LCD Screen Blank

Started by MTzadok, March 27, 2024, 05:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTzadok

I moved internationally a few years back and couldn't bring my VG-88 with me.  Left it with the in-laws.  I finally got it back and turned it on, and the LCD screen is blank. 

Is that a battery issue?  If I replace the battery will I be able to get it to work again?

Also I have a question about the power supply.  Are they universal(would I be able to plug a 220 cord in so long as its grounded) or will my American VG-88 only be able to run on 110?

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group MTzadok!  :)

billbax

No battery issue. VG-88 power supplies are not universal, you need a step-down transformer 220VAC to 110VAC. Do not use the VG-88 again until you have a step-down transformer, or go VG-88 220VAC to 110VAC transformer internal. Btw, a step-down transformer may cause increased PSU ripple or hum on your VG-88 audio. Investigate an internal US 110VAC internal transformer and the VG-88 service notes. Drop me a PM/email for the service manual. Bill

MTzadok

I have a step down transformer, a very expensive one for when I get back to 220 land. 

I'm not sure about your first part.  Is this not a battery issue?  Did it somehow die in my time away?  If it's toast, I'd rather know before I pack in my luggage and deal with the weight.

I mean the LCD lights up but doesn't have words.

Brent Flash

Quote from: MTzadok on March 27, 2024, 07:36:29 AMI'm not sure about your first part.  Is this not a battery issue?  Did it somehow die in my time away?  If it's toast, I'd rather know before I pack in my luggage and deal with the weight.

I mean the LCD lights up but doesn't have words.
I have seen a contrast adjustment cause a blank looking screen but to correct it may take a factory reset which will require backup to save any data in the VG. Just throwing out things to consider.

billbax

LCD lights up...need to raise it further with the forum.  I take it you have the LCD contrast set correctly...sorry. :D

MTzadok

Quote from: Brent Flash on March 27, 2024, 07:45:55 AMI have seen a contrast adjustment cause a blank looking screen but to correct it may take a factory reset which will require backup to save any data in the VG. Just throwing out things to consider.

Yeah I tried the factory reset.  Still a blank screen. 

I tried adding a picture but it didn't seem to work.  Here's the imgur link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/sImLfZU

Brent Flash

Quote from: MTzadok on March 27, 2024, 08:12:57 AMYeah I tried the factory reset.  Still a blank screen. 
It may be a power supply issue. Does the VG88 have external or internal supply? You may want to test what it is putting out if external or try a different one.

MTzadok

It's an internal power supply.  Took it to my local dealer.  Changed the battery, tried another factory reset nothing.  They called Roland... 50/50 it could be fixed.  Might be easier to just pick up a second hand one that is in working order.

Brent Flash

Considering the age of the unit and that it has internal power supply you may have a bad capacitor on the power supply board not suppling the proper voltage for the unit to power up.

Elantric

Quote from: MTzadok on March 27, 2024, 10:31:33 AMMight be easier to just pick up a second hand one that is in working order.

Agreed- and seek a VG-88 that is confirmed to already have the VG-88 FW 2.00 upgrade preinstalled

Or shop for a gently used VG-99

billbax

Before you right it off, how about a few hi-res power supply photos.

Elantric