Laying sounds on the Axon AX100?

Started by gearhound22, August 21, 2022, 08:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhound22

Hi all,

I noticed with the Axon you can have 4 layers.....does that mean you can have 4 sounds running simultaneously?
I found I could have two using the hold and setting it to layer, but if I add 4 layers and use 4 different sounds it doesn't work....does this have to be for splits only or can I use the whole fretboard with 4 sounds?

"Layering mode allows you to choose a second patch as a layer sound so that when you press the hold pedal, the second sound is layered on top of your existing sound. Of course, sometimes you just want the pedal to behave as a normal hold pedal to sustain notes, and it can do that too. One mode I couldn't find (which I find useful on my Roland GR33 guitar synth), is the ability to hold only those strings currently sounding and to continue playing on the remaining strings."

gearhound22

SOLVED

So with some messing tonight I found that when you add layers you just have to switch midi channels for that layer.
So layer or sound 1 set to 1 on CHANNEL
layer or sound 2 set to 2 on CHANNEL

So you can layer up to 4 internal Axon sounds it seems on the whole fretboard together .....not a whole lot of tweakabilty going on with the individual sounds but throwing a few together yielded some good results!

Hope this helps someone else :)

admin

If your Axon has the Yamaha DG50 waveblaster card-there are Yamaha and  third party "XG Editor" apps to edit each of the voices 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15863.0#msg113563

https://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/xgworks1.html

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on August 31, 2022, 06:12:27 AMIf your Axon has the Yamaha DG50 waveblaster card-there are Yamaha and  third party "XG Editor" apps to edit each of the voices 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15863.0#msg113563

https://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/xgworks1.html

Wow thanks for the tip!

I'm actually finding building patches with layers I'm getting some good sounds which brings it a little closer to the Roland gear, did you think there was a big quality difference between the Gr-33/55 and the Axon sounds?

I looked thru the preset list in the manual and I'm surprised not one patch seems to have two layers at the same time!!! Unless its an existing GM sound ie Piano and Strings.

arkieboy

Quote from: gearhound22 on August 31, 2022, 05:47:30 PMdid you think there was a big quality difference between the Gr-33/55 and the Axon sounds?
I think if you're just using the internal sound card you're never going to extract the full potential from the unit.  As plug-and-play goes, the Roland units have it nailed really.

OTOH if you use a suitable external synth you can eclipse anything you get from the 33/55.  Plenty of threads about suitable stuff you can pick up from eBay or reverb for not much money if you're interested.

I used to run a Supernova IIR, a EMu Ultra E5000 and a Wavestation SR from mine.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gearhound22

Quote from: arkieboy on September 07, 2022, 03:01:09 AMI think if you're just using the internal sound card you're never going to extract the full potential from the unit.  As plug-and-play goes, the Roland units have it nailed really.

OTOH if you use a suitable external synth you can eclipse anything you get from the 33/55.  Plenty of threads about suitable stuff you can pick up from eBay or reverb for not much money if you're interested.

I used to run a Supernova IIR, a EMu Ultra E5000 and a Wavestation SR from mine.

oh 100% I used a motif rack and kodamo with mine or vsts. I was just building a more lofi rig ...I might even use the roland gr33 with it yet :)