Fender-Roland G-5 Stratocaster

Started by aliensporebomb, January 19, 2012, 03:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Spider

Quote"Industry giants Roland and Fender are proud to
introduce the VG Stratocaster G-5, an amazingly versatile electronic guitar that fuses
traditional design with the latest in digital music technology. Combining Roland's
revolutionary COSM® modeling with Fender's classic Stratocaster guitar, the VG
Stratocaster G-5 gives players instant alternate tunings, a wide selection of electric,
acoustic and 12-string guitar models, and more—all easily accessible with standard
controls on the front of the instrument.
In 2007, the two legendary companies joined forces to create the VG Stratocaster
guitar, the first instrument to blend Roland's innovative digital technologies with
Fender's iconic solid-body guitar. The VG Stratocaster G-5 represents the next
generation in this important partnership, which aims to enhance and expand the
potential of the guitar through the seamless integration of familiar, world-class
instrument design and leading-edge digital processing.
Inside the VG Stratocaster G-5 is Roland's groundbreaking COSM guitar modeling,
the same tone technology found in the VG-99 V-Guitar System and GR-55 Guitar
Synthesizer. Driven by an inconspicuously mounted GK-3 Divided Pickup, the
onboard COSM engine gives the player a world of different guitar sounds including
unique "ideal-performance" pickups, such as a humbucker with ultra-wide range and
a single coil with full, bold tone at their fingertips, available simply by adjusting the
familiar Stratocaster knobs and 5-way pickup selector switch.
The 20 sounds onboard the VG Stratocaster G-5 include Fender Stratocaster,
Telecaster®, humbucking, 12-string, acoustic models, and cutting-edge unique
sounds plus five alternate tunings. A Mode Control knob selects one of five distinct
modeling modes, while the Tuning Control knob allows players to apply alternate
tunings such as open G, drop D, baritone, and others to any currently selected
model. In addition, a digital reverb effect is available when an acoustic model is
selected.
As an instrument, the VG Stratocaster G-5 is an authentic Fender Stratocaster guitar
through and through. It features a solid contoured body, 22-fret maple neck (with
rosewood or maple fingerboard), three American Strat® single-coil pickups with 5-
way switching, a synchronized tremolo bridge, a 3-ply pickguard, American inline
tuners and chrome hardware. The VG Stratocaster G-5 is 100% a real Strat® guitar,
with the same legendary sound and feel that players have loved for over 50 years.
The VG Stratocaster G-5 gives players a single, versatile guitar that can cover any
musical style and playing situation."

Elantric

RE  VG Stratocaster G-5 - might work for some, who prefer WYSIWYG, (and are living under a rock with no exposure to a Line 6 dealer.) but no 13 pin output, no high level guitar model editor, no path for smart connectivity to other gear is a complete  miss in my book. - I figured the poor selling 2007 Fender Roland VG Strat would have revealed those design flaws, but here they are again with this years model with identical limitations as the 2007 version.

Elantric

the new G5 VG Strat    - I see they removed the USA two point bridge
and 2012  is the 5th year anniversary of the 2007 Fender VG Strat - hmmm.

Do the math - I figure the release of this "new" Roland distributed  G5 VG Strat was a result of a mid 1990s Fender / Roland joint contract giving Fender a 5 year exclusivity for this guitar, in exchange for use of the Roland COSM DSP technology.  "G5" = the 5th year Roland version.

Roland G5 Strat on far right

Frank

Quote from:  Elantric on January 19, 2012, 08:29:46 AM
GC-1 seems to be the new name for the 14 year old Roland Ready Strat.

I bet it stands for "Guitar Center 1" as old name was too confusing.

I agree, it's emporers new clothes time, a wasted opportunity; I don't buy the argument that a 13 pin connector on the G-5 is going to put off hardcore strat users, after all they wouldn't touch a VG strat with a 10 foot pole.

germanicus

What a swing and a miss.

"Hey lets release the VG Strat again without any substantive improvements!"
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

datsunrobbie

RolandConnect has a bunch of new stuff, just got the email

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=v-guitar

Is it just me, or does it look like a lot of unused connectors on this board?

dr_macd

But wait...is it a USA or a Mex strat, let get the build quality right first !
1997 Black USA Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster,
USA Seafoam Green Closet Pro Fender Custom Shop Strat,
USA Red Fender Telecaster with Fishman Tripple play,
Indonesian Trans Red Jim Adkins Telecaster,
MEX Sunburst Nashville Power Telecaster,
USA  PRS SC245,
USA Taylor T5.

gumtown

Quote from:  datsunrobbie on January 19, 2012, 01:07:31 PM
Looks like none of the internal wiring harness is connected, for the PU selector switch, buttons, pots and GK hex pickup and GK out socket connectors.
And it looks as though one guitar is GK ready only, and the other is the VG guitar, on the Roland Connect page.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteBut wait...is it a USA or a Mex strat, let get the build quality right first !

- looking at the chinese bridge on the G5, (Its a Mexican Strat)
The press release says "American Tuners" to throw you off. 

