Suggested amplifier for GR 55?

Started by Bobzilla57, March 22, 2020, 10:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobzilla57

I would ask the group for suggestions on type of amp for better performance using the GR 55. Thank you!

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Bobzilla57!  :)

admin

Quote from: Bobzilla57 on March 22, 2020, 10:05:30 AM
I would ask the group for suggestions on type of amp for better performance using the GR 55. Thank you!

I use a pair of QSC K10.2

Amplifications Systems for DSP modeling / Synths
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=37.0

gvidelock

I'm coming full circle back to my QSC K10's.

I started with the GR-55 and the K10's, then moved to the GP-10 with the K10's, then moved to the GR-55 with a Katana 100 head (Katana patches for straight guitar and the "clean" amp for synth patches).

I did all of last year's gigs with that last setup and it held up very well in the full band.

But now, adding the SY1000 (to handle acoustic guitars and amp models and effects) to the GR-55 (for specific sound sources like sax or flute or clavinet...things I can't figure out how to synthesize on the SY1000) I'm going to go back to my pair of K10's.

This "stay at home" period is helping me sort out the patches and midi between the two devices and get the rig ready for when we resume rehearsals.

-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

OldGuitarDude

I use a single EV ZLX-12p here. For solo or duo gigs it's good as a stand-alone, for full band the gr-55 goes straight into the PA with a monitor signal back to the EV...... not that there are any gigs going on at this time  :)

whippinpost91850

I use a Atomic CLR- NEO with both My Kemper and GR55

yerpman

I use two GR55's through an Aspen Pittman spacestation XL stereo  powered monitor. Expensive and worth every penny.

JohnK

I have a pair of Meyer UM-1P's... but they are heavy, and I do alot of fly-in gigs where my powered cab is backlined locally. I end up with a lot of QSC K-series of various models, and I prefer the K8, mostly for the wider dispersion horn, which I feel sounds more realistic in the "nearfield" application on stage. I tried a HeadRush FRFR108, but it just didn't move air on a real stage. I also tried a Turbo Sound Iq8, which did well for the acoustic guitar, piano, and drum sounds, but something about the DSP seemed to ruin the electric guitar tones.

But recently I was able to try the QSC CP8 and frankly, it's my new favorite. It has a certain bounce when you push it that feels like a guitar amp, but it moves serious air when I run weird synth, drums, or bass patches. And they're fairly cheap and common.

I have been using a GR-55 as my primary "amp" for about 10 years in the "jam band" scene.

MrJim65

Carrying on with this discussion...
It occurs to me that if you use a large amount of the GR55s synth capabilities then it makes sense to use something like an FRFR/PA set up etc.  However, if you don't want to lug too much gear and you mainly use your own pick ups through the amp modelling part of the '55  with some occasional synth sounds slightly quieter than the guitar wouldn't it then make sense to use something like a really good valve combo?   There'd be a pragmatic acceptance that the synth sounds might not be replicated as well as they could but if you wanted to make the guitar sound the primary focus then would this be the best way to go?   I'm thinking you could also go through the vocal pa a bit as well as the combo using the L/R channels to improve this.
Looking at a Marshall SV20c combo on sale near me and hoping for some reassurance is all!

Chumly

A conventional guitar amp is simply not capable of reproducing the frequency range of the GR-55 and since the GR-55 also has guitar amp modelling, there's no particular advantage to using a conventional guitar amp for conventional guitar amp sounds, unless you dislike the GR-55's guitar amp modelling to such an extent that you must have a dedicated guitar amp.

Reassurance is not the issue, psychoacoustics and the limits of a conventional guitar amp are.

