Boss GP-10 Reviews

Started by myksara, June 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Quote from: alexmcginness on March 29, 2017, 10:39:48 AM
That I did not know!  Im breathin a bit easier right now because of that. Thanks.

Happy to be useful! :-)
That changed my life too. I could not believe that you have to scroll through all parameters...I discover it by accident or I read it here on the forum, forgot about it but my unconscious brain somewhat remembered it! :-) ;)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

sixeight

QuoteI tried to do a quick patch volume adjustment in the GP 10 yesterday and WOW the number of button pushes to get to that parameter was astronomical compared to the VG 99's dedicated knob for that function.

Fastest way:
Press arrow-right button three times and you can change patch volume. Only works when you are not in edit mode.

pasha811

Quote from: sixeight on March 30, 2017, 02:44:08 AM
Fastest way:
Press arrow-right button three times and you can change patch volume. Only works when you are not in edit mode.

Cool! :-) Thanks!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

alexmcginness

Quote from: sixeight on March 30, 2017, 02:44:08 AM
Fastest way:

I discovered that by accident. Thanks.

After another HarBal session Ive managed to replicate all of my VG-99 patches into the GP-10 to the point that when a/b the 99 with the GP 10 using a US 20 Im hearing "virtually" no difference. The slight difference is in the dynamics of the two units. Im finding that on my two over driven lead patches I have to dig slightly harder for the GP 10 to duplicate the sound in the 99. It is such a small variance that its a non issue.
   So, the 99 will not be travelling with me this time. The GP 10 and a MIDX 10 will be the replacement. I put the patches into the GP 10 at the same patch number location as my VG-99 so its the same pedal hits on the FC-50 to do the patch changes. Im a happy camper. Im worried about this new laptop ban that may be implemented on all airlines and if I have to put a guitar processor into my luggage I would rather it was the GP 10 than the plastic and more fragile VG 99.
   Ill still use the 99 for local gigs but for airline travel its the GP 10.
  Looks like Im a convert after all.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Peter the GR-eat...

Played live with the GP-10 for the first time last week! Ok live might be pushing it a bit. Maybe in front of other people is a better description.
I was a friends  birthday and we had arranged a so that the guest could come to rehearsal studio close to the party. Me and 5 friend played covers of the birthday-boys favorite songs. I went straight i to the PA no monitors and, It was scary!

We had rehearsed and i sounded good. My GP-10 2 vocals and a synth was in the PA and levels were even But with wouldn't you know ;) with 40 people in the room the I could barley hear myself sometimes,. rased the volume, but when changing path it got LOUD.

Still i had a great time and in the later we went back to the rehearsal studio and started jamming.

Had the GP-10 for about a month and and got a Fender GC-1 the day before the party.

And they are great, just great!  :D

might not count as a review but wasn't  sure where to post.

topido

Quote from: alexmcginness on March 30, 2017, 05:27:20 AM
   I discovered that by accident. Thanks.

After another HarBal session Ive managed to replicate all of my VG-99 patches into the GP-10 to the point that when a/b the 99 with the GP 10 using a US 20 Im hearing "virtually" no difference. The slight difference is in the dynamics of the two units. Im finding that on my two over driven lead patches I have to dig slightly harder for the GP 10 to duplicate the sound in the 99. It is such a small variance that its a non issue.
   So, the 99 will not be travelling with me this time. The GP 10 and a MIDX 10 will be the replacement. I put the patches into the GP 10 at the same patch number location as my VG-99 so its the same pedal hits on the FC-50 to do the patch changes. Im a happy camper. Im worried about this new laptop ban that may be implemented on all airlines and if I have to put a guitar processor into my luggage I would rather it was the GP 10 than the plastic and more fragile VG 99.
   Ill still use the 99 for local gigs but for airline travel its the GP 10.
  Looks like Im a convert after all.

