Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller (User Experience)

Started by vablows, January 25, 2015, 10:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratrat

The real killer tech behind the FTP is Andras Szalay's pitch detection method (also used by the Axon), which blows Roland's zero crossing method out of the water. With the demise of the Axon, I had hoped Roland would license the tech (and I'm surprised no-one has thought to apply it to pitch shifting yet), but Fishman did instead.

I suppose my frustration with the current crop of MIDIguitar hardware (from all manufacturers) is in some ways things are better, simpler to use, but in many ways they have moved away from many features that were IMO better, more flexible (if a fair bit more complex) and more conducive to being creative.

Doubly galling for me is that between them and, with current tech capabilities, a near ideal device is possible. But each is releasing a slew of half-baked devices that are as frustrating as they are amazing.

Elantric

kenact

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Stratcat52

I would also be interested in a group buy. And I would think the sooner one could be arranged the better as peoples are going to want these as soon as they are available. I know I will. And then I'd be disappointed if a group buy was organized after I'd already made a purchase.

Elantric

Its a such a low cost already, that its doubtful the Group Buy would be any different than waiting for mid September 2015,  calling Zzounds or AMS , ask for the lowest non advertised price and placing an order. That always works for me   

Quotepeople are going to want these as soon as they are available.

Not based upon the feedback in this thread

QuoteI think I'll wait for the model where it's easier to step on a button than the FTP receiver...

http://www.kraftmusic.com/fishman-tripleplay-fc-1-floor-controller-cable-kit.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=fis-protrpfc1ck&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgLGuBRCqptLsnJCvh-wBEiQAiNRjsSo5uzYOdEeSYQlv8J072FniW0cZzkDOjcYDT-m23g0aAlhZ8P8HAQ

Stratcat52

Stratcat52

I still have not been able to use my TP with the included software. After contacting TP Support and going through 2 remote sessions with the tech guy, my TP software still does not load all the NI sounds and some of the sampletank sounds either, besides it often freezing/crashing.
My main hope in still loving the TP is that it will work well with my Yamaha PSR S950
sounds. Am so looking forward the release of this FC1.

Elantric

QuoteAm so looking forward the release of this FC1.

I typically just connect the FTP receiver to an iPad+CCK, or Focusrite iTrack.

When I want to trigger hardware synths via 5 pin MIDI , I use my old 1st gen iConnectMIDI or iConnectMIDi4+

Stratcat52

Im new to the whole midi guitar thing and don't own a focusrite or any other hardware to use as an interface between TP and my workstation.
As for IOS. I have a number of synth apps, Magellan, Korgs IM1, Garageband etc etc,
But with IOS I don't think there is a way to load the patch order into the TP software/and thereby the controller, for fast easy stage recall.
I hope to be able to do just that with the FC1 and my arranger keys/synth.
This probably isn't the best thread to be posting all this however. So I apologize for that.

Stratcat52

Elantric

I own that KMI MIDI Expander - - no it will not work.

Only the ones listed in the FTP FAQ work

* Fishman FC-1
* iConnectMIDi4+
* iConnectMIDI
* Kenton USB Host to MIDI
* Raspberry Pi + USB Class compliant MIDI Cable

Stratcat52

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked. I knew the info probably was posted elsewhere but I just haven't had the time for the research.
You do an awesome job as admin. Keeping things going and alway responding. It is much appreciated by all I am sure.
Have a great Labor Day weekend.
Ps. Any idea yet when fc1 will actually be availaBle?

Elantric

October 2015.

But requires adding a short USB Extension cable to prevent stepping on the $80 FTP USB Receiver middle of first gig. 

I guess Larry is looking forward to this new revenue stream

Stratcat52

What about Kraft Music still stating Sept 10th?
In fact since my last questioning post I've actually talked to Kraft and they still expect arrival on Sept 10th
Kraft is actually not too far from me and I was calling to see if it could be picked up rather than shipped.
They are about 40 minutes from me.
And they include those free cables
But I still need to research those other options you linked to.

musicamex

It is surprising that a company that has homerun ideas doesn't consult their potential market to implement them to make them really functional and useful.  It is like having a full pizza kitchen and only putting Velveta on wonder bread on the menu.  IMHO, anyone who doesn't take free advice from people like Elantric are pissing into the wind.  And a site like this is a free goldmine for a developer.  I don't  get it.  I would be on something like this pedal in a heartbeat, even if it cost more, if it exploited its potential.

Stratcat52

^^agree 100%^^
If the pedal is delayed I hope it is due to them listening and altering the design before releasing it

musicamex

That would be a pleasant surprise stratcat.  Counter productive re inital engineering costs, but like my dad used to say "too schmart to late".  At least they might put a littlr football helmet over the usb reciever.

Im still unclear on how the patches (list) fom the hardware synth reside on the ftp onboard guitar unit.  Any further info on that part.

As always with this v guitar world new gear, bought the ftp, battled to get it semi work, got a new hot rod laptop, and "JUST WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GET INTO THE WATER..........."

Stratcat52

Well musicamex, I watched one video, the one from NAMM show on the FC1 and the demo showed him switching patches on a synth module of some make or other using the FC1. I think using the TP software on PC, and having any hardware also connected to PC, the TP can find it and you can then setup a playlist just like you can with the vst's. They can then be saved within the TP controller or the FC1?
That is my hope. However I have not got that far yet due to an uncooperative PC/software installation.
Still unresolved

Stratcat52

Still have not heard anything about availability. Sigh.
I am impatient and hate all this waiting lol

kenact

Quote from: Stratcat52 on October 09, 2015, 01:46:59 PM
Still have not heard anything about availability. Sigh.
I am impatient and hate all this waiting lol

When was the last time a manufacturer started shipping a product when they said they would?  ???
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

BBach

My Sweetwater rep called today to inform me that the FC-1 I had pre-ordered would not ship until around Nov 1st.

Leketa

Quote from: musicamex on September 04, 2015, 09:26:51 AM

Im still unclear on how the patches (list) fom the hardware synth reside on the ftp onboard guitar unit.  Any further info on that part.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you can set up Hardware Synth patches within the Tripleplay software...You edit the parameters, pgm changes etc and save it as a User Patch. At the bottom of the patch window you then press "Load Controller" and it sends those patches and parameters to the Controller. ( the onboard guitar unit.) You then can boot your controller in hardware mode, and use it with your external synth. So the hardware synth patches themselves are not being stored- just the parameters you set...

braccio

So, I noticed that they had these units for sale on http://www.hellomusic.com/products/tripleplay-fc-1-controller with the option of "Make and Offer". I threw out a low ball offer of $150, they came back with $170, and I just clicked through and bought one.

They have it listed as shipping in 24 to 72 hours. We shall see.

Pete

vablows

From my understanding, though, there is no way to change the hardware patches loaded on the FTP in a live setting, though, without flying blind right?