SY-1000 BASS MODE VIDEOS

Started by Elantric, January 12, 2024, 10:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

gumtown

Kind of sad that those are pretty much the only two Bass mode demos of the SY-1000 in the whole Universe.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quote from: gumtown on January 13, 2024, 12:06:04 AMKind of sad that those are pretty much the only two Bass mode demos of the SY-1000 in the whole Universe.

IMHO - To increase product awareness and promote the fact that bulk of SY-1000 strengths are part of a continued tradition,they should have silkscreened on the SY-1000 chassis "VGuitar / VBass" System.

Branding it "Guitar Synth" is only highlighting 1/3 of its feature set, that many focus on the sluggish OSC Synth, and blast on every stringed instrument internet forum how bad the SY-1000 is.

Or  ( worse) a youtuber that posts an hour long SY-1000 video titled  ""All About MIDI Guitar" - this killed SY-1000 sales ,  it smells like he was hired by a competitor to create a  hit piece

stub

So true. The fact that MOST of the amazing features of this box aren't even seen anywhere on YT is a shame. It is such a sprawling feature-set, so I suppose it's understandable.

When I use my GK3-B fretless electric bass, the acoustic/upright bass emulation (for pizz) is astoundingly good-- and what it might lack in "accuracy" it makes up for in musicality. For regular bass tones and non-GK stuff, it does everything I need ... really really well.

When I use it for guitar, again, I get everything I need. Yes, sometimes I have to dig in and make severe edits or aggressive EQ changes, but I can always get it where I need it.

Recently someone (who even owns a GK guitar!!) referred to it as a MIDI cable. We had a sit-down.

Elantric

Divide by 2 all stated operational details

fokof

"... here to show you my MIDI bass"

You cannot view this attachment.

Kevin M

Quote from: Elantric on January 15, 2024, 10:35:40 PMDivide by 2 all stated operational details

Demand to see the MIDI implementation chart for that 'MIDI bass'.

gumtown

I did see that video on youtube a while ago, and was not even going to count it as a useful demo.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

But it confirms the inability of Roland / Boss to adequately inform their products features, and tacitly allow the spread of misinformartion, often the local Roland/ Boss Dealer is the #1 source.

But whos going to tell Andy Summers, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew they are incorrect when all describe in interviews they use a Roland GK-3 MIDI pickup and 13 pin MIDI Cable.

Sad that top tier artists have a huge gap in their knowledge base

these lyrics hold true for many top guitarists who should know better, but apparently leave the technology knowledge to their guitar techs/ roadies..

Elantric

Quote from: Kevin M on January 16, 2024, 10:02:02 AMDemand to see the MIDI implementation chart for that 'MIDI bass'.

SY-1000 MIDI IMPLEMENTATION will display MIDI Note transmission - AFTER you enable it for triggering EXTERNAL MIDI SYNTHs

stub

Would you please hand me that adapter that you insist on calling a "dongle"-- even though dongle has had another perfectly good definition for decades. But yea, that extra syllable in "adapter" is pretty grueling.

Has anyone made the "That's not MIDI" vid?

Kevin M

Quote from: Elantric on January 16, 2024, 11:43:57 AMSY-1000 MIDI IMPLEMENTATION will display MIDI Note transmission - AFTER you enable it for triggering EXTERNAL MIDI SYNTHs

I was jokingly referring to a midi implementation chart for the so-called 'midi bass guitar' itself.

PHac

I was also surprised there is not more videos kinda "how to get most of your SY-1000". The mix of synth sounds with bass is where it shines - great bass processor with bass synth and fast tracking even for lower strings.

And this
Quote from: Elantric on January 16, 2024, 10:41:04 AMinability of Roland / Boss to adequately inform their products features
Looks like they don't really know what beast they developed, which is nicely demostrated by IMHO quite uninspiring factory presets for bass.

P.

fokof

Quote from: PHac on January 17, 2024, 03:28:52 AMAnd this Looks like they don't really know what beast they developed, which is nicely demostrated by IMHO quite uninspiring factory presets for bass.

Bass side of these are not very profitable for Roland me thinks.
They sold about 9 * VB99 , wich was Bass oriented only , they surely lost money on that.
Not sure it would have profitable even if they put $$$$$ on marketing

Generaly , you see GTR players with a 4 X 8 on the floor full of pedals and the bass player will have his bass and a DI only    ;)

aliensporebomb

NINE?   You think they sold NINE?  I'm curious about sales numbers for VG-99 myself.  It's funny.   The VG-99 with FC-300 was $1400 and now people don't think twice about paying more than that for a Helix or Kemper or Quad Cortex or whatever is deemed "hot".
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

fokof

Quote from: aliensporebomb on January 17, 2024, 04:01:13 PMNINE?   You think they sold NINE? 
I don't know the number , I was exaggerating/joking.
I'm sur they haven't sold much.

I have two VB99 , so , only 7 other human have bought one   :)

Elantric

Quote from: fokof on January 17, 2024, 06:15:21 PMI don't know the number , I was exaggerating/joking.
I'm sur they haven't sold much.

I have two VB99 , so , only 7 other human have bought one  :)

I have VG-99, and VB-99

gumtown

I was trying one out in my local music shop 14 years ago, unfortunately went for the GR-20 instead, so there is one local somewhere.

plexified

The answer to this thread lies in BOSS/Roland going into the scale length rabbit hole. . .

Here they take a very short scale guitar, like the one EVH plays in "Little Guitars" and program in the ablity to play guitar AND Bass with VGuitar in any physical scale length.

Then we take the youngest child musician, what are they like 4 these days, playing Vivaldi and Paganinni and introduce them to the VGuitar system. Hopefully it would be like a video game to them but with sounds. V-link some cartoons maybe. But definately get Alex Hutchins on the case with some quality lessons and tutorials and the seed is planted.

Little guitar, big sounds. Otherwise the kids are not even thinking about bass until much later on. And now, its just as interesting and creative as a guitar is. VGuitar can make it easier to front your own solo project or band as well. Start them out early.

Hurry, they need role models , before this Taylor Swift and Barbie rot their future!