GX-100- Using Line-6 Catalyst 200 as Power Cab

Started by admin, May 20, 2022, 11:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

OK another day,

Both my GX-100 and Catalyst 200 were purchased used, and today I did the following

* played the Catalyst 200 on 100 watt setting for 4 hours. broke in the Catalyst Speakers and that opened up the Amps response big time.
Then took a 4 hour break

* Performed a Global Reset of the GX-100, just to start with a fresh Slate

* Discovered that the Catalyst Power Amp Input thrives with +4dB Line Level signals, so I Set GX-100 OUTPUT SETTING to +4dBu Line Level

* Began trying different GX-100 OUTPUT SELECT Settings - and darn if the "KATANA -100/212 RETURN" setting yielded very good results - allowing the GX-100 to use stock presets including the GX-100 Speaker Sim activated on every patch, this combo has great tone and can fill any stage with great tone
Very happy , and much better experience after breaking in the Catalyst 200 Speakers

Chumly

What about your Fender Mustang GT-200 and the beauty of stereo?  Have you abandoned all hope of things past simply for the latest shiny gizmo?  Is there some magick inherent to the mono (I think it's mono?) Catalyst 200 that makes it clearly superior to the stereo Fender Mustang GT-200 for the purpose of amplifying a generic guitar processor?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

admin

Quote from: Chumly on May 21, 2022, 12:13:32 PMWhat about your Fender Mustang GT-200 and the beauty of stereo?  Have you abandoned all hope of things past simply for the latest shiny gizmo?  Is there some magick inherent to the mono (I think it's mono?) Catalyst 200 that makes it clearly superior to the stereo Fender Mustang GT-200 for the purpose of amplifying a generic guitar processor?

The Mustang GT/GTX is designed with their proprietary serial data communication to GTX-7 & EXP-1 footswitches - with a bug that  " self mutes" the amp - very repeatable - one swift "move the EXP-1 treadle too fast yields a data buffer overload  condition of the Mustang GT/GTX CPU, and the amp mutes mid song.

Meanwhile the Catalyat actually delivers a better variety of tones I need, with more dynamics and less harsh , and many desirable features absent on Mustang GT/GTX

Unique to Catalyst 200 is internal 2 x 100 watt power amps , separate power amp per 12" speaker

I'll make a mod this summer to add Stereo Line Input jacks, to use Catalyst 200 power amps and speakers  as a stereo power cab for my other DSP Modellers

Internal view of Catalyst 200 chassis
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34340.0

Chumly

I'm confused. Given the title "Using Line-6 Catalyst 200 as Power Cab" and my post keeping that same idea alive "amplifying a generic guitar processor" why would the better variety of tones of the Catalyst plus the Fender pedal sweep bug be of importance?

Is the Catalyst closer to being a full range, flat response power cab as compared to the GT-200, and if FRFR is the goal, wouldn't two powered speakers do even better in that regard, of which I think you already have?

I'm curious what happens to all the gear you purchase or otherwise obtain (assuming it's not in regular use)?  Me, I have far more stuff than I can use meaningfully, although it can be interesting.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

OptionOblivion

Quote from: admin on May 21, 2022, 12:29:01 PMI'll make a mod this summer to add Stereo Line Input jacks, to use Catalyst 200 power amps and speakers  as a stereo power cab for my other DSP Modellers

How difficult is it to do this?

admin

Quote from: OptionOblivion on July 17, 2022, 01:38:52 PMHow difficult is it to do this?

Just need to find spare time to reverse engineer the circuit

I have identified the Mono audio out from DSP /DAC is fed in parallel to two identical 100 watt power amps.

The ideal method would be design a small stereo line level opamp board that could drive the dual power amps,  Left and Right

90% of the parts are already there on Catalyst 200

Details

Catalyst 200 internal views
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34340.0

admin

But to be honest, other all in one Stereo amps to consider as a stereo  power cab for DSP modelers are

Fender Mustang VI (V2) 2x12

Fender Mustang GT200 2x12

Line-6 Vetta Combo 2x12

Line-6 Flextone III XL 2x12

Roland JC 120 2x12

Roland JC40 2x10

OptionOblivion

Already ordered the catalyst, and I don't currently run in stereo, just something to consider in the future. 

Mark Haydon

Quote from: admin on July 17, 2022, 02:00:39 PMBut to be honest, other all in one Stereo amps to consider as a stereo  power cab for DSP modelers are

Fender Mustang VI (V2) 2x12

Fender Mustang GT200 2x12

Line-6 Vetta Combo 2x12

Line-6 Flextone III XL 2x12

Roland JC 120 2x12

Roland JC40 2x10

Can we add the Roland Cube 80 XL to the list ?

admin