GP-10 - Can I Easily Change Capo or Guitar Model with the switches or controls?

Started by Steve-cc, September 14, 2015, 02:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-cc

I was thinking it might be nice to have a patch of a Virtual Acoustic Guitar and be able to use one of the switches or controls to move the V Capo. I could not figure out how.  Is it doable?

How about changing the Guitar model without bending over?

admin

Many factory GP-10 presets do accomplish all this - (review all the GP-10 Factory patch Control Assignments in the right 5 columns below)

Hint - "Capo" is often referred as "Alt Tune"

and open the preset in Boss Tone Studio and study the Control Assignments to learn how to incorporate these controls in your own patches

Control Assignments are a powerful tool in most Roland/ Boss gear

Learn more here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

Steve-cc

Glad to hear that it is doable.  I've been studying the charts and cant figure it out.  Would you point me to one patch that allows changing guitar type and one that allows changing of Capo position without bending over.  I'm sure if I can just study one or two Ill get it but it is all very new for me now. 
TIA

Cups

The DADGAD electric one switches from Lipstick to humbucker (a great way to get a "lead" tone BTW)
And one of the lead patches goes down a tone. I'll look to see which one.

Cups

admin

QuoteHow about changing the Guitar model without bending over?

Factory preset #57 "GB45 Basic" uses the GP-10's Expression pedal to Pan between Modeled Gibson J-45 Acoustic Guitar with clean amp and Normal Mag PU feeding a COSM tube amp

And review  / read the details for patches in the GP-10 User to User patch exchange - many employ multiple Control Assignments

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0

Steve-cc

Sorry if I am being dense but
I'm looking at the chart above at 31 and see Ctrl 2 as OD/DS On/Off.  Is the CAPO up down hiding somewhere?
Can I move CAPO up and down the neck with one of the foot switches or GK3 switches?

Elantric

Hint - on GP-10 , "Capo" is called "Alt Tune"

Patch #31 has CTL1 = "Alt Tune On/Off"

here are the possible "Alt Tune types  - and you can assign Alt Tune to the Expression pedal

Steve-cc

Ok - so if I have a patch of an Acoustic Guitar -  I can have Ctrl 1 turn on Alt Tuning Can I set it up so that +1 is the default Alt Tuning and then use a foot or GK3 switch to change to +3 then +5, then +1 etc.  Is that clearer?

gumtown

You can't use one pedal to do 3 stage changes,
but you can use one CTL pedal with an Assign to change (toggle) Alternate Tuning Type from +1 to +3,
and another CTL pedal + Assign to toggle Alternate Tuning Type from +1 to +5
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Redvers

I can't tell from the manual but maybe you can assign the alt tune steps to the gk volume or the expression pedal have it min 0 and max 5 steps or something?

Elantric

Steve-cc

I've been fooling around trying to do this with no luck.  Sounds like from the discussion above that it may not be possible?

Have an Acoustic Guitar in a patch with standard tuning - Hit Ctrl 1 say to switch to alt tuning and then be able to use another switch, pedal or control to move a  V Capo up or down the neck without bending over to do it on the box with the buttons and knob.

Hope I'm wrong and someone here knows how to do it.

Thanks

Litesnsirens

The theory has been put out there, but I don't think anyone has tried it yet.  That being that you would use the CTL to turn on the alt tune and then try to assign the expression pedal to graduate between a certain set of alt tunings ie; 0 in the heel position and +5 in the toe position. 

I'm at work so I can't try it but I would do it differently anyway.  I would create 3 identical acoustic patches and have them all in a row.  Then make the following adjustments to each patch.  Name the first one "Acoustic 0 / +1" name the second one "Acoustic +2 / +3" and the third one "Acoustic +4 / +5". 

"Acoustic 0 / +1" would be open and capo first fret with the CTRL 1 (or 2) on.  And so on with the other two patches so that you have 6 capo positions within 3 patches.

There are a couple of reasons for this, first of all it would just be easier to find exactly what you want.  Secondly if you haven't noticed yet the acoustic will start to sound more bright and brittle as you apply these virtual capos further up the virtual neck.  To compensate you may want to adjust the tone and/or body settings.  You should be able to find a happy medium between two settings that are only one virtual fret apart but I doubt you could go from open to +5 without needing some adjustment.  For me 2 virtual frets and I'm wanting to make some tone adjustments.

Elantric

+1

Litesnsirens wrote>
QuoteI would create 3 identical acoustic patches and have them all in a row.  Then make the following adjustments to each patch.  Name the first one "Acoustic 0 / +1" name the second one "Acoustic +2 / +3" and the third one "Acoustic +4 / +5". 