Elantric

Im sure Roland will price these at a premium. but zero interest to me here personally. (A big yawn)

Whats new for 2012 is this important fact: 

"Distributed exclusively by Roland, "

Ill get verification of country of origin for each this weekend.
But that chinese 6 point bridge on the G5 sure smells like this is a MIM Strat.

In the past  - only Fender Dealers could sell these type guitars.

Not every Roland Dealer is also a Fender Dealer. 
http://www.rolandus.com/go/v-guitar/

Probably a win win for both Fender and Roland

Win for Fender - as it removes the chore of providing VGuitar tech support away from the typical Fender Customer Support folks were always clueless about the Roland VG technology.

Win for Roland, as this allows them to be back in the guitar business - last time Roland sold guitars was 27 years ago.

stratosonic

Quote from:  gumtown on January 19, 2012, 01:55:24 PM
Looks like none of the internal wiring harness is connected, for the PU selector switch, buttons, pots and GK hex pickup and GK out socket connectors.
And it looks as though one guitar is GK ready only, and the other is the VG guitar, on the Roland Connect page.

Roland should have included a 13 pin output on the new VG5 Guitar, perhaps it would then sell better than the previous version ??? I cant see many people paying £1199 (uk price) for this, when you could buy a decent strat, internal GK3 kit and GR55 for less? The line 6 Variax guitars are also a good alternative (in terms of value for money ).

The new GT100 doesnt look too bad though, will hold judgement till I've tried one out  :)

Charles5150

To me, single jack output is a win, I will allow wireless guys as me to do guitar modeling wireless , I hate to mess aroung with the 13-pin cable.

Put a Fishman wireless midi on it, and you have the perfect all-in-one guitar

Elantric

QuoteTo me, single jack output is a win, I will allow wireless guys as me to do guitar modeling wireless , I hate to mess aroung with the 13-pin cable.

Put a Fishman wireless midi on it, and you have the perfect all-in-one guitar

Same strategy works with a Variax too, but with far more expansion / I/O, control options than the re-released G5 VG Strat.

QuoteThis Variax guitars on video is better than Roland G-5 ?

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/g-5_gc-1_brochure.pdf

The Roland G-5 is a recycled  / leaned down 2007 Fender VG Strat, (which was a market failure for many significant reasons and most were dumped /blown out by Fender Dealers back in 2009) which  speaks volumes about Rolands disregard to actually understand what the market wants,  listen to Customer feedback, while they made the bad decision to re-release this 6 year old turkey with a new name, and no improvements.

Roland G-5 is:
* Not capable of User defined tunings.
* Not capable of playing a full evenings gig, since Its internal battery only lasts 3 hours   - There is an optional "remote power adapter" which is a kludge, requiring a separate DC power cable
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CN-1/

* No 13 pin Output -So Zero path to connect to other 13 pin VG/GR gear.
* Only one analog 1/4" Output Jack ( an no USB) means zero connectivity path to a computer 
So this mans No User Editor of the COSM Guitar Modeling or COSM Pickup locations , a factory fixed set of  Alt Tunings, and no String level adjustment
Its rather lackluster and non gig able recycled 2007 design,

Read the G-5 thread  here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5173.25.

To me the Tyler Variax advantages are obvious

http://line6.com/jtv-69/features#CreateCustomInstrumentswithVariaxWorkbenchHD

Elantric

For comparison

Here's the 2007 Fender Strat VG  - built in the USA, and based upon a standard USA Strat

QuoteAfter a 10-year research and design partnership with music technology pioneer Roland Corporation, Fender have unveiled the first modeling instrument that they say is worthy of being called a Strat. The revolutionary new Fender VG Stratocaster offers guitarists instant alternate tunings, a selection of dead-on electric guitar models, acoustic and 12-string guitar sounds, and moreâ€"all with the turn of a knob. No special outboard gear, cables, or accessories required.
Fender say that this breakthrough instrument means that guitarists no longer have to drag multiple guitars to a gig to get the right sound for each song, or make audiences suffer through mid-set delays while they re-tune instruments or adjust amp settings. In the studio, say Fender, the VG Stratocaster is equally advantageous, letting guitarists whip through a collection of breathtaking guitar tones without breaking a sweat.
Fender do stress though, that, just as importantly, the Fender VG Stratocaster is at its heart a rock-solid U.S.-made American Series Strat, with all the innate signature tone and feel for which the instrument is so revered - Guitarists can simply pick it up, plug it in, and play.
Here’s what Fender say about the ideas behind this latest innovation… ‘Wouldn't it be nice to flip a switch on a Stratocaster and, all of a sudden, be in an alternate tuning? Wouldn't it be nice to turn a knob on its pickguard and suddenly have a clear acoustic guitar sound, the roar of a humbucking pickup, the signature snap of a Telecaster® guitar and the lush fullness of a 12-string? That was the idea behind the VG Strat: a single, incredibly versatile instrument that delivers 37 serious Fender Stratocaster, Telecaster, humbucking, 12-string and acoustic sounds, plus five alternate tunings, all at the simple flip of a switch or the twist of a knobâ€"and all in the gracefully familiar form of the Stratocaster.’
Justin Norvell, Senior Marketing Manager for Fender told us, "We felt strongly that keeping the instrument simple was the way to go. Usually, the more functionality you add, the more complicated an instrument becomes. So we kept the VG Stratocaster pared down to the essentials, making it easy to pick up and play. After all, playing a Fender Strat shouldn't require the study of a phone-book-sized owner's manual"

here's the typical "guts" for this model.
http://tomsguitarservice.blogspot.com/2010/10/vg-stratocaster.html

