggestions, especially for the software, which I see some people are not that happy about. Whereas it's certainly not the VG99 software & GUI (still way ahead of its time), it could be a lot worse.
I'm going to be build (another) custom guitar with just the Antares electronics and pickup, like I did for the VG 88/99 (see my avatar)

Joe
Custom built (by me) 'VG Strat', only with GK3 pickup & electronics.
VG99
VG88
Peavey AT-200 w/Complete Pack.
Antares Luthier Kit (purch 01-22-0217).
Forthcoming custom built (by me) 'ATG Strat', with only ATG pickup & electronics.