Hi Alex, I saw a picture of your traveler guitar GK-ed on this very forum and have been looking for the same model (Escape MK) but... lefthand.
After a year I finally found one which should arrive from canada in 2 or 3 weeks.
I plan to buy a GP10 and have what I believe to be the "perfect travel gear" ;).
Anyway, thanks again for the idea :)
PS: I can't find the photo of your guitar any more. Has probably disappeared.

alexmcginness

Quote from: topido on September 27, 2017, 04:56:14 AM
Hi Alex, I saw a picture of your traveler guitar GK-ed on this very forum and have been looking for the same model (Escape MK) but... lefthand.
After a year I finally found one which should arrive from canada in 2 or 3 weeks.
I plan to buy a GP10 and have what I believe to be the "perfect travel gear" ;).
Anyway, thanks again for the idea :)
PS: I can't find the photo of your guitar any more. Has probably disappeared.

Photobucket has gone haywire. Ill see if I can find it and put it on my Facebook page. Ive modded mine quite a bit, larger frets, different tuners etc. Its a great road guitar. Theres never a problem taking it as carry on when you fly.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

shawnb

Just got a GP-10.  Rash decision.  Cheap open box discount.  (My wife says I shouldn't have done it...)

The presets woefully sucked.  I know everybody complains about presets, but myself, I've liked a lot of presets on the GR-55, VG-99, GR-30.  Not here.  The GP-10 presets are completely unusable except for 2, the LP one and the GR300 one.

Ainsoph is a freaking god.  There is a lot of usable stuff there. 

For starters, I grabbed Ainsoph's GR300 pack & his SOLO pack.    About 1/2 of his patches worked very good with zero edits.  The other half squealed with feedback & were discarded.  (I use a low-gain guitar amp, not a PA, so this may be unique to this configuration.)

The PUNCH and IMMEDIACY of the GP-10 is formidable.  It doesn't feel like you're running thru an FX box.  It feels like you're PLAYING...

I'm a happy dude. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

QuoteFor starters, I grabbed Ainsoph's GR300 pack & his SOLO pack.    About 1/2 of his patches worked very good with zero edits.  The other half squealed with feedback & were discarded.  (I use a low-gain guitar amp, not a PA, so this may be unique to this configuration.)

If you are getting feedback on high gain GP-10 patches  - thats due to your hex PU type

If its a Roland Mag hex PU  ( GK-3, GK-2A) - it will benefit from wax potting
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43.msg71#msg71

If its your Gibson Dark Fire - thats a common issue as well  - as the Echo / Tronical design team only designed the Dark Fire  / RIP Box  GK 13 pin out for Guitar to MIDI ( GR-30, GR-33) and not 13 pin Guitar  / Amp Modeling systems ( VG-99, GP-10)

topido

Quote from: alexmcginness on September 27, 2017, 09:55:42 AM
Photobucket has gone haywire. Ill see if I can find it and put it on my Facebook page. Ive modded mine quite a bit, larger frets, different tuners etc. Its a great road guitar. Theres never a problem taking it as carry on when you fly.

Hey Alex,
I'm not on facebook (intentionally ;)). Can you put it back somewhere else?
Thanks for your help.

alexmcginness

dont know where to upload it to.

sixeight

bosetuno

So, it´s my turn to make a review. Bear in mind that English is not my native lenguage, so please forgive my faults in that respect.

My first impression was quite a dissapointment, to be honest. I run through the presets and I didn´t like it very much. Most if it had to do with the fact that boss units are dificult to connect with other equipment, specially in front of amps and the like. It has happened to me a lot of times, from my first GT3, to the GP-10 I borrowed once. The EQ presets on the system settings doesn´t help much in my opinion (boss should rework this, more on it later). The best you can do is to leave it in the line setting and use the eq to tame it a little. But anyway, every Boss GT i´ve tried worked much better driving a power amp, and the GP10 is no exception to this, at least it is the impresion I have from two days use. I hope I change my mind about it, though. So, connected to the guitar input from my system, it was kind of a mess, even though i set my amp quite clean and flat. The reverb and delays where too wet, and the frecuency response of the amp was too harsh, and boomy, besides it lacked body and... well, you get the idea. It sounded terrible. But judging something from its presets is a bad idea, specially boss units. Any way, i tried one more time conected to the main power amp. I worked better. Nothing to die for however. I went bed. The next day i brought it to the studio I work in and was messing around with it conected to the mixing console, and most important I conected to Boss Tone Studio and I build some presets from scratch. Ok. Now I begun to get an idea of its pros and cons.

