SY-1000 OSC lead

Started by Brak(E)man, February 14, 2020, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Fretless guitar the most difficult to get the osc to trig correct.

A trig test for the OSC
Two OSC sin nothing more.
Slight detune and a bit portamento different time on each.

One in poly mode and one in mono.
Low velocity cut off which increases mistrigs but if it's on with the fretless it can't follow the slides.
Chromatic off off course  ::)

Sorry about the intonation, I have not played this guitar in a while and
fretlesses are very different individuals.
Not like fretted ones.  :)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

jassy

Thanks for those examples, very useful to get an idea about the SY1k potential
Not bad tracking in the end, very playable even with complicated phrasing, sounds promising, definitely much better than the GP10 one.
And probably it would be better with a fretted guitar, right?

Nicolher

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 14, 2020, 01:32:13 PM
Fretless guitar the most difficult to get the osc to trig correct.

A trig test for the OSC
Two OSC sin nothing more.
Slight detune and a bit portamento different time on each.

One in poly mode and one in mono.
Low velocity cut off which increases mistrigs but if it's on with the fretless it can't follow the slides.
Chromatic off off course  ::)

www.brakophonic.com/SYOSCLEADMono.mp3
www.brakophonic.com/SYOSCLEADPoly.mp3

Sorry about the intonation, I have not played this guitar in a while and
fretlesses are very different individuals.
Not like fretted ones.  :)
Like the music !
Breckerish vibes :-)

Brak(E)man

Quote from: jassy on February 14, 2020, 04:53:13 PM
Thanks for those examples, very useful to get an idea about the SY1k potential
Not bad tracking in the end, very playable even with complicated phrasing, sounds promising, definitely much better than the GP10 one.
And probably it would be better with a fretted guitar, right?

The OSC follows the fretless fine which means that bends , legato etc should be fine on fretted.
The fretless is harder to use with fi pcm synths.
The one thing that's odd and might be of importance is the low velocity cut.
With a higher value there should be less misstrigs but I have to turn it off.
I'll do a test run with fretted today

- Lydia Lunch

BROCKSTAR

Yeah I tested this last night as well, with velocity all the way up you have to hit the strings harder to produce sound, but all the way off it triggers too much. I find a good spot for me is around middle between 4 and 6 and than I can do decent legatos with less triggers. It plays much like the guitar-to-midi part too. Both are not perfect or stable and triggers here and there but usable for solo stuff if you're careful.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on February 16, 2020, 04:32:53 AMYeah I tested this last night as well, with velocity all the way up you have to hit the strings harder to produce sound, but all the way off it triggers too much. I find a good spot for me is around middle between 4 and 6 and than I can do decent legatos with less triggers. It plays much like the guitar-to-midi part too. Both are not perfect or stable and triggers here and there but usable for solo stuff if you're careful.

Halfway up , then I get misstrigs in the form of no trigs.
Which is odd , I have the GK sensitivity high compared to what's recommended on this forum and I pick hard.
Off or at 1 on low velocity cut,  that's it , past that no go...

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

Thanx , this track is only a demo of SY-1000 and a very small part of its possibilities

- Lydia Lunch

Maudibe

genius :) loved the mono version. Easier to control? And fretless - jeez!

mchad

That was fantastic. Fretless too. Wow. Very cool.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Maudibe on February 20, 2020, 07:19:46 AM
genius :) loved the mono version. Easier to control? And fretless - jeez!
Thanx
Yes mono trigs cleaner.
I don't play any different in the two examples , about the same sloppiness.
And I've got better results than this with the poly mode since this recording.

Quote from: mchad on February 20, 2020, 12:53:19 PM
That was fantastic. Fretless too. Wow. Very cool.

Thanx
And yes fretless is cool and worth trying , I'd say especially with modeling and synths.
There's a lot more control and expression than fretted , very different and a tad harder to master.

- Lydia Lunch

jozart

P15-2 SLIP AND GLIDE is a good preset for fretless. The OSC has DUAL Saw oscillators, one tuned up an octave, Mono mode and portamento.

pasha811

It's the player who makes OSC and not OSC who makes the player!

Great stuff! And was 'only' an example.  ;D

Thanks for sharing.

Ok I admit I like your musical genius.  8)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Brak(E)man

Thanx
But in reality the sound is what makes it playable.
I've had a long standing internal discussion with my old self about this phenomenon.

