GR-55- Separate guitar out with effects (sort of)

Started by JolietJake, March 25, 2015, 08:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JolietJake

I've discovered a "trick" which may be useful to someone.

For one of the bands I play with they wanted me to use a stage amplifier for electric guitar sounds and use the PA for acoustic and PCM tones. That's easy of course. Except everyone knows the guitar-out does not sound particularly good and you cannot have any effect on it (I don't want to buy and start carrying pedals for practice with one part time band).

The solution I had was to ditch the guitar-out and instead use the normal L+R out with the L-output connected to the Guitar amp and the R-output connected to the PA. In order to get this to work I have created a group of patches that are panned over hard left for all my electric guitar sounds and panned over hard right for acoustic guitar sounds and PCM tones.

There is a few provisos with this method.

Firstly as you will obviously gather both channels are now in glorious mono. Not a problem for the guitar amp as that was obviously always mono. However anything through the PA will now also be mono. It may be an issue for some people but in this instance for convenience I was fine with it.

Secondly you can only select 1 effect from the MOD section and 1 effect from the MFX section. Still this can give you a combination of 2 effects which you can't get from the guitar-out jack (I usually use delay and/or chorus) because:
You cannot use the normal DLY, REV, CHO sections as these are stereo effect and when you enable them you will hear the effect (but not the original guitar sound) in the other channel.

On the plus side you can now opt to send modelling guitar sounds, real guitar sound, Amp modelling and a choice of 2 effects to a guitar amp. Also as a bonus If you switch all these effects off and just send the clean guitar through the Left channel I think it actually sounds better than the normal guitar-out jack IMHO.

Anyway, to do it:

1. Create a new patch and change the structure to as shown.

2. Create the sound as normal using guitar modelling or pickups, amp modelling, MOD effect, MFX effect and EQ section if required.
(Ensure the DLY, REV, CHO sections are disabled)

3. When happy with your sound go to the MOD and MFX sections and pan them to L50 (max left hand pan).
(for sounds going to the other channel/PA pan them to R50)

Now when a L + R cable are plugged into the GR-55 (and only when they are both in) you will get guitar sounds with effects out of one jack and PCM tones out of the other.

Hopefully this might be of some use to someone else too.

DreamTheory

clever, could be useful in recording too- makes it possible to punch in and fix bad PCM triggers while leaving a well played simultaneous guitar part unedited.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

viramundo

The set up I'm currently using is this.

I have an jack output straight from the guitar for the nylon sound. The mod sound from the GR55 (in this case the bass sounds on the 5th & 6th string routing out of the Guitar Out jack on the the GR55. I find for this the guitar out sounds fine, although I have to process the Bass sound quite a bit to get it sounding how I want. The PCM synth sounds come out of the stereo output of the GR55. In this way all the different sounds can be individually processed, for example putting some compression on the bass helps getting it more even. I've just recorded a CD using this technique. All the sounds other than drums, percussion & voices were played on the GR55, at one time with no overdubs apart from cleaning up a few false triggers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJ86pzqq-g&feature=youtube

jcifuentes

wow, impressed with chops and sounds. Where are you guys located?. Would love to gig w u. I'm NJ...
Best, Jaime

Elantric

QuoteWhere are you guys located?.

I understand Paul is in London, England
http://www.paulrumbol.com/sambossa.html