I´ve been messing with it in the studio for a couple of days. I have some mixed feelings about it. The amp and fx section has been a dissapointment for me. I had a Boss GT3 since the early 00s. Thats almost 20 years ago, and the amps on the GP10 sounds pretty much the same. There are more models to choose and the converters and better, so there´s less noise, BUT the feel and the basic sound is the same as both my GT3 and GT5. The Fx section doesnt offer me anything that special and it is a pitty it desn´t include a ring modulator, since it is one of the few Boss GT fx that I really like. The delays are quite ok, and the reverb is improved from the ones in the 20 years old unit. Ufff

On the other side, the guitar modeling part is really good. It is nice to be able to bend an open tuned 12 strings guitar. This is something my apreciated VG8 cant do. The GR300 emulation is good. I like it a lot. It doesnt track as good as the original, but sound wise is perfect in my opinion. The wave synth is really good also. But it is true the osc Synth tracks poorly. I have still to try the midi tracking, but I expect it to be as poor as the OSC synth. It may work for pads and chords.

One thing I think its a pity is that there are not any stereo input amp and most of the fx are mono. I really like to pan the strings in the models, and the rich modulation poly fx may be worth what I paid for it, but as soon as you run it to anything else apart from stereo chorus or paralel L/R delay it collapses it to mono.

So far, I am using it in companion of guitar rig which has stereo procesing in its amp models and I actually prefer its amp sounds. It is a good combination.

Here are some examples.
https://soundcloud.com/bosetuno/boss-gp10-sound-examples

So just to resume my opinions. The amp part is not on par with what this device is capable of. The fx are ok ,but nothing to die for. The VG8 amp, wah and chorus are better in my opinion (actually the wah on the vg8 is great, really). I expected boss cosm amp simulations to be much better nowadays, and I hope the gt1000 prove me wrong. They sound ok, but are quite stiff on my hands. To have a stereo amp in this unit is a must. I think Boss should have make this a VG modeller only unit, no amp models and fx. It shines as a guitar and synth modeller, but I would really liked to have a Vari GTR on it.

bosetuno

In my previous post I comment on the output settings on Boss units. I´ve always had the feeling that boss units have a badly designed analog circuitry in inputs and outputs. Every Boss multifx processor I´ve tried had a common caracter to it, kind of lifeless, like it needed some gain staging before is AD section and after DA. I have the same feeling in the GP10. It is very subtle, but after almost 20 years using Boss units I feel it quite easily. My impresion is that they use a too high input impedance and too low output impedance to make it more easy to interconect, but that make the sound flatter and characterless than usual if not compensated with some electronics. I´m not an electronic engineer and havent seen any Boss schematic, so It is just my impresion. I would like to know others opinions in that respect.

Kind regards. I hope you enjoyed my review

bosetuno

I Just checked the manuals. GT5 and VG88 had similar specs in input and output. Input impedance is 1MOhm, output impedance is 2kOhms.
I cannot see anywhere the specs of the GP10, thay are not in the manual. However, I checked the specs of the VG8EX and they differ, and I dont have the same impresion with that unit, and actually I like its amp amulations more than other boss units. In the VG8EX the output impedance is 600/300 ohms (balanced/unbalanced). So if I am somewhere right it is becauso of a high output impedance, not too low as I said before

alexmcginness

Topido, Heres the traveller Ive modded.

topido

aliensporebomb

My GP-10 gigging in a jazz band (guitar, bass, kit drums, sax, vibes):

You can see the GP-10 peeking out behind me a little bit sitting on top of the JC120.

I've played the GP-10 before live but in an ambient project.  This time I played it through my JC-120 in stereo and I didn't use the hex input since I was mainly setting it for an L5 type tone using the standard input.  That way I could play my shred machine (easier to play) and have the sound be nice and big and not thin at all.

Right before this I used it to do an ambient thing during a church service and that worked well too.  Versatile little box.  It doesn't really replace the VG-99, it augments it.  This gig, the VG-99 stayed home.  It sure makes packing up quick.  I just wish the JC didn't weigh a ton.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.