"Acoustic 0 / +1" would be open and capo first fret with the CTRL 1 (or 2) on.  And so on with the other two patches so that you have 6 capo positions within 3 patches.

There are a couple of reasons for this, first of all it would just be easier to find exactly what you want.  Secondly if you haven't noticed yet the acoustic will start to sound more bright and brittle as you apply these virtual capos further up the virtual neck.  To compensate you may want to adjust the tone and/or body settings.  You should be able to find a happy medium between two settings that are only one virtual fret apart but I doubt you could go from open to +5 without needing some adjustment.  For me 2 virtual frets and I'm wanting to make some tone adjustments.

Litesnsirens solution above is ideal because the GP-10 patch to patch change time is extremely rapid with no audio mutes or drop outs ( unlike competing products)
http://line6.com/support/topic/13511-time-between-preset-swtiching-unbearable/

kickaxe

Hi, I know this post is a bit dated but in case it can still help... I just purchased a GP-10 not long ago and, responding to the OP, I have achieved the Capo part of the question by doing the following (if you don't already have Boss Tone Studio for GP-10, I recommend you download it from the Roland site and install it.  It will make your like sooo much easier!):

1. For your given patch, you will need to set up one of the CTL buttons to turn ALT-TUNE ON/OFF. Go to the CTL/GK/EXP page in Tone Studio and pick one of the CTL buttons (don't pick 3 or 4 if you don't have switches to control those!) and set the "System Func" to "PATCH SETTING" and "Patch Func" to "ALT-TUNE ON/OFF" and "CTL Mode" to "Toggle".

2. I sacrificed the GK Volume dial on the GK3 unit in order to be able to use it as my "movable capo".  You can also use the expression pedal to accomplish this but I prefer to keep it available to control patch volume or wah, and thus rarely use the GK Volume anyway.  Note that in order to free up the GKVOL, you need to go to the CTL/GK/EXP page and set the GKVOL "System Function" parameter to "PATCH SETTING", and set the "Patch Func" parameter to "OFF". From my experience, using the CTL1-4 or GKSW1-2 buttons don't work as efficiently, as they are only able to toggle two tunings (ON is one, OFF the another.)  So if you want a bunch of Capos set up with the CTL1-4 and/or GKSW1-2 toggles, you lose out on valuable switches to control other parameters.

3. Next go to the Assign page in Tone Studio, create an Assign event (click the "ON" button) and make the "Target Category" = "ALT-TUNE", the "Target" = "Type", "Target Min" and "Target Max" is the range of Alt-Tunings you want on your dial.  Note that selecting the first entry from "Target Min" drop down list and the last entry from the "Target Max" drop down list will give you access to ALL alt-tunings on your GKVOL dial but I don't really recommend that, especially if you're playing in a live setting because it could be a problem to identify the tuning you're looking for. Now  if you have a laptop connected next to you and Tone Studio is loaded, you can just go to the ALT TUNE page and view the different tunings in real-time as you rotate the dial.  Note that the alt tunings come up SEQUENTIALLY when you rotate the dial starting from the min and up to the max tuning identified in the min/max drop down list.  Also, there is no normal tuning (Capo 0) in the min/max list but you can easily get to that by toggling ALT-TUNE ON/OFF with the CTL button you assigned under Step 1 above. To engage your GKVOL so that it can control your Capo position, turn ALT-TUNE ON and to return to normal tuning, set it to OFF.

As an example, here is how I have one of my acoustic patches set up.  Note that I've added a couple of FS5 switches that open up the CTL3 and 4 switches for me.

I have CTL-1 to toggle ALT-TUNE ON/OFF (Step 1 above), and my GKVOL Assign (Step 3 above) to control the Capo from -3 to +3, which is a nice manageable range (you can do the same with a range of open tunings too but remember, they are only available sequentially as they appear in the drop-down list.)  I also have CTL-2 to turn Chorus ON/OFF and CTL-3 to turn Reverb ON/OFF and CTL-4 to turn 12 String modeling ON/OFF. So as you can see, there is quite a bit of flexibility on this one patch alone.

The more I delve into this thing, the more I'm liking it!  I'm going to see if I can do this with my older VG-88 too.  It also has some alt-tuning possibilities as well as assigns but I've never before explored that on the VG-88.  I may just have to dust it off and try it although the acoustic and 12 string patches are much better on the GP-10 IMHO.  I can however, get some very good rock tones on the VG-88.

I hope this answers your Capo part of the question.  As far as switching different models, the Assign page is your friend.  You can do so much using one single CTL button, let alone 3 or 4 of them!