iPad PRO (USB-C) Music rigs

Started by Elantric, September 02, 2015, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/02/ipad-pro-sep-9-ipad-mini-4-november/

The "iPad Pro" (which is actually the planned name of the device) is currently scheduled to hit retail outlets in November, following a pre-order campaign that will launch toward the end of October, sources indicate. While whispers within Apple point to the MacBook-sized tablet making its debut on next week's stage, it is possible that Apple could still hold back the larger iPad for an early October event given the currently planned November ship date. Following recent announcements of Apple iOS enterprise collaborations with Cisco and IBM, sufficient component availability to meet anticipated year-end demand appears to be the only question mark at this point.

Nonetheless, the Bill Graham auditorium (pictured above) is a massive 7000-seat building, and sources suggest that it was deliberately chosen to reflect the event's scope. They have said that next week's event will include an "unprecedented" blitz of product introductions, even potentially outmatching last year's iPhone 6, Apple Watch, and Apple Pay keynote at the Flint Center in Cupertino. If the iPad Pro is indeed shown off next week, sources indicate that the new iPad mini 4 will also be introduced alongisde it. A third version of the iPad Air is also in the works, but sources confirm that it won't be released until 2016. New Macs are also unlikely to appear next week.

The iPad mini 4 will be a thinner version of the current iPad mini, including a faster A8 chip with support for split-screen apps first introduced in iOS 9. It will likely also include a pair of upgraded cameras. As for the iPad Pro, codenamed J98/J99 internally, the larger-sized tablet will be geared toward power users and run iOS 9.1, support a Force Touch-based stylus, and include speakers on two sides for a more pronounced stereo effect. The new iOS 9.1 operating system is said to bring additional tweaks to the iPad Pro, including optimized versions of the Siri and Notification Center interfaces. If Apple does indeed unveil the new iPads next week, another Apple event this fall can be ruled out.

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/09/01/will-apples-rumored-ipad-pro-feature-a-wide-gamut-aka-hdr-display/
Will Apple's Rumored iPad Pro Feature a Wide Gamut (aka HDR) Display?
SEPTEMBER 1, 2015 BY ERIC REAGAN LEAVE A COMMENT

Tweet
Pin
Mail
Apple Wide Gamut Display Patents

One of the big rumors for Apple over the past couple of years has been about an iPad Pro model. The rumors and leaks are well documented and Apple's faithful fanboys expect it feature a 12.9″ display – as compared to the 9.7″ iPad Air 2 display.

I have a terrible pastime of reading patent applications on the weekends and I happened to notice several published applications from last week indicating that Apple is sorting out both server-side processing and device-level processing of HDR or wide gamut video and images, along with the backward compatibility.

Apple Wide Gamut Display Patents Flow Chart

Wide gamut displays provide a much wider range of colors than what is available from sRGB displays, which makes up the overwhelming majority of consumer displays in today's devices.

I haven't parsed out all the details of the five different patent applications filed between September 2014 and February 2015 but, at first glance, it smells like Apple is sorting out how to handle content delivery (content being media, apps and everything else that shows up on an iOS device) for standard gamut and wide gamut displays (i.e., old and new iPads, ahem, the iPad Pro).

Apple Wide Gamut Display Patents Diagram

Aside from the patent applications, it makes sense when you think about how you differentiate "Pro" in a market full of handheld devices (many of which have already beat you to the punch with 4K screen resolutions). One of the big rumors or speculations attached to the iPad Pro was a 4K display. With no hard evidence of leaks relating to 4K in the rumored iPad Pro, perhaps that's not really the big deal is going to be about in the iPad Pro's display.

NEC PA272 Wide Gamut DIsplay
NEC PA272 Wide Gamut DIsplay
Wide gamut displays are decidedly a "pro" device, which 4K is becoming more and more mainstream. I don't want to strain this definition of "pro" too far but it is a distinction worth noting.

I may be reading too far between the lines and may update this with additional thoughts after I process through all these patent applications, but maybe it's time we moved beyond a world of sRGB and into a wider range of more life-like colors. We spend so much time in front of screens these days, so wouldn't it be nice to see more realistic colors and images?

And wouldn't it just be very Apple-like if they were the ones to bring us out of the sRGB color-space computing world and into a next generation of computer imaging?

The iPad Pro is rumored to be announced in October at a special Apple event. Before we get there though, we have an Apple event for the iPhone 6S (we think) coming up on September 9.

