Bandlab - Message regarding Cakewalk and Sonar

Started by admin, February 23, 2018, 03:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/cakewalk-rescued-bandlab-gibson-fire-sale/

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hello-from-BandLab-m3730905.aspx

Hello from BandLab
Hello everyone :-)

I hope you don't mind me jumping in and writing a note to everyone here. The positive messages (with many questions of course!) have been really kind and I believe I speak for everyone on the BandLab team in saying thank you.  This community is really incredible and we're honoured to be here and to be part of building the future of Cakewalk and SONAR.

We're now in the process of transition and migration of data, trademarks, build processes and other fun administrative things that are necessary when deals like this happen - but it's important for you all to know that we feel that the people in the community (especially the lifetime fans and users of the product) are the reason this incredible product has been around for more than 30 years and will live on many more into the future, so I'll try and stop in personally as much as I can to say hello and make sure questions are answered about the transition where possible.

An important thing we strongly believe in is to be as open and transparent as we are able to be - once the product roadmap and more information on our plans are ready within the new establishment, you guys will be the first to know. We'll keep updating the Announcement FAQ as often as we have something to update, but I quickly wanted to address a key concern I saw in and amongst the threads so far and immediately reassure everyone that even though the suite of Cakewalk & SONAR products is now within a new company, our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product.

As you can imagine, there is some complexity in this, and I am currently personally working through all of the agreements that have a $ per unit or % dollar amount and negotiating to remove them on the go-forward to ensure this is possible. We only have 2 left to go - they are specific replaceable bits of code and are a nice to have, but hopefully this moves quickly. If it's not something that can be achieved, we'll replace them with either our own technology or work with other partners who want to be part of future releases.

This may be TMI, but I thought it may be valuable for you guys to have some insight on what's already going on outside of changing passwords and rebuilding tables.

----

In other news, I'm also very happy to let you guys know that Noel Borthwick and Ben Staton will be joining our engineering team and we're actively looking for talent to expand our team further (PM if interested!).

I was very fortunate to get to know Noel through the process, and as our conversations developed I was very pleased to find someone whose experience and personal vision on the world of music creation matched the aggressive one that our team has here at BandLab Technologies. It didn't hurt either that he promised to teach me jazz guitar... 

With Ben, his passion for the project and personal story of joining Cakewalk from having started off as being a superfan really resonated with us and I'm very much looking foward to working with him too. We strongly believe that the best products come from thinking solely about what one would want as a user/consumer - it's a huge advantage to be one yourself.

There's a lot more we'll be able to share soon, and reading through all the posts here and around the web - I've seen nothing but love (famous last words ) for Cakewalk, SONAR and the community that has supported it over the years through good times and bad.

I think I'd better not say anymore, we'd rather under-promise and over-deliver, than over-promise and let you guys down.  I hope you'll give our team a chance to earn your respect and for us to make great music together for many years to come.

With sincere regards,

Meng

p.s I will take responsibility for mistakenly coding in "Hello, Bakers"!!  It won't happen again...

admin

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Lives-Your-Questions-Answered-m3730740.aspx

Sonar Lives - Your Questions Answered
Bandlab has taken on Cakewalk/Sonar IP (and some assets). They have already put up a new website.

Here are some of the most important Q & As;

Will anyone from the original Cakewalk development team be joining BandLab?
Absolutely. More details will be shared soon.

Is the old website still relevant or active?
No. Certain features on www.cakewalk.com may still work, but we are now in a migration process to ensure everything that has been acquired will be safely transferred as well as archiving the old site onto a legacy subdomain.

Will the Cakewalk forums continue to be available?
Yes! The Cakewalk forums are valuable resources for bakers as well as other professionals in the music community. We plan on keeping the peer-to-peer forums active.

I'm an existing or old SONAR user and have questions about my old account or subscription or want a refund.
BandLab Technologies did not acquire the operating company of Cakewalk Inc., only the complete set of intellectual property, patents, trademarks and certain assets necessary or related to the entire Cakewalk product suite.

