Keith McMillen MIDI Out To USB Mini?

Started by Chumly, March 25, 2024, 10:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Hi there,
Does anyone know of a cheap alternative to this?  https://foundsound.com.au/products/21406
Would a conventional USB/MIDI interface with an A-Male to Mini-B cable work, I wonder?
Cheers,
Chum
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

Quote from: Chumly on March 25, 2024, 10:55:31 PMHi there,
Does anyone know of a cheap alternative to this?  https://foundsound.com.au/products/21406
Would a conventional USB/MIDI interface with an A-Male to Mini-B cable work, I wonder?
Cheers,
Chum

QuoteThe KMI MIDI Out Adapter Cable adds a female 5-Pin DIN MIDI Out Port to KMI Products with a Mini Expander Port. Not compatible with K-Mix. For KMI Products Only.

MIDI Out Cable used with KMI Expander Ports
Works with QuNexus, SoftStep, 12 Step, and K-Board Pro 4

Thats the only compatible KMI EXPANDER TO 5 pin MIDI adapter cable

KMI products employ  connectors that appear to be 5 pin MINI USB (they call this the "Expander Port") ,  but these are not USB. Which leads to much confusion as its a KMI proprietary signal format and not related to USB- its explained/ implied  in the KMI documentation for the KMI Blue MIDI Expander box.

Chumly

Much thanks!

I just bought it last night from Craigslist and I did read that, but it wasn't clear to me that the Mini Expander Port is not a Mini-B USB port enabling MIDI over USB.

I did try to momentarily power up the Keith McMillen 12 Step I just bought, from the USB port on my laptop via the "Expander Port" using an A-Male to Mini-B cable, and it powered up. Do you think I caused damage to the proprietary "Expander Port" circuitry?

Without the KMI MIDI Out Adapter Cable, can I  use the 12 Step for my purpose, that being a bass pedal controller for a synth, either hardware-based or software-based?

It looks like it might have to be a software based synth as I'm not sure if the standard size USB B port on the 12 Step can directly control a hardware synth and/or if a USB to MIDI box would work from the standard size USB B port.

I have a few hardware synths, both rack-mount and keyboard, as well as some soft synths on laptop and iPad and iPhone. I suppose it might be easiest to have a dedicated iPhone, with a nice soft synth MIDI'd to the 12 Step via an Apple Camera Kit.

I wonder if I can get the 12 step to control a hardware synth, without the KMI Expander to 5 pin MIDI adapter cable?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

It can not connect to any third party MIDI hardware without either the

* KMI Expander to 5pin MIDI cable

Or

*  KMI MIDI Expander BOX (blue)

Chumly

Thanks, I guess that leaves me with using a soft synth via USB?