If you use the same guitar with the same listening setup , the sound from fi the patch , pedals , room etc,
is what makes it easier or harder to play.
Both technique and ideas. It can be almost impossible to play fast with one sound and easy with another one,
(not based on slow attack , take that out of the equation). The same with phrasing or ideas how/what/when to play.
Since this is not a physical/mechanical matter, it's under what would be known as psychoacoustics.
This is something that intrigues me more and more and something I have not got a grip what it's really about.
If you unplug the guitar and play, there should be no difference in any of these parameters but there are.
(at least to the majority of us musicians)

- Lydia Lunch

pasha811

Quote from: Brak(E)man on August 21, 2021, 03:35:52 AM
Thanx
But in reality the sound is what makes it playable.
I've had a long standing internal discussion with my old self about this phenomenon.

If you use the same guitar with the same listening setup , the sound from fi the patch , pedals , room etc,
is what makes it easier or harder to play.
Both technique and ideas. It can be almost impossible to play fast with one sound and easy with another one,
(not based on slow attack , take that out of the equation). The same with phrasing or ideas how/what/when to play.
Since this is not a physical/mechanical matter, it's under what would be known as psychoacoustics.
This is something that intrigues me more and more and something I have not got a grip what it's really about.
If you unplug the guitar and play, there should be no difference in any of these parameters but there are.
(at least to the majority of us musicians)

Interesting. Can it be that subtle differences or bigger ones arose when you have great sound feedback? So an unplug guitar might not sound as 'rewarding' if compared with an FX chain output to the creative portion of the brain that catches those tiny variations and excites other areas in the limbic cortex?

Back to OSC if it sounds good enough (pitch wise) and rewarding it can induce phrases and idea quicker than a boring sound IMHO.

Every musician responds to stimuli in a different and personal way.. and sometimes the unplug guitar can be inspiring because that is your mental state in that very moment and you compose a beautiful song, to be enriched with sounds later. Consciousness studies are very insightful but we still didn't grasp the essential nature of our being and I think it's ok because I do not think we can. The magic of music cannot be cracked!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: pasha811 on August 21, 2021, 06:07:05 AM
Interesting. Can it be that subtle differences or bigger ones arose when you have great sound feedback? So an unplug guitar might not sound as 'rewarding' if compared with an FX chain output to the creative portion of the brain that catches those tiny variations and excites other areas in the limbic cortex?

Back to OSC if it sounds good enough (pitch wise) and rewarding it can induce phrases and idea quicker than a boring sound IMHO.

Every musician responds to stimuli in a different and personal way.. and sometimes the unplug guitar can be inspiring because that is your mental state in that very moment and you compose a beautiful song, to be enriched with sounds later. Consciousness studies are very insightful but we still didn't grasp the essential nature of our being and I think it's ok because I do not think we can. The magic of music cannot be cracked!

If we reduce the factors to be only mechanical ( since it's more objective then fi ideas etc) then the sound that the same guitar produces determines whether one can play fast or not. This should of course not be the case but it is , at least for most musicians and most instruments.

The magic of music , yes it defies the physics involved in the building stones of music itself.
5 short examples

If we use the pure (just) overtones of a string or a pipe etc the pure 5th doesn't add up to a pure octave when
added on top. Like a 5th+5th... until you reach the octave again , adds up short.

The added sound mass of doubling the energy in a sound wave doubles at 3 Db but we experience a double volume at 6 Db ( simplified but true ).

If you play a just intonation major scale in Eb , the adding E natural as a bass note will change the absolute position in Hz of all the pitches in the Eb major scale. Playing the Eb major scale in its first position will be "out of tune"

The pitch of notes from about E5 and upwards , are perceived as being too low in pitch when they're at the pitch they should be mathematically ( either in equal or just tempered ) . Therefore we use stretch-tuning.

The latency in a concert setting( read big stage, no in ear monitors) can be much greater and playable, not noticeable,  compared to a latency through a soundcard and headphones. ( simplified but true )

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 16, 2020, 04:49:54 AMHalfway up , then I get misstrigs in the form of no trigs.
Which is odd , I have the GK sensitivity high compared to what's recommended on this forum and I pick hard.
Off or at 1 on low velocity cut,  that's it , past that no go...

Are your strings in standard  EADGBE TUNING, at A 440Hz?  On a fretted guitar? And SY-1000 is in Guitar Mode?

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on January 28, 2024, 07:57:36 AMAre your strings in standard  EADGBE TUNING, at A 440Hz?  On a fretted guitar? And SY-1000 is in Guitar Mode?

Yes , fretted and fretless

- Lydia Lunch