For users of Cakewalk from before 21st February 2018 – please refer to the original Gibson/Cakewalk announcement FAQ here.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000087/Gibson-Cakewalk-Announcement-FAQ

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Hello-from-BandLab-m3730905-p5.aspx#3731190

Kevin M

I wonder if they're going to continue with the subscription model; it'd be nice if they didn't!

germanicus

Cakewalk is now free and available from Bandlab.  They made the top tier version - Platinum - available (without some of the 3rd party plugins). You need a bandlab account.
Interesting to see how this plays out. This may be an attempt to grab market share and make money off of add on products.

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Rodrigo Schwarz

I paid for my Sonar a few years ago, but anyway, I'm glad my DAW now has a future. Congratulations to Bandlab for the initiative.
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

admin

http://cdm.link/2018/10/cakewalk-free-daw-windows-update/

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-at-aes-with-new-features-and-bright-future/

http://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Free Cakewalk DAW for Windows gets big updates, more stretchy audio
Peter Kirn - October 26, 2018  2 Comments     
Welcome to an alternate universe. You knew the world where acquisitions killed products. In this one, products get better, faster – and go from costing hundreds of dollars to being totally free. Let's catch up with what's new in Cakewalk for Windows.

First, DAWs – music production software bundling lots of different features – do as much as they do because producing music is pretty demanding. Multitrack recording, editing, arrangement, working with patterns and sequences, working with audio, mixing, mastering, effects, instruments ... a lot of tools go into this process. They're therefore a big investment of time. Having to start out by also investing a bunch of money can stop people from moving forward at all.

So Cakewalk gives you what had been one of the leading tools on Windows, and makes it free for everyone. It's not the friendliest to beginners by any stretch, but a lot of musicians and producers swear by it.

It's free now following an acquisition by online music service platform developer BandLab (and a return to the name "Cakewalk" from the name "SONAR," which never caught on):

But if you thought "free" meant you'd mostly just see small updates, you'd be wrong. Many of Cakewalk's previous developers, and tech lead Noel Borthwick, jumped to the new company. They were boasting at the pro-focused AES (Audio Engineering Society) conference in New York that they're making rapid progress under new ownership. They say that means bug fixes, greater stability, and a more usable program – plus new features.

What's new:

They've integrated the standard élastique Pro time and pitch stretching engine, so you can work with sound more fluidly. That's become something of an industry standard of late. They've also continued to improve their own AudioSnap engine.

There's now more advanced editing and event filtering of MIDI, across multiple tracks and in the piano roll editor.

The UI has been updated with new themes, and there's better pop-up help and notifications to keep you oriented.

VST compatibility is improved and optimized.

And they remain committed to pro users with, for instance, Dante driver improvements.

--

Version 2018.09

Features & Enhancements

Integrated zplane élastique Pro V3 audio stretching and pitch shifting
Default stretch methods can be specified in the Preferences dialog
Transpose, Length, and Fit to Time commands work on all clip types, including Groove clips, AudioSnap clips, Region FX clips, and slip stretched clips
Slip stretching can also be performed when the edit filter is set to show audio transients.
AudioSnap enabled clips display a clip icon in the top right corner
AudioSnap clips show Auto Stretch icon when Clip Follows Project Tempo is enabled
AudioSnap palette options now directly opens Preferences page for settings
Optimizations and enhancements to time/pitch stretching and AudioSnap workflow
Customize or remove Project Open notification affirmations
Toast notification informs you when a new Cakewalk update is available

Bug Fixes

Changing the Online Render mode for slip stretch can cause crash/glitches
Looping causes stretched clip to become partially silent
Slip Stretch cursor appears with Move tool
Crop tool appears when holding CTRL with the Move tool
Slip stretch is available without the key modifiers if cursor is placed in bottom corner of a clip
Waveform display in split clip appears to adjust crop when slip stretching
Cropping slip stretched clip shows 000% in header
AudioSnap average tempo can show negative value
AudioSnap properties do not appear when Enable Stretch is engaged in Clip Properties Inspector
Clip Follows Project Tempo menu item in AudioSnap context menu does not match actual state
Transient edits and merged markers from other tracks can be discarded when toggling AudioSnap Off/On
When slip editing, active AudioSnap changes appear in waveform even if AudioSnap is disabled
With slip edited clips, active AudioSnap changes are rendered even when AudioSnap is disabled
Clip Properties Time Format setting persists across multiple open projects
Transposing stereo audio file with Radius creates flat line
Process > Transpose can fail or render static when transposing clips at different bit depths
Potential crash on project load
Potential crash in Help Module with German/Japanese text
Potential crash when exiting if the app is not registered

Elastique Compatibility

Elastique Efficient and Elastique Pro are the new default online/offline stretch methods for audio clips.

