VG-99FloorBoard editor (for guitar)

Started by gumtown, April 11, 2021, 02:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Quote from: Bernarada on December 12, 2023, 08:33:15 AMI have Crossover. I'll try it with the M1 for the Roland editor. And as I asked, anything need to be done in the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup/MIDI Studio? Also, any particular settings need to be tweaked in the VG-99 itself to get it to connect - I'm still learning about all the available settings in there.

mmmhh that's twice as much embarrassing... sorry.
First of all I forgot to answer your question... : No I did not do anything with AUDIO/MIDI Setup..
because (and that's even more embarrassing) I do not even know how to connect the objects in it.  ::)
VG99 usually has (SYSTEM Button/MIDI) MIDI ch set to 7 and Device ID = 1. OMNI MODE = OFF. I think I never changed it since day one expect a couple of times recently (changed Device ID to 1 - it has been 17) in any case, in Gumtown's editor you dial MIDI TX Channel at the beginning.   
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Bernarada

Quote from: pasha811 on December 12, 2023, 10:22:08 AMmmmhh that's twice as much embarrassing... sorry.
First of all I forgot to answer your question... : No I did not do anything with AUDIO/MIDI Setup..
because (and that's even more embarrassing) I do not even know how to connect the objects in it.  ::)
VG99 usually has (SYSTEM Button/MIDI) MIDI ch set to 7 and Device ID = 1. OMNI MODE = OFF. I think I never changed it since day one expect a couple of times recently (changed Device ID to 1 - it has been 17) in any case, in Gumtown's editor you dial MIDI TX Channel at the beginning.   

No worry - about being sorry.

What do you mean by "...dial MIDI TX Channel at the beginning"? You dial "MIDI TX Channel" where? And speaking of which, is there a place where you have to dial the UM-ONE MKII in?  h
Old Ovation Classical, Larrivée OM-03, Alvarez baritone stringed in Half-Nashville, Washburn J6 archtop with internal RMC pickup, Godin SD with GK-3, Line 6 Helix floor, SY-1000, VG-99, and a little home-studio, running a RME Babyface Pro FS, a pair of KRKs, a Macbook M1 Pro and Logic.

gumtown

Currently working to do a revised Mac OS version, as I see the frustrating popup midi connection dialog won't go away.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Have now updated the Mac OS version and it is working well, but..
having issues getting the settings/preferences file to read, so the editor is set to an auto scaled size of about 80% screen size and midi device default is "UM-ONE".

To install the UM-ONE I had to
a) download and install the Roland UM-One MK2 driver (not the old obsolete UM-1 driver).
b) plug in the UM-One Mk2 in to the iMac USB port, the UM-One USB led did not immediately light up in use (UM-One switch must be in COMP position).
I went into the Applications/Utilities/Audio-Midi settings menu, pulled up the midi settings popup and clicked on the UM-One midi device box.
Then the USB led lit up on the device.
c) connect the UM-One 5 pin midi plugs to the VG-99 midi ports.
d) download and install the latest VG-99Floorboard editor from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sy1000floorboard/files/VG99FloorBoard/
Depending on which version of Mac OS you are running, later versions require added permissions to run the installer, go into Mac Security/Privacy settings and allow the installer package to run.
e) once installed, go into Applications and run VG-99Floorboard, if using a UM-ONE Mkii it should come to life with the connected button lit and the patch names populated in the left side patch tree, and the current VG-99 patch loaded in.

The settings and patches should be found in (top level Computer/USERS folder) ../Shared/VG-99FloorBoard
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pasha811

Quote from: Bernarada on December 12, 2023, 12:39:19 PMNo worry - about being sorry.

What do you mean by "...dial MIDI TX Channel at the beginning"? You dial "MIDI TX Channel" where? And speaking of which, is there a place where you have to dial the UM-ONE MKII in?  h

When VGFlooreditor starts asks for MIDI TX Channel. If your MIDI Channel is 7 you should match it in the pop up 'dialing' a 7. Hope this helps :-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gclev

Hey gumtown, finally able to try your updated version of fb. The laptop I initially had issues running fb on, the one I left in the sun and fried the screen, somehow is now working.

I installed the 12/13/23 version of fb but am unable to run the program. I get an error saying this version can only be installed on os 11 or later. I have 10.15.6. Do you have an updated fb that will work on my MacBook? Or better yet, do you plan to update fb to Sonoma? I ended up buying an M2 after I thought I killed my old mb, so if I could use the vg99 on that.

Last week I spotted a vb99 on guitar centers used gear site and bought it. Arrives in a few days so excited to try your vb99 fb as well...

Thanks!

gclev

An update from my last post. Realized FB for VG99 has already been made to work in Sonoma and I was able to get it to work. Haven't really dived in yet, but at least it works on my new macbook.

Also was able to get FB for VG99 to work on my wife's old macbook book air running os 11.7. Still not able to get it to work on 10.15.

Was not able to get FB for VB99 working on OS 10.15 as well, the latest available version. I have all the midi parameters in the VB matching the VG. I'll take this over to the FB for VB thread.

gumtown

As operating systems are updated, the framework on which the FxFloorBoard apps are built on also need to progress to catch up,
 which unfortunately means the narrow window of compatibility also moves forward too.
Some previous versions of apps can be found in the Archive folder (if applicable) of that app's download page.

kenact

Quote from: gumtown on April 10, 2024, 03:38:35 PMAs operating systems are updated, the framework on which the FxFloorBoard apps are built on also need to progress to catch up,
 which unfortunately means the narrow window of compatibility also moves forward too.
Some previous versions of apps can be found in the Archive folder (if applicable) of that app's download page.

I guess the days of backward compatibility are slowly fading away. I'm finding that more and more on devices with firmware that also require drivers. Update the firmware, without updating the drivers, and you get odd results, if it works at all. Update the drivers and not the firmware... same problem. This can get very problematic with a device used on multiple computers.

At least in terms of firmware, we don't usually have to worry about Roland products. :)
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

Quote from: kenact on April 11, 2024, 08:10:19 AMI guess the days of backward compatibility are slowly fading away. I'm finding that more and more on devices with firmware that also require drivers. Update the firmware, without updating the drivers, and you get odd results, if it works at all. Update the drivers and not the firmware... same problem. This can get very problematic with a device used on multiple computers.

At least in terms of firmware, we don't usually have to worry about Roland products. :)

I can relate, this phenomenon  is the current situation with Hotone Ampero II Stomp. I cant recommend Hotone as its too easy to brick the unit while attempting to perform an update to latest firmware - Hotone does not employ common "USB MASS STORAGE" Mode as Roland / NUX

Instead one must use the right combination of Ampero Editor to perform the firmware update - but if you skip interim FW Versions, the device is stuck in a non operating mode.
.also the same USB-C port for programming can power the unit, which can overheat the Laptop USB port power delivery - it fried my Asus Q551 Laptop