If you want to chime in with your thoughts or speculations, you can read the full patent applications below.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/277358431/Apple-Patent-Application-Pat-20150245050

Elantric

iPad Pro 12" is the tool for Auria Pro IOS DAW

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13176

Elantric

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/07/ipad-pro-specs/

iPad Pro: 'Monster screen' runs full-sized side-by-side apps, LTE models, keyboard + stylus separate
Mark Gurman - 1 day ago  @markgurman

Alongside the new iPhones, new Apple TV, new Apple Watch bands, and a gold anodized version of the Apple Watch Sport, Apple plans to debut a pair of new iPads on Wednesday: the larger iPad Pro and a new iPad mini. Since our report last week that the iPad Pro would be unveiled at this event, we've gathered a few more details about the device from several sources who have either used the iPad Pro or are familiar with the product.

Unlike earlier iPads, which have started at 16GB of capacity and been designed to appeal in both pricing and size to the masses, even the base model iPad Pro will have features fitting its name. We're also hearing that it's coming a little later than originally expected, but will still make it out by year's end...

First, we understand that production of the new tablet is running slightly behind schedule. While Apple still plans to announce the device this week, open up pre-orders in October, and begin shipping in November, we understand that the first shipments may fall towards the end of November. Even then, it seems likely that the device will experience initial supply constraints, despite a higher set of price tags than existing iPad models.

We've also learned that the base model of iPad Pro will likely ship with 64GB of storage, which is substantially more space than the 16GB base models of the iPad Air and iPad mini lines. Apple will also sell a pricier 128GB model. The device will run iOS 9.1, the first full point release to iOS 9. While the new iPhones will come in an additional Rose Gold color, we're told that the iPad Pro is likely to ship in the prior Gold, Silver, and Space Grey variations to start.

As with the iPad Air and Mini lines, the Pro will be available with built-in LTE capabilities. We're told that the pricing of the highest-end iPad Pro versions with LTE chips will compare closely to Apple's latest MacBooks. As the iPad Pro will support a new Apple-designed Bluetooth keyboard, customers may have a tough choice in the $1,000+ price range when looking for either a large-sized iPad or small-sized MacBook.

Speaking of the larger screen, we have been told that the 12.9-inch display is a "monster." To give it truly "Pro" capabilities, the iPad Pro's landscape split-screen mode will be bolstered to allow two full-sized portrait iPad apps to be displayed. This is unlike the split-screen mode on the iPad Air 2 and upcoming iPad mini 4 that condenses portrait iPad apps to fit side-by-side in landscape mode. The iPad Pro will include an A9X chip, which we've heard will be a "large" leap over the Air 2's A8X. It will also have four stereo speakers, but a single Lightning port on the bottom.

Lastly, we're told that Apple has decided not to bundle the iPad Pro with either the new Force Touch-integrated iPad stylus or keyboard. These accessories will be sold separately. We're told Apple has developed two versions of an iPad Pro keyboard attachment: one that doubles as a case and another that is more similar to the Apple Wireless Keyboard it has previously sold for Macs and iPads. It remains to be seen whether Apple announces one or both on Wednesday. Apple will also sell its usual portfolio of Smart Covers and Smart Cases that are tweaked for the larger iPad.

mbenigni

So based on that summary, it looks like rumors of USB on the iPad Pro were unfounded.  :/

admin

The good news is the Focusrite iTrack Dock is already compatible with the iPad Pro 12"

Its lightning plug is on a sliding mechanism and it moves up and down to work with iPad mini iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro

whippinpost91850

I guess we'll find out soon about pricing. Funny none of the newscasts are talking about this at all, only about new iPhones and Apple TV

Elantric

I heard $800 for 32GB and $1080 for 128GB with Cellular

Which at first seems too much $$ for an iPad - but the argument to buy is pushed by my large investment in IOS apps that all will benefit from the larger 12" Display form factor and more powerful CPU and more RAM.

But I may wait for next years model - Apple is notorious for finally getting things right with the 2nd generation model, and that will not be out until October-November 2016

whippinpost91850

You're probably right on waiting for 2nd generation. But even for setlist manager the size would make a huge difference on this old man's eyes.

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 09, 2015, 08:17:26 AM
I guess we'll find out soon about pricing. Funny none of the newscasts are talking about this at all, only about new iPhones and Apple TV

And those silly watches.  I never liked watches in the first place.  Best thing about the smartphone was having the time in my pocket and my wrists bare as god intended.  :)

Elantric

Elantric

QuoteFunny none of the newscasts are talking about this at all, only about new iPhones and Apple TV

I seek my info elsewhere
http://www.theregister.co.uk/hardware/

http://9to5mac.com/

QuoteAnd those silly watches.  I never liked watches in the first place.  Best thing about the smartphone was having the time in my pocket and my wrists bare as god intended.

