Removing cigarette smell from used guitars

Started by lespauled, February 09, 2018, 08:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

If you buy used guitars, from time to time you notice that a guitar has a smell to it.  This happened to me in my recent purchase of 2 used guitars. 

When I got the guitars home, I noticed that the boxes (yes, they came in their original boxes) had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke.   I immediately removed the guitars from the boxes, and put the boxes outside in the recycling.   I let them sit for a day, to see if the smell was in the guitars also.

The next day, I walked by the guitars, and I could definitely notice a cigarette smell.  Not strong, but if you don't smoke, it is very irritating.  I, in fact, have found that I am allergic to it.  I can feel it affect my breathing.    So, something had to be done.

I looked up several ways to removes smells from the guitar.  I almost bought an Ozone Generator (actually I still might, but for other reasons).  But solution that I used was the simplest and cheapest.

I used a couple of old Chinese food containers that we saved for various uses.   A pint for a mixture of water and hand soap.  The other clean water.

I placed the guitar on a towel, and started washing it.  The plan was wash it with a sponge and the soapy water, and quickly rinse the sponge with the clean water, and remove the soapy water.  Then hit it with paper towels to completely dry it.  The whole thing took about a minute per side.   I did each side twice, being careful not to get any water in the cavities of the guitar.  I regularly cleaned out the clean water container, which had a distinct cigarette smell every time I dumped it out.   

I also did the neck and strings, basically scrubbing them with the sponge.  The neck took a little longer, because it seemed dirtier and I had to continually scrub, rinse and dry after a couple of fret were done.  I didn't want to leave the water on the neck, it would ruin the neck.   I put extra paper towels under the strings to get rid of any water I might have missed.  Thankfully, there wasn't any additional water on those paper towels.

After the cleaning, I did a regular cleaning with guitar cleaner/wax.  I also treated the neck using Dr Ducks.  After that, I walked away for about an hour, to clear my sinuses of any cigarette smell.   When I came back, I smelled the guitar, and didn't smell any cigarettes.   

Shingles

I find baby wipes work for getting cigarette smell off pre-owned guitars and other gear. I haven't found a way of getting it off the inside of guitar cases, however.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

FreeTime

Ozone is great for removing smells, but inhaling even low concentrations over time will cause permanent breathing problems, bad news if you're a singer or like taking a deep breath now and then. O3 is also hard on rubber parts and some plastics and paints, because it is so corrosive. The good news is it leaves no residue.

I was told O3 wants to be O2, so an O comes off but gets lonely and finds something, preferably organic, to attach to but by doing so rusts it in short order.

https://www.spartanwatertreatment.com/ozone-material-compatibility-chart.html

Tony Raven

Well, first, throw the strings out. Who in their right mind doesn't restring a newly purchased guitar? ;D

Second, tear it down. Take all the plastics off. If a boltie, separate neck from body.

A bit of cleaning, NOT involving slathering the guitar in water (soapy or otherwise): slightly damp sponge, fine. This is just to remove excess crud. DO NOT soak unprotected wood (or electrical components ::)). Clean all surfaces, particularly interior.

When dry, spritz lightly with unscented non-aerosol Febreze. As this may be off the market, I have a stash of cheap "First Force Fabric Refresher" I bought for $1 (32 oz.) from the Dollar Store.

Rub the fretboard down with lemon oil. If there's a lot of crud, this may take a couple of applications.

Reassemble guitar.

mooncaine

I've known a couple folks who've done historic art preservation, and their main tools seemed to be a supply of clean cotton cloth, distilled water, and patience. Damp cloth, not to much, and rub gently. Take months or years, they might, but they didn't hurt the 500 year old oil paintings or painted antiques with such tools.