Let's build the master of all Midi Footswicht Controller? With LCD'S and Arduino

Started by intergalatico, December 17, 2015, 02:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intergalatico

Hi Guys,

A lot of you probably know this beauty here:

I would love to have one, but the price scares me (and probably the most of you)

How about we build something like this?

I am aware about arduino and all the possibilities to send midi messages, control LCD displays and everything. So I did some research and I think with the Arduino Due would be possible to do it. On Ebay we found a lot of options for LCD's and I found a cheap one for about 4€ each!

My Idea was to have 2 rolls of 6 footswitches. 5 Patch changers (PC) and 5 Control changers (CC) each with a LCD that could display the text of the function AND background color (just like the mastermind). The other 2 footswitches are only for navegate through the banks and doesn't need a LCD. Maybe just a 2 digits display? And of course, 2 inputs for expression pedals.

I am very excited about the idea but unfortunately I don't have the Arduino skills... So I though I can find a brain here!  ;D Is there some crazy soul that will embrace the project and help me on that? The we can share with everyone who wants to build something like that.

I hope that this is possible!

Cheers!
Andre

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Intergalactico, maybe you could post your recent progress here...

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: intergalatico on December 17, 2015, 02:44:48 AM
Hi Guys,

I would love to have one, but the price scares me (and probably the most of you)

I am aware about arduino and all the possibilities to send midi messages, control LCD displays and everything. So I did some research and I think with the Arduino Due would be possible to do it. On Ebay we found a lot of options for LCD's and I found a cheap one for about 4€ each!

My Idea was to have 2 rolls of 6 footswitches. 5 Patch changers (PC) and 5 Control changers (CC) each with a LCD that could display the text of the function AND background color (just like the mastermind). The other 2 footswitches are only for navegate through the banks and doesn't need a LCD. Maybe just a 2 digits display? And of course, 2 inputs for expression pedals.

I am very excited about the idea but unfortunately I don't have the Arduino skills... So I though I can find a brain here!  ;D Is there some crazy soul that will embrace the project and help me on that? The we can share with everyone who wants to build something like that.

Cheers!
Andre

The price has always scared me too!  ;D  However, a short while ago I managed to buy an RJM MasterMind GT-16 at a price far lower than I could possibly build it for.  Score!!  It is a fantastic unit.

If it helps, I would be willing to provide some gut shots.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

sixeight

QuoteThe price has always scared me too!  ;D  However, a short while ago I managed to buy an RJM MasterMind GT-16 at a price far lower than I could possibly build it for.  Score!!  It is a fantastic unit.

Congratulations. It is great unit. I have looked at some of the programming demos.

QuoteIf it helps, I would be willing to provide some gut shots.

That would be great. I have been looking for them, but could not find them on the internet. It may spark some new ideas...

vanceg

I'm all for custom made, especially hommade controllers.  Gumtown already pointed out the VERY IMPRESSIVE V-Controller project that is underway.  It looks AMAZING to me. 
But I wanted to comment about price/cost:  In terms of sheer cost - including time and labor - one would likely be better off just dropping the money for a pre-designed, pre-built device like the Mastermind than designing and building your own. I mean, even if you earn $10/hour the Mastermind would "cost" you 120-180 hours of work.  Expensive to be sure.  But designing, programming and building a controller - even using the amazing tools that are out there now (like the Arduino) is going to take a bunch more time than that.  At least it would for me.

But - Perhaps I shouldn't even be bringing this point up:  I find it MUCH more exciting that people are building their own controllers than purchasing them from others.  There are many benefits of building our own... education/knowledge, sense of accomplishment, and getting "exactly what you wanted".

I'm just bringing it up because designing and building a useful piece of hardware is more time consuming than many seem to think at first.

Quote from: intergalatico on December 17, 2015, 02:44:48 AM
Hi Guys,

Cheers!
Andre

Elantric

QuoteThere are many benefits of building our own... education/knowledge, sense of accomplishment, and getting "exactly what you wanted".

learning to play guitar and discovering a personal passion for constant learning and practical DIY hands on experience in the pursuit of sound has a side benefit of providing you valuable marketable skills and remain employable

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

vanceg

AB-SO-Lutely!

I wanted to simply point out that cost, in terms of dollars or time to earn those dollars, is going to be lower to simply purchase a controller off the shelf.  VALUE to you in terms of education, accomplishment, will be much greater if you build it yourself.

Quote from: Elantric on February 27, 2016, 03:42:47 PM
learning to play guitar and discovering a personal passion for constant learning and practical DIY hands on experience in the pursuit of sound has a side benefit of providing you valuable marketable skills and remain employable

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

gumtown

The "MASTER OF ALL MIDI FOOTSWITCH CONTROLLERS" is also subjective,
like 'lets write the best song', everyone's opinion and requirements will be different.

I agree with the time spent developing,
if you equate your time spent to minimum wage jobs like flipping burgers at McDonalds, you are still better off buying something off the shelf with those proceeds.
And You get a consumer guarantee that it will work,
but it might not do exactly what you want, or be laid out how you like.
It is certainly a labour of love.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

GuitarBuilder

Here's a gut shot of the RJM MM GT-16:

Note the great layout and almost complete absence of traditional wiring!

sixeight

Excellent. Thanks a lot for the gut shot.

QuoteIt is certainly a labour of love.

For me developing the VController is a hobby. I am definately not counting the hours. The reward for me is the fun developing it and getting the occasional positive feedback on it. If you cannot enjoy the journey, then do not embark on it.

Playing guitar is also a hobby for me. I could buy a CD and get a better result, but I would miss out on all the fun!

vanceg

Quote from: sixeight on February 28, 2016, 12:46:44 AM

Playing guitar is also a hobby for me. I could buy a CD and get a better result, but I would miss out on all the fun!

Awesome quote.  Great parallel!

whippinpost91850

Couldn't agree with you more. :)
A prime example for me is the Kemper Remote. While I like most of its function I do not like it's layout. While I don't have the electronics and programming skills to build one myself, I do plane on trying to find a way to modify it Like I have modified  my GR55 for remote expression and control pedal.

intergalatico

So, its being a great adventure with a lot of frustration and success. But I didn't knew ANYTHING about programing and Arduino so I am learning everything from scratch. Yeah, if I put on the paper how many hours I am putting on this project for sure it is cheaper to buy one but I am doing on my free time and having a good time training my brain muscles! Besides, I would not spend more then 1000€ for a midi controller. I would rather buy a new guitar or something. I can't build a Gibson SG but a midi controller I can give a try! =)

Here is a video with what I archive so far:

I forgot to mention on the video that the MIDI functions are implemented. So, every patch button sends PC message and the Stomp buttons CC messages.
Now is time to spend MORE time with the front panel! (And more money!)

And about money:

Teensy 3.2: 25€
Digole Displays 5x 10€
Ebay Displays: 6x 5€
12x Foot Switches: 25€
Total: 130€

The expensive will be the front plate. Something like 80 - 100€

Cheers!

GuitarBuilder

sixeight

Great to see your progress. The large displays are very nice. Getting an enclosure built is a lot of work. Will you design it yourself, or have you found someone to do it for you...

I will have working firmware for the VController v2 soon. I will put it up as soon as the main bugs are ironed out.
It may be of use to you...

whippinpost91850