I had a bad experience back in 1979 repairing a Tube Amp while wearing a watch - the metal wristband got too close to the B+ 600VDC power rail and nearly arc welded itself to a tube socket   

So I have not worn a watch since then -and ever since  I got my first PDA, I have not missed it

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on September 09, 2015, 08:42:38 AM
And those silly watches.  I never liked watches in the first place.  Best thing about the smartphone was having the time in my pocket and my wrists bare as god intended.  :)
;D

admin

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/liveblog-apples-iphone-6s-special-event-128570319974.html

The iPad Pro will be "available in November."
$800, $950, and $1080 for the three iPad Pro configs

$800 =  32gig,

$950 = 128gig,

$1080  = 128gig with cellular.

whippinpost91850

vxboogie

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 09, 2015, 08:39:22 AM
You're probably right on waiting for 2nd generation. But even for setlist manager the size would make a huge difference on this old man's eyes.
That's why I've been waiting for this as well. The larger size makes it about the size of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Elantric

Apple Byte - All the things Apple didn't tell you about the iPhone 6S, iPad Pro and Apple TV

Elantric

Codeseven

Now that the Pro is available with it's apparent fast A(X GPU, screaming graphics, 4Gb ram and USB 3.0 connectivity, is anyone currently using one? What is your experience with it? Do your apps behave faster/better? Can you Dock it with any current devices? Would you recommend it?

I think this early on it could appear to be 'just' a bigger, more powerful iPad with some cool features. But, in reality, this beast is poised to become something different. Once it's OS (iOS) and apps catch up to it's powerful hardware the Pro's intended place in the future of computing will become apparent.

RS

I am trying one now and I find it quite interesting. I would NOT recommend it for any general purpose over what you now use because it can be over-expensive and I think it requires additional OS change and the app software needs to catch up to it.... and, because I find that I'm interacting very differently with it than I would my Mac computer and even my iPad Air 2.  I am thinking this is not a computer replacement as we use computers now.  But, I also think this is not a simple tablet replacement or upgrade either. Eyesight-wise, it is still 264ppi, just like the iPad Airs. I doubt one would actually notice a speed difference between it and the iPad Airs as such. This device would naturally need more power to drive the larger screen and support its hardware resources. However, you WOULD see your graphic and game software function great.

If you have plenty of cash you can spend on such things, then do try it.  I would recommend NOT getting a keyboard or any other cover. Keep this tablet light and simple. The pencil is really great--if you need a pointer, precision selecting, or are a graphic artist who also illustrates. It is the best I've ever tried. Otherwise, don't bother getting it.

I'm finding this to be a desk or lap device that really is not intended for the kind of mobility of the iPad Airs even though it is mobile. Also, I am increasingly using BOTH hands simultaneously with it and I keep bouncing between apps while also using the split screens. Though you can use it with one hand, I'd say you ought to think of this as a two-handed device.

whippinpost91850

I'm hoping to get a pro soon, but as with all Apple new products, 2nd generation often cleans up some issues. So I may wait till then

RS

I will be returning the iPad Pro in a couple of days. It will not perform the specific functions I wanted to test significantly better than my Air 2 and an Apple Pencil has not been available anywhere around Seattle for me to test that aspect properly. I understand it won't be available for 4+ weeks, at minimum. I did test the Pencil at the Apple Store; but, I need to use it a few days while performing my usual work to insure whether it would make a marked difference for me or not.

I reiterate that my experience with it has been VERY interesting and I do see a future where I would definitely derive benefits to me that are worth more than its cost. I now better understand this iPad and in a new light that would have escaped me had I not tried it out. I was surprised by it.

Essentially, though I could rationalize and use it--certainly I can afford it--it's just not ready for my purposes and I think it may take another year or two for it to accomplish what I need.

I think a gamer or an illustrative or precision (think AutoCAD) artist would LOVE this iPad today and not look back.

Elantric

There is only one application Id use this for
Auria Pro DAW

http://www.palmsounds.net/2015/01/new-pictures-of-auria-pro-coming-this.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fVZSrk12M-Y/VLY8oPeKDfI/AAAAAAAAbMw/b3toX58vhZo/s1600/IMG_5038.jpg

But at this hour a used 2013 era Macbook running OSX 10.9 + Apple Logic remains a more powerful ( and more affordable) tool for music creation than a 2015 iPad Pro IMHO