All said and done

Started by Bill Ruppert, March 26, 2024, 06:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

All said and done, the Boss SY-1000 is a monster.
It does have some problems in some areas, but overall it is such an amazement.
Not sure what I would do without it.

gumtown

I agree 100%
Don't know if I can add any more to that.
The SY-1000 is nearly perfect, but still leaves me wanting just a bit more.  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stub

For me, it was a massive upgrade from my GP-10-- doing all that and much more, and all way better.

I'm sympathetic to users who are having some tracking trouble. And I get the impression that some of them had much better results with older Boss gear, so they had higher expectations.

At some point, I'll do some testing to see how things work for me here-- in terms of various reported glitches. But as for the gigs I've done with it, it works great. Any sound I've needed, I can get and keep refining it until it's 100% there.

jongrant

I love the bloody thing (except when a cheeky glitch ruins a conspicuous note every so often, at which point I curse Boss for not being perfect)!

I use it A LOT in studio work, and I have very few big complaints about it. Of course it has limitations, but not as many as I do.

If I could have just one wish granted, I would ask for a stereo send/return. (The wretchedly quirky BTS is something I can work around.)

For me, despite the hiccups, it is worth the hefty price.

chrish

Quote from: chrish on April 24, 2022, 07:05:52 AMEnjoy your SY1000, its a monster machine.
I still agree, it's a monster synth.

I'd sure like to know the process how Roland achieved a nearly perfect GR300 model.

kevorkian

I love it to pieces. We need more lovefest threads like this.

aliensporebomb

Oh it's a terrific machine - not just the guitar sounds either or I would have gotten a GT-1000.  I can use some of my VG-99 tricks on it in a new and hi-fi way - I also have some new and unusual tricks due to the 3 INST layering.   The minor bugs are just that, minor and there are ways around it.  And there are ways to get sounds nothing else makes.  That's so fun!  And it takes pedals incredibly well, even drive pedals.  I dig it.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

I've said here before that the SY-1000 is the guitar synthesiser I've waited all my life for.  And with the GM-800 on my board too, I now have the rig I've waited all my life for.

What's telling is that nothing on my 'gear I ought to buy' list has anything to do with making original music.*  That's a first!

*Ironically, for someone who has made a career out of guitar synthesisers and guitar modelling, I'm in a Big Band.  Absolutely bog standard rig using normal pickups based around a Vox AC30S1, a JRockett Archer, a GigFX megawah and a Catlinbread Echorec.  Basically I could really do with a nice-ish semi/archtop that I'm happy to gig - Eastman look good ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

ffata

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 26, 2024, 06:19:25 PMAll said and done, the Boss SY-1000 is a monster.
It does have some problems in some areas, but overall it is such an amazement.
Not sure what I would do without it.

I don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred

stub

Quote from: ffata on March 28, 2024, 03:23:42 PM...do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?

It's not that black & white. I ALWAYS connect it via 13-pin, but I pretty often route the mags into my patches on the SY-1000. My guitar has piezo saddle pickups, so palm-muting sounds dumb. But also, just generally, I use the mags for regular electric guitar/bass sounds, and use the divided pickup for models. And I don't really use the synth models except sometimes to add a layer.

But that is one of the wonders of the SY-1000-- i.e., 3 models, plus mags.

Elantric

Quote from: stub on March 28, 2024, 04:09:41 PMIt's not that black & white. I ALWAYS connect it via 13-pin, but I pretty often route the mags into my patches on the SY-1000. My guitar has piezo saddle pickups, so palm-muting sounds dumb. But also, just generally, I use the mags for regular electric guitar/bass sounds, and use the divided pickup for models. And I don't really use the synth models except sometimes to add a layer.

But that is one of the wonders of the SY-1000-- i.e., 3 models, plus mags.

Same here, the SY-1000 Synths are the least attraction for my principal use of SY-1000

arkieboy

Quote from: ffata on March 28, 2024, 03:23:42 PMI don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred
For regular guitar sounds in regular tuning I use my own guitars' pickups - Tonerider + BK Bootcamp on the Strat, Seymour Duncans on the Brian Moore - and they both sound fine as they are.

If I want to do pitch shifting or alternate tunings, and occasionally if I have a tricky pickup and patch change I'll use a modelled electric so I can preset the guitar, pickup and tone controls.  I'll also model the other half of a 12 string guitar if I want an electric twelve - layering a Nashville tuned Strat on top of my regular Strat pickups.

I use modelled acoustics in some part of most of our songs - generally 12 string or nylon strung models.  In one song I model a mandolin - there's no mandolin body available so I use a regular acoustic model with some eq to better match a real mandolin's sound.  The most important thing is setting the alternate tuning correctly I think, which gives you authentic chord voicings, and it certainly sounds right when in the context of a song.

I'm a big fan of the wave synth and use that a lot, especially for lead sounds and sequences.  You can get pretty convincing Arp-like sounds from the SY with not much effort.