2007 era press video for the Fender VG Strat

steadystate

Another Roland retread.  No real progress since the VG-8.  Ten years from now, they will *still* be producing the same COSM technology, full of bugs, with different packaging.

Kevin M

I don't get it....why another VG Strat?  This was a failure, so what makes them think this (almost exact duplicate) will succeed?

aliensporebomb

Heck, I even know of a local store that still has an original VG strat.  Why would you buy one of these when you can get one of the older ones?  The GK3 out strat is of more interest.  If it's a USA neck then that would be nice to have but honestly it seems like the bean counters wanted to keep the GK brand going without massive expense (all the R&D for these things is long since done).  IMO On both the VG-5 and GC-1 you would need a Supervee Bladerunner to make it more acceptable as a guitar.  That's IMO.

So here's my question:
where's the GK4 (ultra low profile and wireless)?  Where's the Uber VG-110/GR-75 in a box?    Oh yeah, it's in the "don't work on this bin" along with any updates for the VG-99.

Thinking: The video for the VB-99 said they took ten years to design it, given that the VG-99 came out almost five years ago that means we potentially have another five years to wait and that's if they introduce a souped up version. 
Given the trend of the GR-55 I bet they do a smaller/scaled down version with some of the features streamlined to make it appeal to people who aren't total brainiacs.

paults

Quote from:  datsunrobbie on January 19, 2012, 01:07:31 PM
RolandConnect has a bunch of new stuff, just got the email

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=v-guitar

At least a couple are for service/software load - see the Tom's pics for the ones with a shield cutout.

So....somebody buy one, and compare the area around those seven and eight pin connectors to the GK diagrams in the GK-KIT-GT3 Owners Manual :)  A little reverse engineering may go a long way!

Elantric

aliensporebomb

I noticed something interesting.  I searched on "Roland VG" last night on ebay and found several earlier VG-strat bodies with the full electronics for sale sans necks.  My guess is: when they were blowing them out after first discontinuing them people were buying them for the necks, installing them on their own strats and then selling the bodies with the electronics.  Since those are USA strat bodies it might not be a bad deal for someone - I saw two last night.

I still think the GC-1 is more to my liking.  I like my externally connected VG devices - more flexibility.

montyrivers

G-5 Strat = Roland's best approach to squandering earnings from the GR-55's success.

mbenigni

Quote from:  montyrivers on February 26, 2012, 09:18:58 PM
G-5 Strat = Roland's best approach to squandering earnings from the GR-55's success.

It'll come down to whether it sounds any better than the VG-Strat.  Line 6 seems to have Roland beat already with the feature-rich JTV. I don't know if Roland took any cues from them in terms of battery technology etc. but if the G-5 is similarly improved in terms of alternate tuning and overall tone, it might actually appeal to me (yes I admit it) because I prefer the looks.

If I ever consider going back to a laptop rig, I'll need a solution for alternate tunings, and moving that to a guitar with a look and feel that's familiar (e.g. a strat) would be cool.  I'm actually kind of surprised that Fender didn't manage to move more of the old ones, honestly.  You'd think there'd be enough old Rolling Stones fans (or whomever) out there who'd be into a strat that readily switches to open tunings....

What Roland and Line 6 both need to get off their asses and manufacture is a guitar with alt tunings and audio to MIDI fully on board, e.g. to 5 pin and or USB.  No one's done a "proper" MIDI guitar (to my knowledge) since Parker's MIDIFly, and that tech is too old to track competitively at this point.

StratPlayer

I had a G-5 VG Strat on pre-order.  One of the main reasons I wanted the guitar was Drop D tuning.  I keep one guitar in Drop D and I wanted the luxury of not having to haul around an extra guitar.  It occurred to me the other day that the Drop D in the G-5 may only be the low E and so I emailed Roland and asked - unfortunately the Drop D does not tune down the high E.

I canceled my order.  If Roland ever does a firmware update to include the high E string I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Elantric

FWIW - those Drop D tunings are stock on the Tyler Variax.

Re Fender / Roland G-5 - its important NOT to assume anything, and I advise to read the owners manual prior to purchase. There are still a few folks out there who are under the false assumption the G-5 can connect to the VG-99 / GR-55 via 13 pin cable - wrong. 

http://www.roland.com/products/en/G-5/