Elastique is only available in Cakewalk release 2018.09 and higher. Because prior versions of Cakewalk (or SONAR) do not support this feature, projects utilizing Elastique as a stretch method will not render properly in prior versions. A warning message will be displayed when you open a new Cakewalk project in an older version of the software. If you need to share project files with a prior version of Cakewalk, select one of the older stretch methods before saving the project. Alternatively, you can reset the stretch method in the earlier version of Cakewalk.

Elastique stretching with AudioSnap or slip stretching enabled can require larger disk read ahead depending on marker stretches. To optimize playback and reduce the potential for dropouts or audio glitches, we recommend a Playback I/O Buffer Size value of about 512 (KB) if you are experiencing any performance problems. You can change the Playback I/O Buffer Size value in Edit > Preferences > Audio – Sync and Caching.

Version 2018.08

Features & Enhancements

Global options to enable/disable toast notifications and specify timeout duration
AudioSnap transient marker tooltip now shows sample position, updates dynamically, and shows the original and current position in both samples and Measure:Beat:Tick when dragging markers
Default/inherited AudioSnap render mode names are shown in Track/Clip Properties Inspector
Improved Aim Assist UI

Bug Fixes

Toggling AudioSnap Enable/Disable in the AudioSnap Palette does not update the Clip Properties Inspector
AudioSnap: Follow Project Tempo and Enable Stretch should be mutually exclusive
Rare crash after selecting an audio device in the Welcome onboarding dialog
Aim Assist snap line not visible while moving clip if clip boundary is offscreen
Rare crash when hovering mouse over Clips pane time ruler
Aim Assist delta is not shown for Bus pane automation nodes
Aim Assist delta is not shown when drag selecting in area below last track
Aim Assist not visible in Clips pane time ruler after creating a new project
Aim Assist text obscured when moving mouse to far left/right of Clips pane
Invalid Aim Assist text shown when drag selecting before measure 1
Project load notification shows successful load when project file is missing

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-at-aes-with-new-features-and-bright-future/

shawnb

For the record, I had to rebuild my PC recently.  (My old 2009 PC still works, but it's getting a little long in the tooth...)

So I had to reinstall SONAR.  I had most of the old SONAR files saved, but I figured I'd try Bandlabs to see how it worked. 

Installation was a breeze.  SONAR works perfectly. 

I downloaded the Cakewalk Command Center, and used my old Cakewalk account credentials.  It had access to all of my previously purchased Cakewalk content...  Exactly as if Cakewalk was still around.

Very much like Adobe CC - it knows what you own, you just pick the items you want downloaded & reinstalled.  Works perfectly. 

It was extremely easy to get my full SONAR environment working again.  Even purchased content. 

No subscription.  Just use your old Cakewalk account.  All your license history is transferred.

I owned Platinum, and there was even a Platinum download. 

(I did have some wrinkles with very old libraries.  Some message about having the wrong version of Cakewalk.  No biggie - they were so old I didn't even remember I had owned 'em at some point...)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

gumtown

I used BandLab Cakewalk a few weeks ago and captured a live multitrack mix of my band playing a gig.
Worked perfectly for recording, and for later mixing down.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

germanicus

I'm using bandlab sonar. Can't say it's completely crash free, but neither was old sonar. I think this may have to do with my projects. Some are very old files and extremely complex (well over hundred audio tracks and dozens of synths and dsp fx).

Very pleased overall. After they went belly up I bought full version of cubase, which has gone used as a result of cakewalk revival.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4