DIY Divided PU project

Started by Elantric, June 25, 2017, 07:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Redvers

Ahh the only thing more expensive than buying a divided pickup, building one! Looks good though.

gumbo

Quote from: Redvers on June 26, 2017, 06:19:43 AM
Ahh the only thing more expensive than buying a divided pickup, building one! Looks good though.

......and exhausting !
..unfortunately my Friend (here in Oz) who was doing this has disappeared off the Internet without trace..   :-\

Five years later and no sign of him.

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

I remember quoting such an idea on hex pickups some years ago,
and I found it here.

Quote from: gumtown on March 19, 2011, 01:31:08 AM
Has anyone ever concidered or tried using the likes of the old compact cassette tape playback heads for GK style pickups? one for each string.
I had thought of this idea decades ago as an idea for having separate string control and analog outputs for processing each string with different effects.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

I didn't read his whole thread. While it is creative using those tape read heads, is there anything else that could be used that already has a magnet in it?

I saw a PBS documentary about the beginnings of rock and roll in the Soviet Union.

Since the musicians were only allowed to have acoustic guitars they started out placing pickups on the acoustic guitars and then started making their own electric guitars. 

They didn't have access to actual Electric guitar pickups, so they used the microphones off of public telephones. In order to do that they had to break the handset to remove the microphones.

Those early Soviet Union rockers we're having difficulty with the powers that be, to put it mildly.

But they rocked on anyway.

gumtown

They would have been acoustic pickups, as the old telephone microphone was a carbon granule type which also required voltage to power it.
Possibly they used the telephone magnetic ear piece with the flat steel diaphragm removed.

Something more high tech to use for a hex pickup could be 'hall effect sensors'.

The small physical size of hex pickup coils will always make them much lower impedance than a regular guitar pickup.
100's of ohms compared to 5k+ ohms
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/