Trouble using a CIOKS DC power suppy - randomly

Started by Jarod, January 25, 2024, 10:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarod

Hello all,

I have been powering my Hotone Ampero MP-100 with a Cioks SOL power supply for some time, but I have a random problem that get really annoying.

Ampero needs 18V DC, center positive, 500mA, as per the specs.

I use a CIOKS SOL power supply (5 outlets of 9V DC / 660mA) with a special flex cable allowing to use 2 outlets for a total of 18V, 660 mA (there is another cable that allows to double current instead of voltage).

and it does work. Sometimes.

But most of the times, when I power on the unit, I get a hiss sound, even when not playing. The hiss sound is very noticeable, it is about as loud as the guitar when playing. I never have had this behaviour with the original power supply.

I am curious to know if everyone is using the stock power supply or one from a pedalboard, and if it works reliably ?

Elantric

Quote from: Jarod on January 25, 2024, 10:55:15 AMHello all,

I have been powering my Hotone Ampero MP-100 with a Cioks SOL power supply for some time, but I have a random problem that get really annoying.

Ampero needs 18V DC, center positive, 500mA, as per the specs.

I use a CIOKS SOL power supply (5 outlets of 9V DC / 660mA) with a special flex cable allowing to use 2 outlets for a total of 18V, 660 mA (there is another cable that allows to double current instead of voltage).

and it does work. Sometimes.

But most of the times, when I power on the unit, I get a hiss sound, even when not playing. The hiss sound is very noticeable, it is about as loud as the guitar when playing. I never have had this behaviour with the original power supply.

I am curious to know if everyone is using the stock power supply or one from a pedalboard, and if it works reliably ?

Classic starved current power supply problem , the Ampero ships with a 18V 1500 mA supply, because power on inrush current demands more than 500mA - else the unit at random may not power on. Hearing high Hiss Noise manifests when using an underpowered modern switching power supply - common problem.  I advise use a dedicated 18V @ 1000mA minimum  power adapter

gumtown

I second that, running your power supply too close to the maximum limit.
Try one rated at 2x the rated running current.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jarod

Cool, thank you for your answers.

Well, it is quite sad to have this very compact unit and have to bring its own power supply, with the clutter of another electric plug...
I will try to find a solution for that, like this adapter :

Thank you for the quick and efficient answers !