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: ffata on March 28, 2024, 03:23:42 PMI don't own one, (yet!, still with "just" my VG-99) was wondering, do you use it more with mag or hex pickups?
Thanks, Fred

Hi Fred
I only use it with mag pickups for amps, effects and synths.
To my ears, I get a much fatter organic sound that I am in love with.
The SY-1000 just sparks so much creativity everytime I play it.
With the mag pickup I feel more connected to it dynamically.
Everybody is different, and the magic box has something for EVERYBODY!
PLUS come on, it looks cool!!

aliensporebomb

I use it as a mixture, with both GK pickup and mag pickups.  My favorite setup just for practice these days is my guitar into a Klon Klone into the front end of the SY-1000 and that's great to overdrive the unit.  But you don't need any kind of distortion box to get a good overdriven sound with it, it's just a doubled overdrive I'm gravitating to lately. 

arkieboy

Quote from: Elantric on March 28, 2024, 04:13:13 PMSame here, the SY-1000 Synths are the least attraction for my principal use of SY-1000
I don't think everyone should use the unit in the same way - quite the contrary.  But that doesn't mean that they synth stuff is substandard.

I popped over to my friend Dave's today - Dave plays keys in our band Forgotten Gods - and he played a 'disco' version of something sub-Pink Floyd I wrote for the band during lockdown based on the 'moving sequence' preset.

Dave played several high end plugins on the track (including the Korg Odyssey plugin - he has the hardware version in storage so it's not a cheap substitute), and his studio boasts a Sequential Trigon, a high end Kurzweil, a Micromonsta 2, and he has dozens of synths in storage aside from the Oddy including (ffs) an Oberheim Xpander.

The SY is right at the front of the mix, and it doesn't sound in anyway odd/wrong/different/substandard.  It's actually the fattest sound in the mix.

Feels good to not be a second-class citizen :-)

stub

Even though I don't use synth sounds very much, they are very tweakable, very useable, and very musical. But for me the mojo is in the acoustic models. The electric guitar models are good. The electric bass models don't sound right with my system-- but I don't mind, as I can just use my mags.

BROCKSTAR

Synth stuff is definitely fine. I however haven't messed with the synth stuff much these days and been using the sy-1000 mainly for acoustic / jazz tones and use the gm-800 for my synth stuff.

However I wanna get back into doing some synth stuff with the sy-1000 sometime as well.

aliensporebomb

Here was something I did on the SY-1000 back in December just because - kind of a Hearts of Space thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kXvqmmdNhI

jozart

Quote from: arkieboy on March 28, 2024, 05:20:20 PMI'm a big fan of the wave synth and use that a lot, especially for lead sounds and sequences.

Thanks for the details.

Are you referring to the dyna synth or the osc synth?

I assume you are referring to dyna synth because it's easy to play and has the two sequencers.

arkieboy

Yes.  The dynamic synth.  It was called the wave synth in the VG99 ...

Apologies

Some while ago I covered a BBC Radiophonic Workshop piece by Peter Howell called 'Astronauts' almost entirely on my SY1000 for an SoS forum competition - the Soundcloud link in the original post has gone, here it is in my dropbox.  This is all dynamic synth except the percussion and the synth sound with portmanteau (which is the SY OSC synth).

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q3jbazgqgib2er356du5o/astronauts-sy1000.mp3?rlkey=kh66y4qxrejdt2ip2rxiypd6i&dl=0

Bill Ruppert

Steve, that Astronauts track is great!

admin_shawnb

I love my SY-1000, it's my goto device these days.  The biggest challenges are with g2m (osc & midi out, especially on low E & A), and alt tuning.

For me, the alt tuning is easily worked around - in my report I noted that a little processing covers it up nicely.  I don't play it naked like in that patch, that patch was just to expose the issue at worst case.

I don't use the midi out - I prefer the gm-800 & ftp for that. 

The osc just plain sucks.

But the guitar & amp models and the dynamic synth, including great features like the sequencer, are the best combo I've played by far.  Pretty much everything I've hoped for, in one unit.

If I really wanted midi out or osc from this, I might be disappointed.  But I don't, so I'm not.

My philosophy has always been to buy a unit for what it does, not what I wish it did...  They all have strengths & weaknesses.

arkieboy

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on April 02, 2024, 05:32:28 PMSteve, that Astronauts track is great!
Thanks, Bill.

It was such great source material, all I had to do was not f*ck it up!!  ;D

chrish

Quote from: admin_shawnb on April 02, 2024, 07:59:28 PMMy philosophy has always been to buy a unit for what it does, not what I wish it did...  They all have strengths & weaknesses.
I somewhat agree with that. However if a product offers a feature like GP2M, osc synth or alt tuning, it should actually work correctly.

The osc synth in the VG99 worked fine (wave synth with square and saw wave, wasn't that mono though?, can't remember).But even in mono mode the SY1000 osc synth glitches. People say the P2M works in the GM800, so why not in the SY1000.

In other works, shouldn't a customer expect that their Tesla battery not explode in a ball of fire?

gumtown

I would speculate that Guitar to midi is a core function of the GM-800 for it to use PCM synth tones,
 where as the SY-1000 is based on HRM/COSM modeling and DSP processing per string, with guitar to midi being a secondary function,
 being the reason why the SY-1000 guitar to midi is not as good as the GR-55 or GM-800.

By that same reasoning, you would assume the VG-99 guitar to midi is not quite the same as the GR-33 guitar to midi too. ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/