The term psychoacoustics also arises in discussions about cognitive psychology and the effects that personal expectations, prejudices, and predispositions may have on listeners' relative evaluations and comparisons of sonic aesthetics and acuity and on listeners' varying determinations about the relative qualities of various musical instruments and performers. The expression that one "hears what one wants (or expects) to hear" may pertain in such discussion  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

whippinpost91850

I use an Atomic CLR NEO, with my GR55 and Kemper. For small bar gigs I use it alone , large gigs I monitor with it, and go direct to pa

gumbo

Quote from: Chumly on January 14, 2024, 04:27:27 PMA conventional guitar amp is simply not capable of reproducing the frequency range of the GR-55 and since the GR-55 also has guitar amp modelling, there's no particular advantage to using a conventional guitar amp for conventional guitar amp sounds, unless you dislike the GR-55's guitar amp modelling to such an extent that you must have a dedicated guitar amp.

Reassurance is not the issue, psychoacoustics and the limits of a conventional guitar amp are.

The term psychoacoustics also arises in discussions about cognitive psychology and the effects that personal expectations, prejudices, and predispositions may have on listeners' relative evaluations and comparisons of sonic aesthetics and acuity and on listeners' varying determinations about the relative qualities of various musical instruments and performers. The expression that one "hears what one wants (or expects) to hear" may pertain in such discussion  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

I reckon it's more important to look like you're actually enjoying yourself..
..and the audience will hear what they want.... ;)

FWIW (and I haven't done a lot of this lately thanks to COVID...yes, it's still happening in Oz) I use two Roland Cube 60's on the JC Clean channel....not perfect, agreed, but passable a lot of the time, and the LEAD channel is only a stomp away when I need it through a custom DP footswitch that changes both amps simultaneously.

Similar custom footswitches control built-in effects in both amps on the fly if appropriate.

Could dig in more, but prefer to spend money in different areas...to my knowledge, the sound hasn't prompted any gig cancelations in the last decade... ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

MrJim65

Quote from: Chumly on January 14, 2024, 04:27:27 PMA conventional guitar amp is simply not capable of reproducing the frequency range of the GR-55 and since the GR-55 also has guitar amp modelling, there's no particular advantage to using a conventional guitar amp for conventional guitar amp sounds, unless you dislike the GR-55's guitar amp modelling to such an extent that you must have a dedicated guitar amp.

You raise some good points here but having already bought the expensive Marshall in the interim I'm predisposed to hear it as sounding wonderful I guess.  However when I first put the GR55 through it sounded horrible so I did some editing and it got a bit better but nothing special. I then tried something that hadn't occurred to me before as I thought about what you said with regards disliking the  modelling part and tried turning off the modelling amps and just using the GR55 f/x instead (reverb/delay/compression/overdrive etc) as well as the synth sounds.  Early days and I accept maybe I'm trying to hear it as beautiful just because it was so pricey but wow it sounds fantastic.  Will have to give it some time and hear it with a band at louder volumes but so far very encouraging. 
I had no problem with the guitar amp modelling when going through a solid state amp or powered FRFR speaker but this sounds to my ears and the kind of sounds I personally want to be the best solution. 

MrJim65

Quote from: MrJim65 on January 15, 2024, 03:30:28 PMYou raise some good points here but having already bought the expensive Marshall in the interim I'm predisposed to hear it as sounding wonderful I guess.  However when I first put the GR55 through it sounded horrible so I did some editing and it got a bit better but nothing special. I then tried something that hadn't occurred to me before as I thought about what you said with regards disliking the  modelling part and tried turning off the modelling amps and just using the GR55 f/x instead (reverb/delay/compression/overdrive etc) as well as the synth sounds.  Early days and I accept maybe I'm trying to hear it as beautiful just because it was so pricey but wow it sounds fantastic.  Will have to give it some time and hear it with a band at louder volumes but so far very encouraging. 
I had no problem with the guitar amp modelling when going through a solid state amp or powered FRFR speaker but this sounds to my ears and the kind of sounds I personally want to be the best solution. 
Ok so you were completely right and I was allowing my love of the idea for having a boutique valve amp rule my head and it did actually sound horrible with the GR55!   Luckily I managed to sell the amp so no problems in the end and now going through the Headrush FRFR 112 which is the best overall and affordable solution:-to my ears anyway. 
Also I quite like the idea of playing some sub -2 octave bass lines on the synth part along with my normal pickups too.   Do you think that would damage the Headrush speaker at louder volumes?