SY-1000 - Firmware Wish List

Started by admin, December 12, 2019, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

The "dream rig" is a hardware box with just a bit of overkill in terms of connectivity: i.e. 2 inputs, 2 stereo fx send/return loops, 4 outputs, MIDI i/o/thru, USB, etc. And quite a bit of overkill for processing power-- then design a really good 1.0 firmware for it. With enough spare CPU, memory, flash-ROM, etc. the firmware could continue to evolve.

A device like that could even work as a studio effect rig, synth/sampler, audio utilities, etc. etc.

Fractal has quite a bit of this going on, particularly with their top of the line, because it has the CPU bandwidth to keep growing. Line6 has been making some good strides with firmware, and is in many ways similar to Boss in terms of sound quality.

Boss does a nice job with basic sounds, depth of editing, and really durable hardware. But it seems growth of an existing product isn't really in their mission.

gumtown

I have had a great idea, not just for the SY-1000 but for all Boss device "Assigns" is to have an Assign Source control which is dependent on the fretboard position or note, just like the Dynamic Synth fretboard High/Low range, being able to assign that to any parameter in the Assigns Target list.
So as you play up/down the fretboard, an effect level, rate, feedback can be increased/decreased.

A use example I need is to have a single note pitch harmony at a specific fret (say 5th fret) but to not have the pitch harmony on the same string as you slide up to the 12th fret. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin_shawnb

Quote from: gumtown on January 29, 2024, 10:03:00 PMI have had a great idea, not just for the SY-1000 but for all Boss device "Assigns" is to have an Assign Source control which is dependent on the fretboard position or note, just like the Dynamic Synth fretboard High/Low range, being able to assign that to any parameter in the Assigns Target list.

I had a similar thought a while back...  You can do it today if you use a
 MSEPP (MIDI-Solutions Event Processor.)   The Event Processor program (attached) simply takes the E-string notes and xlates them as follows to translate notes to CC values.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8247.0

Harry1227

Hello.  Each dynamic synth instrument has LFO and sequences.  It would be great if some effect parameters could be synchronized with them.  For example, in the humanizer effect, you can synchronize the vowel selection with the sequence in the dynamic synth.  In the harmonizer, synchronize the harmonic step with the sequence. In alt tune settings you can synchronize a string pitch or bend control param with sequence. You can change a wave form of dynamic synth by sequence. Using an lfo wave pedal (assigns menu) does not ensure accurate phase sync with the sequence.

stub

Quote from: Harry1227 on February 09, 2024, 11:07:53 PMHello.  Each dynamic synth instrument has LFO and sequences.  It would be great if some effect parameters could be synchronized with them.  For example, in the humanizer effect, you can synchronize the vowel selection with the sequence in the dynamic synth.  In the harmonizer, synchronize the harmonic step with the sequence. In alt tune settings you can synchronize a string pitch or bend control param with sequence. You can change a wave form of dynamic synth by sequence. Using an lfo wave pedal (assigns menu) does not ensure accurate phase sync with the sequence.

Very cool idea. A "thick" data stream might be too much for the SY-1000's structure, but even if a low-density stream was possible, it could be quite useful and offer some cool opportunities.

I keep wishing someone would make a box that converts amplititude and pitch each to either 7-bit or 14-bit CC-- with various parameters for resolution, skew, smoothing, etc. I know such things can be cobbled with Blue Cat Meters, e.g.